General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
jimbo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2724
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:34 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by jimbo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 pm
No Virologist, me, but I'm far from convinced that we've reached stage three. Also, I remain fecking appalled by the laissez faire attitude being exhibited by so many in relation to social distancing.

By way of 'new normal', by the way, I've just had my first ever GP appointment to be held over Skype. :)
How did you find it Bruce? We’ve had to rapidly modernise what we’re doing. Video consults, email consultations, and phone consultations the norm with patients also able to text or email photos in. We can also text patients directly with pdf links to also all sorts of extra information to help them manage their conditions. Lots of this will stay forever as it’s more convenient and more efficient for everyone.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2893
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:28 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 pm
No Virologist, me, but I'm far from convinced that we've reached stage three. Also, I remain fecking appalled by the laissez faire attitude being exhibited by so many in relation to social distancing.

By way of 'new normal', by the way, I've just had my first ever GP appointment to be held over Skype. :)
How did you find it Bruce? We’ve had to rapidly modernise what we’re doing. Video consults, email consultations, and phone consultations the norm with patients also able to text or email photos in. We can also text patients directly with pdf links to also all sorts of extra information to help them manage their conditions. Lots of this will stay forever as it’s more convenient and more efficient for everyone.
I had an email/phone consultation last week. Sent a message with an uploaded pic of an insect bite. Within 45 mins I had a phone call from a doc to say it looked infected and there was a prescription waiting at the chemist. Top notch service. That is most definitely the future for me. Won’t work for everyone and all conditions, but should help reduce waiting times and the hassle of trying to get through the receptionist at 8am for an appointment! A huge plus coming out of a truly awful situation.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23842
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:42 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm
jimbo wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:28 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 pm
No Virologist, me, but I'm far from convinced that we've reached stage three. Also, I remain fecking appalled by the laissez faire attitude being exhibited by so many in relation to social distancing.

By way of 'new normal', by the way, I've just had my first ever GP appointment to be held over Skype. :)
How did you find it Bruce? We’ve had to rapidly modernise what we’re doing. Video consults, email consultations, and phone consultations the norm with patients also able to text or email photos in. We can also text patients directly with pdf links to also all sorts of extra information to help them manage their conditions. Lots of this will stay forever as it’s more convenient and more efficient for everyone.
I had an email/phone consultation last week. Sent a message with an uploaded pic of an insect bite. Within 45 mins I had a phone call from a doc to say it looked infected and there was a prescription waiting at the chemist. Top notch service. That is most definitely the future for me. Won’t work for everyone and all conditions, but should help reduce waiting times and the hassle of trying to get through the receptionist at 8am for an appointment! A huge plus coming out of a truly awful situation.
I did first one of these a couple of years back. Went really well, didn't even leave the office...

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12733
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 pm
No Virologist, me, but I'm far from convinced that we've reached stage three. Also, I remain fecking appalled by the laissez faire attitude being exhibited by so many in relation to social distancing.

By way of 'new normal', by the way, I've just had my first ever GP appointment to be held over Skype. :)
Good approach, Bruce. Skype prevents the doc putting his finger where the sun don't shine.

Stage three. Not sure what that is. We are still in stage one and awaiting the second wave. Our great neighbours to the South have decided to open up stupidly in many states and are enhancing stage one. From criticism, I except the governor of New York. In charge of the worst hit area initially, he has handled the situation brilliantly.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:40 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm
I had an email/phone consultation last week. Sent a message with an uploaded pic of an insect bite.

Mrs Enoch walked in as I was taking a picture of me farmers.

I've had no luck convincing her it wasn't destined for Grindr.


I'm with you on Cuomo, Monty. He may be self serving but for me he's pulled no punches on this.

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12733
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:10 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:40 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm
I had an email/phone consultation last week. Sent a message with an uploaded pic of an insect bite.

Mrs Enoch walked in as I was taking a picture of me farmers.

I've had no luck convincing her it wasn't destined for Grindr.


