Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Certainly "The Square" right in the centre can be a bit hairy. But as Bruce says out on the coast, some very good hotels and some superb beaches. I'd also add that "Conferences" in AN are really just jollies. :-)
Five days for a half day conference. But hussht, you'll ruin it for everybody. :D

And yes, The Square is where I meant, but there's much more to AN than The Square.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:47 pm

Anyway, Hoboh, my bezzy has a villa in Paphos which he rents out. I can PM you the details if you like.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Anyway, Hoboh, my bezzy has a villa in Paphos which he rents out. I can PM you the details if you like.
I'll keep that in mind if it's okay with you for now, have to research flights etc. will absolutely not fly with sleazy jet or Paddy airways even if they paid me. :wink:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:55 am

been the holiday village in Paphos twice. Hotel Aliathon is its proper name. really like it there. this is nothing to do with being in Paphos tho, we seldom venture out of the digs for anything other than the (brilliant) beaches, we did eat in Paphos one night last time there, in the tripadvisors number 1 recommended traditional Cypriot restaurant! called Laona Restaurant; we were instantly dubious by all the framed tripadvisor certificates and newspaper review clippings on the walls, then the offer of a discount &/or free drinks if we left positive reviews there and then when asking for the bill!! it was quite nice at the time but unfortunately all four of us spent the next 48hrs spraying brown liquid out of both ends like a fire hydrant! every cloud tho, we returned from 2 weeks all inclusive a stone lighter then before we went!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:28 am

General Mannerheim wrote:been the holiday village in Paphos twice. Hotel Aliathon is its proper name. really like it there. this is nothing to do with being in Paphos tho, we seldom venture out of the digs for anything other than the (brilliant) beaches, we did eat in Paphos one night last time there, in the tripadvisors number 1 recommended traditional Cypriot restaurant! called Laona Restaurant; we were instantly dubious by all the framed tripadvisor certificates and newspaper review clippings on the walls, then the offer of a discount &/or free drinks if we left positive reviews there and then when asking for the bill!! it was quite nice at the time but unfortunately all four of us spent the next 48hrs spraying brown liquid out of both ends like a fire hydrant! every cloud tho, we returned from 2 weeks all inclusive a stone lighter then before we went!!
Thanks and thanks to all those who have posted, we may even go before Christmas, diary willing.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:32 am

Center Parcs (Whinfell Forest) on Monday for 5 days of doing whatever the f*ck we want, whenever the f*ck we want to do it.

Love the place
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:30 pm

is it not cheaper to go on a frickin Caribbean Cruise tho!?

never been to a CP, really keen to try it but whenever we price it up it never rings true!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:51 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:is it not cheaper to go on a frickin Caribbean Cruise tho!?

never been to a CP, really keen to try it but whenever we price it up it never rings true!
During term time it's worked out £440.00 for 4 adults, 1 4yo and a baby for 5 days. Erica's only in nursery school though, so we can still get away with taking her out. Don't think you have that same luxury!

It's dear during school holidays if you don't book well in advance.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:53 pm

I looked last week to see about New Year.. Same lodge we're staying at next week (sleeps 8 ) was £3700 for 5 days!!!

Looked again today to show somebody at work and they were all full.. Not sure who the f*ck would pay that much!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:35 pm

My younger brother and his Mrs take the kids to the CP up by Penrith, and even if they take them in term time I still don't see how they justify the expense. The last time they went they couldn't get a table in the restaurant either and had to drive for miles to find a family-friendly pub. Much better off renting a caravan on White Cross Bay and packing the kids off to Go Ape for the day.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:My younger brother and his Mrs take the kids to the CP up by Penrith, and even if they take them in term time I still don't see how they justify the expense. The last time they went they couldn't get a table in the restaurant either and had to drive for miles to find a family-friendly pub. Much better off renting a caravan on White Cross Bay and packing the kids off to Go Ape for the day.
See, for a week in a proper nice pad in the middle of a forest (with absolutely mint facilities), I don't think £110 a-head is bad at all. Never personally struggled to get into any of the restaurants (you sometimes need to book in the evenings for the steakhouse and Indian restaurant, but always seem to have availability when you want it).

Besides, there's a fully kitted out kitchen with an on-site shop and they can also deliver takeaway to your door if you don't want to leave the lodge.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:My younger brother and his Mrs take the kids to the CP up by Penrith, and even if they take them in term time I still don't see how they justify the expense. The last time they went they couldn't get a table in the restaurant either and had to drive for miles to find a family-friendly pub. Much better off renting a caravan on White Cross Bay and packing the kids off to Go Ape for the day.
Depends what you want. If you have kids then CP with its games console rooms in the lodges, pool tables in the games room etc and activities on site is absolutely great. As an adults only thing it is as you say far better value to go somewhere else.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:23 pm

Bloody hell, we had to make do with a pack of top trumps, a fly away football and a water logged tent when I were a lad. As long as I got my slush puppy and a pack of space invaders if was reet :D

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:57 pm

I guess the best bet is to rope in a couple more full paying adults! We priced it up for just he 4 of us (2 adults /2 kids) I know a few people who go regular and they all love it! Gonna look into it again...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:52 pm

I'm with the "every time I've looked, it's been cheaper to book two weeks on that Carribean Cruise" mob...

Have never been able to go in term time, as we've always had at least one of our two kids, in school. Just about to book next years, and I probably will keep number 1 son out of school for three days as it knocks about a grand off the tab.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:34 pm

I've just clocked that Wizzair have flights to Riga from £12.49 one way early next year. Time for a city break I think.....
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Always love "booking day"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks for all the info about Cyprus, the other half has decided she needs some sun and warmth before Christmas so we are off to the canneries for a fortnight beginning of December.
Madeira run it a close second, actually apart from maybe bumping in to Ronaldo's mum it was probably my preferred choice, there are some really good hotels there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Are the canneries North or South of the Potteries?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:12 am

Worthy4England wrote:Are the canneries North or South of the Potteries?
:lol:

There are times this bloody laptop is living rather dangerously, the window is nearby, mind I should check :roll:

Still I'll think of you whilst basking in the warmth with a nice scotch :D