General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:19 pm

'Who are this week's Bolton Wanderers opponents? .

I thought of posting the match thread as a riddle (then decided better not) . It would only appeal to literature lovers anyway. The answer is Exeter as is already known, but the riddle would have been:

" Better get rid of John before the turkey slicer from the west country valley arrives. He needs to give his ex more money to get her bank account into the black more. "

Just for fun, If you could have got there without Wickepedia you would have won an ibnternet bottle of bubbly and the title genius . If not, a pint of choice, but you have to explain how. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:52 pm

You are Ted Rogers and I claim my £5
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:24 am

Jesus H Christ!

I've just been reading about something I've never heard of before, MAiD in Canada and the reasons and it's not only terminal illness why folk are turning to it. It's fcuking scary.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:30 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:24 am
Jesus H Christ!

I've just been reading about something I've never heard of before, MAiD in Canada and the reasons and it's not only terminal illness why folk are turning to it. It's fcuking scary.
After googling MAiD on my work's computer and scrolling through various iterations (which would definitely be described as NSFW), I read an article about Medical Assistance in Dying.

Rather than finding it scary I actually find it quite reassuring. For me personally (and I stress this is for me and not anyone else's circumstances) I would welcome the option of being euthanised in a safe, comfortable medical environment; having had the opportunity to say goodbye to loved ones and setting my affairs in order. A terminal illness with prolonged, painful and distressing (for me and my family) treatment is not how I want to go.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:30 am
Hoboh wrote:
Jesus H Christ!

After googling MAiD on my work's computer and scrolling through various iterations (which would definitely be described as NSFW), I read an article about Medical Assistance in Dying.

Rather than finding it scary I actually find it quite reassuring. For me personally (and I stress this is for me and not anyone else's circumstances) I would welcome the option of being euthanised in a safe, comfortable medical environment; having had the opportunity to say goodbye to loved ones and setting my affairs in order. A terminal illness with prolonged, painful and distressing (for me and my family) treatment is not how I want to go.
I agree with Gary. It makes a lot of sense. The important thing is to have a lot of safeguards to ensure informed consent. You can't have family requesting it. So the individual must make the request voluntarily and be able to prove they are mentally competent and have an irremedial medical condition.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:49 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:45 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Jesus H Christ!

I agree with Gary. It makes a lot of sense. The important thing is to have a lot of safeguards to ensure informed consent. You can't have family requesting it. So the individual must make the request voluntarily and be able to prove they are mentally competent and have an irremedial medical condition.
I agree to some extent I doubt many want to inflict their pain and suffering other loved ones, I saw the effect in 2014 on my wife when I was given a terminal diagnosis, luckily I was one of the few who survived, thank goodness.
The reason I was shocked was apparently the ease of taking this course of action and why people were actually doing it, no money skint etc. That's what shocked me.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:12 am

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:31 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:49 am
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Jesus H Christ!

I agree to some extent I doubt many want to inflict their pain and suffering other loved ones, I saw the effect in 2014 on my wife when I was given a terminal diagnosis, luckily I was one of the few who survived, thank goodness.
The reason I was shocked was apparently the ease of taking this course of action and why people were actually doing it, no money skint etc. That's what shocked me.
Well, it is not just a terminal diagnosis - there have to be other aspects such as great pain that makes life insupportable. Money doesn't really enter into it as we have medicare and publically finded hospice care. Congrats on beating the diagnosis, Hobes, (which strikes me as hasty given the evident possibility of recovery).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:47 am

Hear ye, hear ye..Let it be known that I haven't the slightest interest in what David Beckham's son is doing to make newspaper headlines. I don't really care much what his father or mother are up to, truth be known, or who Katy Price is marrying next in between breast implants, or a whole host of attention seeking wannabe's that class as daily "news". "The public have a right to know" is the clarion call of every media source , but most of the time, do the public as a whole really care? Personally...no.

I suppose it's very un-Christian of me butjust thought I'd mention it, You can ignore it if you like.. :mrgreen:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:25 am

I *think* Hobes's point here, is that it was, or is being looked at as an option for people with Depression, or other mental health issues
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:25 am
I *think* Hobes's point here, is that it was, or is being looked at as an option for people with Depression, or other mental health issues
Medical assistance in dying in Canada is not currently available to people with mental illness. Consideration to include tham has been postponed until St. Patrick's day next year. A Parliamentary Committee is still working on the possibility of including mental illness and establishing safeguards. Their interim report is available online.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:21 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:31 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:49 am
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Jesus H Christ!

Well, it is not just a terminal diagnosis - there have to be other aspects such as great pain that makes life insupportable. Money doesn't really enter into it as we have medicare and publically finded hospice care. Congrats on beating the diagnosis, Hobes, (which strikes me as hasty given the evident possibility of recovery).
I actually had a large bowl tumour and seven dotted around my liver, I was put on a drug developed originally for breast cancer but wasn't working that well so they tried it on other cancer as well as the standard chemo drugs. The tumors started to shrink enough for them to consider operations in both areas and I was lucky with a top team from the Christie a cracking surgeon at Bolton Royal and a professor in charge of research and training at Manchester University and the Manchester Royal ( the food is crap there btw). I really used up most of life's luck there I reckon, my stomach looks like I've been in a war zone with the scars.
Things is, they don't use that drug now I believe due to the expense, it worked out at 10 grand a month and was tailor made for me no one else could use it. I had to pass a stringent test before every course the day before then they made it the later in the day.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:53 pm

Wife's 79 and had a fall in the garden today. Luckily two neighbours were home as, on a zimmer, I'm not much use. She had chest pains so had to get the ambulance and luckily it came in 20 mins. Sent her home but wanted her back in and a chest X Ray discovered a heart attack. Hospital kept her in and she may need an aniogram. She's in over night and waiting results. Family being great as ever and I'm praying. Bit lonely right now but hoping for a night's sleep and a better tomorrow.

p.s Get better soon Hobes.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:53 pm
Wife's 79 and had a fall in the garden today. Luckily two neighbours were home as, on a zimmer, I'm not much use. She had chest pains so had to get the ambulance and luckily it came in 20 mins. Sent her home but wanted her back in and a chest X Ray discovered a heart attack. Hospital kept her in and she may need an aniogram. She's in over night and waiting results. Family being great as ever and I'm praying. Bit lonely right now but hoping for a night's sleep and a better tomorrow.

That's rough TD. Wishing Mrs Tango a speedy recovery.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:49 am

TANGODANCER wrote:

Hope she's home soon and on the mend Tango.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:37 am

TANGODANCER wrote:

Hope all goes well, Tango.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:24 am

TANGODANCER wrote:

Even in these testing times she's in the best possible hands, Tango. I hope you're managing to rest and wish Mrs T (and you) all the very best in her recovery.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:23 pm

Thanks all for the kind wishes. Son and daughters are nearby and doing errands and things, and we have very good neighbours. Wife still waiting for a bed which is hard, but as Bruce says, she's in the best place.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:54 pm

Thinking of you all and praying Tango x

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:05 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:54 pm
Thinking of you all and praying Tango x
Thank you. x.