I'm with you on Cuomo, Monty. He may be self serving but for me he's pulled no punches on this.
I watched his briefing every day at lunch (the last was yesterday). Then in the evening, until he got mad and quit, I watch POTUS. The contrast was astonishing. I don't think Cuomo has any ambition to be president, though many wish he did, After a week or two of admittedly poor choices based on faulty information, Cuomo developed a strategy to beat the virus which worked. He was up-front with the people and they followed the advice of staying home, social distancing and wearing masks until gradual re-opening time. He even got the subway cars disinfected - I doubt they had ever been cleaned more than superficially. Some other governors (Connecticut. Mass. Penn. etc) followed his lead with success. Today POTUS continues his plan to infect Oklahoma and surrounding states. Madness.

I am unfamiliar with the term farmers or its derivation. I can however make a guess as to meaning.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:10 pm
I am unfamiliar with the term farmers or its derivation. I can however make a guess as to meaning.

No problem with the term Grindr then, Monty?
;)

Farmers, from the Cockernee rhyming slang, 'Farmer Giles', which as it happens I've never really suffered from.
:)

As for any ambition Cuomo may be harbouring, or indeed whether he's got real depth, I've no idea but I have enjoyed his straight talking and his general presentation has really impressed me.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36135
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:35 am

jimbo wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:28 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 pm
No Virologist, me, but I'm far from convinced that we've reached stage three. Also, I remain fecking appalled by the laissez faire attitude being exhibited by so many in relation to social distancing.

By way of 'new normal', by the way, I've just had my first ever GP appointment to be held over Skype. :)
How did you find it Bruce? We’ve had to rapidly modernise what we’re doing. Video consults, email consultations, and phone consultations the norm with patients also able to text or email photos in. We can also text patients directly with pdf links to also all sorts of extra information to help them manage their conditions. Lots of this will stay forever as it’s more convenient and more efficient for everyone.
Superb thanks, Jimbo - it has to be the way to go. I do actually have to go in this morning, but the way that we've managed to establish that by way of said Skype call represents optimum efficiency and a much welcomed lack of fannying about / to-ing and fro-ing all round.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:37 am

There is so much that can be done by way of video consultation - obviously plenty of routine GP stuff. Also so many routine follow ups in hospital outpatients. I attend a clinic twice a year where there is no need for me to actually be there - the only physical interaction is a check to see my weight hasn't suddenly dropped - something I could supply them with remotely. And then the rest of the interaction is merely a discussion about symptoms - and that could be done online. I attended a number of appointments for a back injury - after initial exam and then MRI I had two further follow ups- neither of which required any examination - and were never likely to. I get that some things may need some physical exam and its hard to always triage it but there are systems like pre-appt surveys that could triage who needs a physical appointment and where a virtual one may suffice. Think of the savings both time and people - fewer people in hospitals means you can use less reception and support staff for example.

I can see loads of possibilities for it and I mean even things like monitoring skin conditions probably can be done by video in a number of cases. I'm thinking back over my last few years and I think apart from needing an initial exam and then MRI I've been to 6 or 7 other appointments at a hospital site that actually had no physical exam or need for me to actually be there at all - the conditions need monitoring - but a 5 minute video chat would have done.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36135
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Just back from the Doc's and on the back of our prior video meeting everything ran like clockwork. In for bloods with the Nurse at 10:45, then into the Doc for the pre-arranged examination - done and dusted for 11:00.

The one thing that really annoyed me whilst there though was this - in the waiting area the health centre displays how many times people haven't turned up for appointments in the past week. Last week the number was 45. So, at a time when the NHS is under pressure like never before, 45 people have bothered to make an appointment yet couldn't be arsed either turning up for nor cancelling it?! I'd stick their fecking names and addresses on the board too. Also, given how many appointments must be made and ignored nationally, then this surely supports any case for initial video consultation to maybe become compulsory?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26531
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:19 pm
Just back from the Doc's and on the back of our prior video meeting everything ran like clockwork. In for bloods with the Nurse at 10:45, then into the Doc for the pre-arranged examination - done and dusted for 11:00.

The one thing that really annoyed me whilst there though was this - in the waiting area the health centre displays how many times people haven't turned up for appointments in the past week. Last week the number was 45. So, at a time when the NHS is under pressure like never before, 45 people have bothered to make an appointment yet couldn't be arsed either turning up for nor cancelling it?! I'd stick their fecking names and addresses on the board too. Also, given how many appointments must be made and ignored nationally, then this surely supports any case for initial video consultation to maybe become compulsory?
The trouble with missed appointments data is lack of context - how many ended up in other healthcare settings such as A&E in the interim or worse still passed away?

