General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7767
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:15 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:35 pm
Now is the time to pray before you go to bed. Much can be gained with nothing to lose. I urge you to spare just a few minutes to pray it will end soon. Think of all the poor kids in the world. Laugh at me if you will, but as a lifetime Christian, I believe.You should too. Pray to God who is mightier than all. It will cost you nothing. God Bless.
I'm not laughing either Tango but I have to ask, apart from to the person with faith praying, what is the 'much that can be gained' towards this issue?

Genuine question - how does me praying help stop it, or ease the consequences of this virus, as opposed to say, putting a carrot in my ear?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27374
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:30 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:15 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:35 pm
Now is the time to pray before you go to bed. Much can be gained with nothing to lose. I urge you to spare just a few minutes to pray it will end soon. Think of all the poor kids in the world. Laugh at me if you will, but as a lifetime Christian, I believe.You should too. Pray to God who is mightier than all. It will cost you nothing. God Bless.
I'm not laughing either Tango but I have to ask, apart from to the person with faith praying, what is the 'much that can be gained' towards this issue?

Genuine question - how does me praying help stop it, or ease the consequences of this virus, as opposed to say, putting a carrot in my ear?
If it gives people hope then its no bad thing right now.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38829
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:25 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:15 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:35 pm
Now is the time to pray before you go to bed. Much can be gained with nothing to lose. I urge you to spare just a few minutes to pray it will end soon. Think of all the poor kids in the world. Laugh at me if you will, but as a lifetime Christian, I believe.You should too. Pray to God who is mightier than all. It will cost you nothing. God Bless.
I'm not laughing either Tango but I have to ask, apart from to the person with faith praying, what is the 'much that can be gained' towards this issue?

Genuine question - how does me praying help stop it, or ease the consequences of this virus, as opposed to say, putting a carrot in my ear?
Each unto his own Harry. This isn't a Crusade. I just prefer to believe that the combined prayers and beliefs of the world's 1.3 billion Catholics will have some bearing in time. If miracles were so easily come by it would be Bibles, Amazon ran out of, not home cooking recipes. Belief without proof is what religion is about; that and the knowledge that a greater entity than us all exists that we can turn to and lean on in our most troubled times. Belief in God is its own reward, and the knowledge that you're never,ever alone when you pray but part of God's world-wide army is a comforting thought, at the very least for me. Indeed it's carried me through most of my life. It's a pretty good feeling. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20867
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm

Eat lobster, it's good, it's good.

I'm glad faith is a comfort to those who have it but it's worth remembering others don't and they have their reasons.

Not a pop, I know TD is trying to help and for those who have faith it must be nice to want to share it with others.

To others though, it looks like any God was asleep at the wheel. Not particularly comforting.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7767
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm
Not a pop, I know TD is trying to help and for those who have faith it must be nice to want to share it with others.
In one. I get that lots of people with faith take great comfort in prayer and their religion.

What I dont get is why Tango would be urging those of us without faith to pray. It makes no difference to the situation either way and if it did, you'd think a billion and a half Catholics would be enough to crack it.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4269
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:49 pm

I guess we all disappoint our parents from time to time.

My Old Man made do with the look, that look always scared the shit out of me. I doubt he ever deliberately gave me an infection.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38829
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm glad faith is a comfort to those who have it but it's worth remembering others don't and they have their reasons.
Accepted and respected as it always should be, Pru. No offence intended. It's a very stressful time for us all. Like I said, each to his own and my post had only good intention.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12756
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:59 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm glad faith is a comfort to those who have it but it's worth remembering others don't and they have their reasons.
Accepted and respected as it always should be, Pru. No offence intended. It's a very stressful time for us all. Like I said, each to his own and my post had only good intention.
F air enough, Tango. However, I hope you will join me in putting some faith in science to come up with vaccinations and other cures. Science actually has a better track record than miracles in the last century. Nonetheless I accept that those with faith may believe the researchers who come up with cures may be divinely inspired.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12906
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:33 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:07 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:59 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm glad faith is a comfort to those who have it but it's worth remembering others don't and they have their reasons.
Accepted and respected as it always should be, Pru. No offence intended. It's a very stressful time for us all. Like I said, each to his own and my post had only good intention.
F air enough, Tango. However, I hope you will join me in putting some faith in science to come up with vaccinations and other cures. Science actually has a better track record than miracles in the last century. Nonetheless I accept that those with faith may believe the researchers who come up with cures may be divinely inspired.
You could, of coarse, simply hedge your bet and do both.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20867
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm

