Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Dujon » Tue May 31, 2016 1:58 am

I'll PM you an e-mail address, bobo. It really depends on what you're interested in. Like many other countries it's a big place and specific points of interest can be a long way apart; that means travel and accommodation costs can pile up pretty quckly and much time spent in travelling.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 31, 2016 5:45 am

Not been, but my advice would be to stop off for a few days somewhere tropical to break up the journey a bit. Also, try and fly with someone that has one of the newer type of aircraft like A380 or the Dreamliners. Will make a difference to getting over the long journey.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:25 am

Anyone used airbnb before?

Just booked 4 nights in Antwerp and 3 nights in the Ardennes on their website. A city centre apartment and a 2 bedroomed gite for just over £600

That means, including my Eurotunnel fare I have booked a week's self catering for less than £800 :pissed:

I'm looking to visit France, Holland, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg all in the same week. They're all only 2 hours drive or so from where we're based.

:oyea:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:37 am

I love Antwerp, Bobo doesn't. You must visit Bruges, and take time out to go to Ypres (it will make you cry).
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:38 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:I love Antwerp, Bobo doesn't. You must visit Bruges, and take time out to go to Ypres (it will make you cry).

Went to Bruges on a weekend cruise a few years ago. Nice place. Antwerp is very central which is why we chose it. Hoping to get to Ypres and the Somme battlefields. I may leave the girls shopping that day.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Everyone to their own but I love Bruges & Ghent. Brussels is awful apart from one fantastic square but Antwerp I simply didn't get. The countryside is great though. Food extravagant. Beer very varied.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:53 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Everyone to their own but I love Bruges & Ghent. Brussels is awful apart from one fantastic square but Antwerp I simply didn't get. The countryside is great though. Food extravagant. Beer very varied.
Had a meeting in Ghent a little while back. It's a place I've driven past on countless occasions - a stunning little city. Well worth a day of your life.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Everyone to their own but I love Bruges & Ghent. Brussels is awful apart from one fantastic square but Antwerp I simply didn't get. The countryside is great though. Food extravagant. Beer very varied.
Had a meeting in Ghent a little while back. It's a place I've driven past on countless occasions - a stunning little city. Well worth a day of your life.

Ghent's where Bradley Wiggins was born isn't it?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:02 pm

Certainly is GTE. Also home to the excellent Ghent 6 days in November each year which is worth a trip

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:15 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I thowt he were from Chorley :oops:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I thowt he were from Chorley :oops:
Belgian born.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:54 pm

He's the Belgian born kid from Kilburn who calls Wigan his home with Australian parentage

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:16 am

[quote="jimbo"]He's the Belgian born kid from Kilburn who calls Wigan his home with Australian parentage[/quote]

Paul Weller isn't aussie!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:57 am

jimbo wrote:He's the Belgian born kid from Kilburn who calls Wigan his home with Australian parentage
His mother was a Brit.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:46 am

am off on my summer hollybobs to Holy Island next week - then for a week in a static caravan on the mainland nearby somewhere...

deal is - stay in big Manse on the island for free - in return for doing mon-fri morning prayers for half an hour at the St Cuthbert Centre... holiday for old rope! :D

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 am

thebish wrote:am off on my summer hollybobs to Holy Island next week - then for a week in a static caravan on the mainland nearby somewhere...

deal is - stay in big Manse on the island for free - in return for doing mon-fri morning prayers for half an hour at the St Cuthbert Centre... holiday for old rope! :D
Hope there's a camera going with you! I was up at Holy island last year and I had all my camera tripod plants pre-planned only to be thwarted by heavy mist and rain.

Heck of a drive for you. Not going up on two wheels are you?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:03 am

thebish wrote:am off on my summer hollybobs to Holy Island next week - then for a week in a static caravan on the mainland nearby somewhere...

Can you sub contract the prayer thing? :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:08 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

aye - will be getting the missus to do that bit! :D

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:09 am

thebish wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

aye - will be getting the missus to do that bit! :D
Good man :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:14 am

clapton is god wrote:

Hope there's a camera going with you! I was up at Holy island last year and I had all my camera tripod plants pre-planned only to be thwarted by heavy mist and rain.

Heck of a drive for you. Not going up on two wheels are you?

nahhh - family holiday (taking 2 grown-up kids and the missus) - so car. Will be taking the camera. I was up there (on the bike) last year and took a couple of shots..