Good Pub Grub

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Good Pub Grub

Post by Salford Trotter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Where did you end up ST??
Had a bit of a change of plan due illness in the family so didn't end up heading further than a restaurant in Monton but I'll deffo be trying a few of the recommendations out and i'll report back, thanks again
The Voice Of Reason

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
Had a bit of a change of plan due illness in the family so didn't end up heading further than a restaurant in Monton but I'll deffo be trying a few of the recommendations out and i'll report back, thanks again
Is Leo's still open in Monton, ST? Had a few very good evenings/nosebags in there.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:
Is Leo's still open in Monton, ST? Had a few very good evenings/nosebags in there.
It was Leo's we went too, they have a set menu Sun to Friday @ £11.50 for 3 courses and we couldn't complain as the food and wine were excellent. I first went to Leo's 26 years ago with my Mrs but a few years later he went bust and then sometime later opened up where he is now.
The Voice Of Reason

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:
It was Leo's we went too, they have a set menu Sun to Friday @ £11.50 for 3 courses and we couldn't complain as the food and wine were excellent. I first went to Leo's 26 years ago with my Mrs but a few years later he went bust and then sometime later opened up where he is now.
Do you ever get up to Puccini's in Swinton, ST? When I lived down there it was always the default restaurant for a group of us. Never short of superb.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Salford Trotter wrote:
Do you ever get up to Puccini's in Swinton, ST? When I lived down there it was always the default restaurant for a group of us. Never short of superb.
Yeah, I've been a few times and like you say it's great food with a great atmosphere but can be pricey! Typically we've ended up paying around £50/£60 per head for meal and a couple of bottles of decent wine. I can't fault ISIS which is on the 'top' road in Swinton formerly the Butchers Arms and is every bit as good food wise as Puccini's
The Voice Of Reason

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:33 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Wonder why it was busy?!

Not Valentines if that's what you're intimating. No special menu, reserved seating, nothing. Just shit service.
:D

Anyway, come to ours, you can pay in Monopoly money.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:47 am

Fancy a drive out today myself, the Shoulder/Pack Horse/Strawberry are all quite local to me, after a bit do isolation?

Didn't realise Lancashire Taverns has acquired the Chetham in Chapeltown tho, might check that out to complete the portfolio!

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:17 am

Have you been to the Crown at Worthington? Awesome steaks, bit heard they do a good Sunday Lunch.

Bob Smithy has acquired a new chef recently and its meant to be amazing, I think he was from a Micheline stared restaurant.

There's also Rivington Bar and Grill (which used to be The Ridgeway) next to Blackrod train station. That's been taken over recently by the owners of Il Toro in Horwich.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:38 pm

Sacked the drive off and decided to check out the Chetham Arms, got there and it appears to have shut down!? We were hungry by then so we nipped round to the Strawberry. Was alright, nowt spesh tbh. nice pint of Hoegarrden tho and 241 with the tastecard was a bonus.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:41 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Sacked the drive off and decided to check out the Chetham Arms, got there and it appears to have shut down!? We were hungry by then so we nipped round to the Strawberry. Was alright, nowt spesh tbh. nice pint of Hoegarrden tho and 241 with the tastecard was a bonus.
What did you have?

BTW, has anyone been up to The Pack Horse at Affetside since it changed hands?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Probably, when did it change?

I had steak & ale pie off the specials, Mavis had the posh bangers and mash - that was spot on tbf.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:19 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Sacked the drive off and decided to check out the Chetham Arms, got there and it appears to have shut down!? We were hungry by then so we nipped round to the Strawberry. Was alright, nowt spesh tbh. nice pint of Hoegarrden tho and 241 with the tastecard was a bonus.
What does this mean?
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:34 pm

Buy a 'tastecard' costs £30 for the year or summat. Get either two for one, or 50% off total food bill at participating restaurants.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:21 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
What did you have?

BTW, has anyone been up to The Pack Horse at Affetside since it changed hands?
Was there last Friday lunchtime. We had a Groupon voucher, a pressie from daughter, and although the food were alreet we were pushed in a corner table under the bar and had a very limited menu totally different to everyone else's. Liver pâté, burger and chips followed by liqueur coffee. The place was pretty empty.

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:39 pm

pubs with good grub are a rareity in my part of the world which is a shame because there is nothibng better than a good weekend meal at the pub. you can get good grub if your willing to pay similar prices to what you would in a top notch restruant
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:29 am

went for the Sunday Carvery at the Village Hotel in Bury on Sunday. 3 of the party have been in bed ever since sweating, shivering, spewing and shitting. coincidence?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:13 am

General Mannerheim wrote:went for the Sunday Carvery at the Village Hotel in Bury on Sunday. 3 of the party have been in bed ever since sweating, shivering, spewing and shitting. coincidence?

Only if they ate the same thing. Could be norovirus too. That's doing the rounds again.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:18 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:went for the Sunday Carvery at the Village Hotel in Bury on Sunday. 3 of the party have been in bed ever since sweating, shivering, spewing and shitting. coincidence?

Only if they ate the same thing. Could be norovirus too. That's doing the rounds again.
Or the plague. I've had the plague for the last five days. First day back in work since last Thursday and I'm thinking of crawling back to my pit again. I might live, I might not, I don't care anymore.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:36 pm

i went home yesterday lunchtime, and being a PAYE contractor this was a pretty big deal! slept from 3pm till 7am this morning. woke up completely soaked through with sweat, showered and came back to work. slowly feeling better and ive just eaten for the first time in 36hrs so we'll see how it goes...

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:41 pm

just read up on Norovirus, the sysmtoms are pretty much bob on the job.