45 definitely sounds a lot but I suspect in grand scheme of things it is not really. Some of those may have been longer standing routine checks that people forgot about - especially with everything else going on.

It is a problem people missing appts - don't get me wrong. And you're right that a video or phone triage system would do a heck of a lot - but I suspect it isn't as big of a problem generally as is often portrayed.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36135
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:57 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:19 pm
Just back from the Doc's and on the back of our prior video meeting everything ran like clockwork. In for bloods with the Nurse at 10:45, then into the Doc for the pre-arranged examination - done and dusted for 11:00.

The one thing that really annoyed me whilst there though was this - in the waiting area the health centre displays how many times people haven't turned up for appointments in the past week. Last week the number was 45. So, at a time when the NHS is under pressure like never before, 45 people have bothered to make an appointment yet couldn't be arsed either turning up for nor cancelling it?! I'd stick their fecking names and addresses on the board too. Also, given how many appointments must be made and ignored nationally, then this surely supports any case for initial video consultation to maybe become compulsory?
The trouble with missed appointments data is lack of context - how many ended up in other healthcare settings such as A&E in the interim or worse still passed away?

45 definitely sounds a lot but I suspect in grand scheme of things it is not really. Some of those may have been longer standing routine checks that people forgot about - especially with everything else going on.

It is a problem people missing appts - don't get me wrong. And you're right that a video or phone triage system would do a heck of a lot - but I suspect it isn't as big of a problem generally as is often portrayed.
Hmmmmm, some truth in what you're saying, no doubt, however, the HC said it amounted to three full GP sessions wasted.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:13 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm
this surely supports any case for initial video consultation to maybe become compulsory?

Hmmmmm, that's my Mum & Dad f*cked then,

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12881
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:55 am

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/ ... vulnerable

Quite simply, this is wrong, cash, for good or bad, stops these nobody retailers collecting your information and using it sometimes rather dubiously.

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8548
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:05 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:55 am
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/ ... vulnerable

Quite simply, this is wrong, cash, for good or bad, stops these nobody retailers collecting your information and using it sometimes rather dubiously.
It's ludicrous. That same checkout person has just touched every item on the conveyor belt that has been touched by the lady in question, and no doubt every Tom, Dick & Harry that has been in the store that day. Quite simply it is an excuse to not to have to bank cash and all the costs associated with it. Suits the banks very much too. For big supermarkets that are in a position to negotiate much smaller fees its great. It is costing me hundreds extra a month because everyone is using contactless/cards.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7398
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:12 pm

I went into a chippy in Horwich last week that had a sign 'cash payment only'. Tesco were still giving the option of both methods last time I went.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36135
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:32 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:13 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm
this surely supports any case for initial video consultation to maybe become compulsory?

Hmmmmm, that's my Mum & Dad f*cked then,
As would mine be had I not shown them how to use Skype ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8548
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:38 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:32 pm
Enoch wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:13 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm
this surely supports any case for initial video consultation to maybe become compulsory?

Hmmmmm, that's my Mum & Dad f*cked then,
As would mine be had I not shown them how to use Skype ;)
I made the mistake of buying mine a tablet. She was constantly skyping from a laptop to "show me" what wasn't working on the tablet. Let's put it this way, either the camera was a millimetre from what she was showing me, pointing at the ceiling or the lamp on the side table. I reckon it would be quicker for Doc to do a home visit than an online consult :lol:

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:38 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:32 pm
Enoch wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:13 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm
this surely supports any case for initial video consultation to maybe become compulsory?

Hmmmmm, that's my Mum & Dad f*cked then,
As would mine be had I not shown them how to use Skype ;)
I made the mistake of buying mine a tablet. She was constantly skyping from a laptop to "show me" what wasn't working on the tablet. Let's put it this way, either the camera was a millimetre from what she was showing me, pointing at the ceiling or the lamp on the side table. I reckon it would be quicker for Doc to do a home visit than an online consult :lol:

Pop down if you fancy a challenge, Bruce.

These days my two don't even wipe their own arses.

:D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23842
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Brewdog's Elvis Juice, grapefruit IPA. Food of the Gods.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests