The Gardening Bed

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Gardening Bed

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:We've been collecting apples this morning too. Got quite a few and they are huge. Dual purpose cookers/eaters. Might try making an apple pie...

Either those hens are huge, or I see now what Gary the Enfield's on about when he calls you tiny...

Nice looking cookers by the way, mine are all green and not very appetising looking.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:We've been collecting apples this morning too. Got quite a few and they are huge. Dual purpose cookers/eaters. Might try making an apple pie...

Either those hens are huge, or I see now what Gary the Enfield's on about when he calls you tiny...

Nice looking cookers by the way, mine are all green and not very appetising looking.
NEVER listen to anything GtE says. ;) I do have massive chickens!

Its a Blenheim Orange. I only know that cos my dad used to work in intellectual property for MAFF surrounding patenting apples and other fascinating stuff so he helps me with all my fruit related planting.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Either those hens are huge, or I see now what Gary the Enfield's on about when he calls you tiny...

Its a Blenheim Orange. I only know that cos my dad used to work in intellectual property for MAFF surrounding patenting apples and other fascinating stuff so he helps me with all my fruit related planting.
My cooking apples are Bramleys Seedling - I think, or rather, that's what I've been told. They make superb apple pies, but there's only so many apple pies a person can eat in a year...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Either those hens are huge, or I see now what Gary the Enfield's on about when he calls you tiny...

My cooking apples are Bramleys Seedling - I think, or rather, that's what I've been told. They make superb apple pies, but there's only so many apple pies a person can eat in a year...
Just made an apple pie for the twins tea. Feeling very domesticated. 8) Usually make crumble so no idea how it will turn out! :?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Nice. I've got one for tea too (or is that lunch, or supper? :? ) only I didn't make it, the missus did, but it's made from "my" apples 8) .
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:51 pm

lovely photo - send Jessie in after that one in the duck-pond...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Nice. I've got one for tea too (or is that lunch, or supper? :? ) only I didn't make it, the missus did, but it's made from "my" apples 8) .
Yeah, mine needs more practice!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:57 pm

thebish wrote:Image

lovely photo - send Jessie in after that one in the duck-pond...
:D A lot of them fell on there annoyingly. I need a bigger garden!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:14 pm

^ I always thought bigger was better. Now, finally, when we've a huge garden, half of it's wilderness, and year by year more is reverting.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:^ I always thought bigger was better. Now, finally, when we've a huge garden, half of it's wilderness, and year by year more is reverting.
If I had a bigger garden I might have some sheep, perhaps a cow. :D Mr GG is mean and says only chickens and ducks :(

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:^ I always thought bigger was better. Now, finally, when we've a huge garden, half of it's wilderness, and year by year more is reverting.
If I had a bigger garden I might have some sheep, perhaps a cow. :D Mr GG is mean and says only chickens and ducks :(
:shock: That's not a garden you're after - that's a farm!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Just a smallholding would do ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:42 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
hmmm... one where you didn't sell the lambs and calves and piglets for slaughter every year, I presume!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:48 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
hmmm... one where you didn't sell the lambs and calves and piglets for slaughter every year, I presume!
I'd buy your veal GG. :wink:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:25 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:If I had a bigger garden I might have some sheep, perhaps a cow. :D Mr GG is mean and says only chickens and ducks :(
I'd buy your veal GG. :wink:
I'll buy your chickens and ducks but only if you pluck (no innuendo's please) them first.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:25 am

Woo-hoo. Profit made on sale of apples... :D
After we'd packed as many as we could into the apple shed, we had about 900 left over, about evenly split into cookers and eaters. The eaters were about evenly split into small and large-ish. My neighbour threw them into boxes and took them to a Farmer's Market.
Expenses (petrol, stall, incidentals) came to £25. We'd decided to sell the eaters at 25p/15p and the cookers at 15p each, with leeway to drastically reduce if nobody was buying. As we didn't have a clue how much they'd sell for I was stunned to find he'd sold the lot for £157 and some loose change.
Which gave us £132 split three ways into £40/£40/£52. Not exactly a Richard Branson style entrepreneurial killing, but it's brightened my Monday morning up.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:27 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Woo-hoo. Profit made on sale of apples... :D
After we'd packed as many as we could into the apple shed, we had about 900 left over, about evenly split into cookers and eaters. The eaters were about evenly split into small and large-ish. My neighbour threw them into boxes and took them to a Farmer's Market.
Expenses (petrol, stall, incidentals) came to £25. We'd decided to sell the eaters at 25p/15p and the cookers at 15p each, with leeway to drastically reduce if nobody was buying. As we didn't have a clue how much they'd sell for I was stunned to find he'd sold the lot for £157 and some loose change.
Which gave us £132 split three ways into £40/£40/£52. Not exactly a Richard Branson style entrepreneurial killing, but it's brightened my Monday morning up.

blimey - well done your neighbour!! corporation tax?? :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:32 am

Bloody brilliant. :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:36 am

thebish wrote:

blimey - well done your neighbour!! corporation tax?? :wink:
Oh dear - Tax!? never thought of that. Maybe the EU can give me an apple subsidy to offset it or something?
It's a good job my neighbour exists - I just couldn't have been bothered to organise it, to be honest... :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:44 am

No animals for sale on my smallholding. I have a rule that I don't eat anything if I know its name after an unfortunate incident many years ago on my friends farm with Bould, the sheep I raised from a tiny lamb. :cry: