General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:57 pm

This may be of interest to Monty and Dujon. I don't have the facility for uploading pictures but the last two photos in the link show a really eye-catching bit of history from a train crash back in 1918. This is depicted on the pub end wall and visible from all the area around. It's well done and a great idea.

https://whatpub.com/pubs/BOL/086/sweet- ... ern-bolton
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:00 pm

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 pm

^^
Thanks A.T, that's the puffer. Amazingly, no one was hurt. :wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 pm
^^
You're welcome. Just Right click the image and copy image address, then paste between the img tag thingywotsits on here :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:31 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
^^
You're welcome. Just Right click the image and copy image address, then paste between the img tag thingywotsits on here :D
Ah,right, I should have known that. :oops: :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:49 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
^^
It was a goods train and Crook Street wasn't a passenger station. Although if it went through a brick wall as in your picture, it's lucky there was no one on t'other side.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Who would have thought it? BL3!!!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:25 pm

I went into Bolton via Bradshawgate today. First time in Bolton for a while but my first time along there in years. It looks like a bloody war zone!

The old BMW garage building, all the insurance buildings (Swinton) and in fact every building on the right hand side up to Great Moor st was empty and boarded up including Cash Generator. The first occupied building was a half pub/half mini cab rank - The Metro. Wtf?

I knew many town centres including my own were struggling but it really shocked me. On the upside the new bus interchange looks pretty decent
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:25 pm
I went into Bolton via Bradshawgate today. First time in Bolton for a while but my first time along there in years. It looks like a bloody war zone!

The old BMW garage building, all the insurance buildings (Swinton) and in fact every building on the right hand side up to Great Moor st was empty and boarded up including Cash Generator. The first occupied building was a half pub/half mini cab rank - The Metro. Wtf?

I knew many town centres including my own were struggling but it really shocked me. On the upside the new bus interchange looks pretty decent
I trust you didn't enter the Marketplace or The Vaults then, Speeky?

The town centre's moved, basically. There is a jazzy new BMW/Porsche dealership on the site of the old greyhound stadium if that's what you're in the market for, or was it cash Generator? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:25 pm

Was that before, or after you drove your bus along it?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 pm

I visited the vaults a while back and was pretty impressed. The town centre is certainly shrinking it just surprised me at the condition of the outlying streets that used to have thriving businesses on them. Bank St looks like it's ready to collapse, there's a huge unused and boarded multi storey car park across from there and what was once Sweetens is in a sorry state.

I hear Bury get a lot of praise and rightly so, but as their centre has shifted north of the rock, their outlying streets and shop premises are going the same way.

BP - it was during!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 pm
I visited the vaults a while back and was pretty impressed. The town centre is certainly shrinking it just surprised me at the condition of the outlying streets that used to have thriving businesses on them. Bank St looks like it's ready to collapse, there's a huge unused and boarded multi storey car park across from there and what was once Sweetens is in a sorry state.

I hear Bury get a lot of praise and rightly so, but as their centre has shifted north of the rock, their outlying streets and shop premises are going the same way.

BP - it was during!
Well, your mates in the council are chiefly responsible. They divorced Bradshawgate from the town centre by allowing Primark (yes, Primark) to extend their outlet of shoddy shite across the bottom entrance to the Arndale.
Then, there's their startling lack of commercial acumen. Allowing retailers to open on the out of town retail parks that they sanctioned actively drags business away from the town centre. It doesn't take a genius.
May the bridges I burn light your way

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:26 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:43 pm

BP - it was during!

The car park is no longer structurally sound but it is being converted to an 'artisan centre'. The first tenants were supposed to be a micro brewery. Not sure it has taken off yet or if there are any other tenants.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:42 pm

A bit of a triumph( quite a decent one actually) for a local based firm:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/155 ... _20_notes/

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 pm

If the condition of the back up and siren batteries in my alarm system is anything to go by, I sure as hell will not be investing in a hybrid car!!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Seen it today: The first house with fairy lights all round the window and a Merry Christmas sighn up in the middle. :crazy:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:52 am

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:44 pm

Which one are you? :D
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Young uns nowadays

The group that our business is in, have started an apprenticeship scheme.. Last month they took a 17 year old girl on. she had her first month review yesterday to see how she was finding it and what plans were in place to get more out of her etc...

She opened with "It's not what I want to do. I want to do Marketing or graphic design (not feck* UNI FFS!) but my Mum has told me I have to stick it out until I find a better job"

I couldn't fvckin believe it. Imagine saying that to somebody at director and managerial level, who actually do it and have done it for a considerable amount of time?! A complete lack of respect and an embarrassing sense of entitlement.

I would't mind (well, I would), but you can't talk to her without her going red in the cheeks at 17 years old and she wants to do Marketing!

Promptly shown the door.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:52 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:12 pm
Young uns nowadays

The group that our business is in, have started an apprenticeship scheme.. Last month they took a 17 year old girl on. she had her first month review yesterday to see how she was finding it and what plans were in place to get more out of her etc...

She opened with "It's not what I want to do. I want to do Marketing or graphic design (not feck UNI FFS!) but my Mum has told me I have to stick it out until I find a better job"

I couldn't fvckin believe it. Imagine saying that to somebody at director and managerial level, who actually do it and have done it for a considerable amount of time?! A complete lack of respect and an embarrassing sense of entitlement.

I would't mind (well, I would), but you can't talk to her without her going red in the cheeks at 17 years old and she wants to do Marketing!

Promptly shown the door.
sense of entitlement
That said it all. Thanks to all the luvies and do gooders and sinister Corbyn types, these pricks think just being born without actually doing anything other than taking brain wash courses at school or Uni entitles them to a living.

God help us if we ever go to war on a large scale, we will need big walls and machine guns to deal with the spineless deserters.