Alright Pascal, how have you been?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20867
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:59 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm glad faith is a comfort to those who have it but it's worth remembering others don't and they have their reasons.
Accepted and respected as it always should be, Pru. No offence intended. It's a very stressful time for us all. Like I said, each to his own and my post had only good intention.
Of course, TD :oyea:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4269
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Someone wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:56 am
trouble is, Tango, I'm an atheist.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24885
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:17 pm

Amen to that.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12906
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:16 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm
Alright Pascal, how have you been?
Subtle, very subtle :oyea:

Now someone not so...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... brazilians

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7749
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:19 pm

My brother in law has been asked to be on the chaplaincy team at the new Nightingale Hospital. I’ll certainly be praying for him, that’s for sure.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38829
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:39 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:19 pm
My brother in law has been asked to be on the chaplaincy team at the new Nightingale Hospital. I’ll certainly be praying for him, that’s for sure.
Add my prayers, and my best regards G.G.May God keep them all safe. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7767
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:08 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:19 pm
My brother in law has been asked to be on the chaplaincy team at the new Nightingale Hospital. I’ll certainly be praying for him, that’s for sure.
What position does he play?

In all seriousness GG, I'll stick a carrot in my ear and wish him all the best too. I imagine that's going to be pretty grim place in the coming days.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7749
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:08 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:19 pm
My brother in law has been asked to be on the chaplaincy team at the new Nightingale Hospital. I’ll certainly be praying for him, that’s for sure.
What position does he play?

In all seriousness GG, I'll stick a carrot in my ear and wish him all the best too. I imagine that's going to be pretty grim place in the coming days.
:D Not a football fan sadly.

Cheers Tango and HG. He went to Grenfell too for similar reasons which can’t have been easy and also had the awful experience of losing his own son at just a couple of months old. He’s good with people, pretty laid back and very calm in a crisis. Can’t go til there’s been tests and stuff done but then he’s looking at a week on then 2 weeks in quarantine then back again I think. Living up in London all the time. My sister is pretty worried, along with no doubt the families of all NHS staff on the front line now.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38829
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Went to the front door at 8-0'clock tonight to applaud the N.H.S and medical staff (and friends and neighbours in our case) for their dedication and hard work. I've lived in Farnworth for nigh on forty years now, and despite the idiot element, there are some lovely folk here. Everybody obeys the rules yet help each other at a distance.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27374
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:20 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52312560

This has all the hallmarks of a good yes minister script.
On exercise, the guidance lists driving to the countryside for a walk as "reasonable" if "far more time" is spent walking than driving.

But it adds that driving for a "prolonged period with only brief exercise" is not reasonable.

That would appear to indicate that someone who drove for an hour to a beauty spot for a two-hour walk would not be contravening the rules.
Under the guidance, police are advised not to intervene if people stop to rest or eat lunch while on a long walk, but short walks to sit on a park bench are not allowed.

"A very short period of 'exercise' to excuse a long period of inactivity may mean that the person is not engaged in 'exercise' but in fact something else," the guidance says.
Now I think the vast majority of right minded people support the measures and abide by them. But this is starting to become a little silly. People know they are meant to be staying at home. People know that they should be exercising round their house and nearby area. Starting to write down convoluted rules seems pointless. "Oh sorry officer I'm just bobbing up to the pennines - its about a two hour drive. I'm going to do 3 hours of sit ups when there then coming back so its ok". FFS. Just apply common sense. If people congregate stop them. If someone is eating a sandwich on a park bench in isolation and not selfishly stopping others doing the same then just let it go. We don''t need prescriptive rules that start to become ludicrous especially as we know a few will see anything directive as an invitation to find the "loophole".

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests