Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:48 pm

If you've never been before I'd definitely say the South-west: maybe even some of the smaller cities around there (Wells, Bath) which have a fair few places to crash and glorious countryside to explore a few minutes out (plus bristol not too far away if you want to explore city).

Personally i'd go a bit further down to Devon, which has some dream coastline to explore as well as a lot of decent country pubs and I'd imagine a fair few B&Bs, but then again I don't have a fam so dunno how feasible that is!

Walked up Bolt Tail down Devon last year, tremendous! Views all the way across the Cornish coastline

(not my pic)

Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:50 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:never had to worry about term times before but its half term week ending the 31st Oct. I was just looking at doing something for a few days, like maybe take Thurs & Fri off and stay till Sunday?

original thought was Centre Parcs but i could literally get a weeks all inclusive in the canaries for less cash! next thought was a caravan somewhere South Coast / South West? Cornwall, Devon, Dorset? all places ive never explored, which makes choosing tricky. also mostly only offer 4 nights mon-fri & 3 nights fri-mon neither of which really work. also wanna take the dog.

Please inspire me?
I often head the other direction for shorter stays up to Scotland - I've always thought the drive down to Devon would take too much out - as it happens, it's about the same distance Bolton to Devon as it is Bolton to Oban.

Know what you mean about Centre Parcs - surprised they're still in business, with what they charge.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:53 pm

Centre Parcs is absolutely brill though, but only works out reasonably if you get 8+ in one of the big houses
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote: I often head the other direction for shorter stays up to Scotland - I've always thought the drive down to Devon would take too much out - as it happens, it's about the same distance Bolton to Devon as it is Bolton to Oban.
Don't know what it's like driving today, but at one time going north was always a picnic, traffic wise, compared to heading for Cornwall, Kent, or even Barry Island.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote: I often head the other direction for shorter stays up to Scotland - I've always thought the drive down to Devon would take too much out - as it happens, it's about the same distance Bolton to Devon as it is Bolton to Oban.
Don't know what it's like driving today, but at one time going north was always a picnic, traffic wise, compared to heading for Cornwall, Kent, or even Barry Island.
That's the badger.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Shed loads of stuff will be shut in Cornwall, plus those roads are an absolute bitch with a caravan. Devon far easier, though other peoples' idea of going North sounds good.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Id happily go North but ill already be in Farnborough for work that week, so was thinking they could drive down and pick me up on the way to anywhere further south.

I stayed/worked in Bristol for over a year so dont fancy round there.

really fancy Centre Parcs tho but the cost is staggering, and i dont want any other f uckers to come either!

id be after renting a static btw, or a lodge/aptmt/cottage. no towing owt.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Cotswolds .... &/or Chiltern. Take a look at cottage hire (Blakes etc.). Could go to the Harry Potter place as well.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:06 pm

never seen HP

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:26 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:never seen HP
Speechless.

Your children deserve to be introduced to it in due course.

Anyway, Cotswolds or Chilterns remain a good option. Quite a few hotels with pools and okay areas for kiddies. Nice places to see and stroll. Some decent towns if the weather's a bit meh. Car museum to the Northern end, Warwick Castle there too.

Just an option.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:46 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:never seen HP
Speechless.

Your children deserve to be introduced to it in due course.

Anyway, Cotswolds or Chilterns remain a good option. Quite a few hotels with pools and okay areas for kiddies. Nice places to see and stroll. Some decent towns if the weather's a bit meh. Car museum to the Northern end, Warwick Castle there too.

Just an option.
Wife and daughter went there about three weeks ago. Wife said it was absolutely fantastic. They did Heights of Abraham and some Midland's safari park on the trip, but it was Warwick that got the accolades.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:36 pm

If they're coming to you by train you could pick them up in Reading and, again rent a cottage, but in the New Forest area. Lovely and again lots to do.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:08 am

yeah sounds good, ill look into it... prefer to go coastal tho tbh

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:03 pm

F*ck me General.. You know what.. F*ck off

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:23 pm

boltonboris wrote:F*ck me General.. You know what.. F*ck off
:lol: That's what I love about this place. Just one big, disfunctional family....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:17 am

Paid my deposit for next year's holiday, yesterday.

Golfing in Marbella. Niiiiice.

May the bridges I burn light your way

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:49 am

clapton is god wrote:Short break booked for annual mid-October hol in Southwold, Suffolk. Not been to this part of the country previously so very much looking forwards to it. Small B&B with luxury room. Hell of a drive to get there though.
Struck incredibly lucky with the weather. Went expecting rain but got brilliant sunshine for two days. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, one of the best meals I have ever had (fillet steak must have been 3" thick!) and found the best pie shop in the world.

Only downside was the six hour drive down and the six and a half hour drive back. Beautiful place though!

First image off the camera - got up early and went for a stroll before breakfast. Found a sea mist just rolling in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:46 pm

clapton is god wrote:found the best pie shop in the world.
Now you're getting giddy! :-)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:53 pm

View from my deck. No pie shop though :(