General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:24 am

Yeah Vaping is scary because its being positioned as 'much better than normal smoking' so kids are getting into it. Its seen as a 'fun social thing' and obviously has far fewer social downsides than actual smoking - you don't smell, don't create smoke that makes other people smell etc....

But its still unclear how much the long term risk is lowered....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:37 am

They already do. And some. Estimate of NHS spend on smoking related illnesses are in the £2-3bn per annum range...If there's £11bn going in to the treasury in tobacco taxes, can we have some back? :-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:42 am

Nah - vaping is a massively good thing that should be hugely encouraged as a smoking alternative (though the bubble gum flavour oh no sir we're not marketing to kids is dodgy af).

Sure, we don't have long term health data so people's priors seem to be to assume it's as bad as smoking as a starting point. But you're not just guessing. We don't have long term health data on vegan burgers, smartphones, electric cars but we don't ban those just in case.

Smoking is catastrophically bad for you. Maybe one of the agents in vaping bumps of a cancer risk by even 2%. It would still be gigantically better for you then smoking. It's steam with nicotine, flavouring and some other bits and pieces all of which there's no reason to be worrying about.

If you don't smoke, sure the best health advice is don't start vaping, but the benefit to smokers for switching is huge.

Best current estimates are that vaping is 99% better for you then smoking (and my suspicion is that's of the Dettol kills 99.9% of germs - ie our lawyers won't let us say 100%). I'd be surprised if vaping wasn't less of a health risk than drinking or even just living in London.

Worst thing about it atm is the environmental impact of the 2m+ a week disposable ones.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:45 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:37 am
They already do. And some. Estimate of NHS spend on smoking related illnesses are in the £2-3bn per annum range...If there's £11bn going in to the treasury in tobacco taxes, can we have some back? :-)
I'd probably not be relying on the Tobacco manufacturers industry for my figures mind. Famously honest brokers, those lads :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:51 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:45 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:37 am
I'd probably not be relying on the Tobacco manufacturers industry for my figures mind. Famously honest brokers, those lads :D
Indeed, which is why that number came from ASH - not notably understated... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:42 am
Nah - vaping is a massively good thing that should be hugely encouraged as a smoking alternative (though the bubble gum flavour oh no sir we're not marketing to kids is dodgy af).

Sure, we don't have long term health data so people's priors seem to be to assume it's as bad as smoking as a starting point. But you're not just guessing. We don't have long term health data on vegan burgers, smartphones, electric cars but we don't ban those just in case.

Smoking is catastrophically bad for you. Maybe one of the agents in vaping bumps of a cancer risk by even 2%. It would still be gigantically better for you then smoking. It's steam with nicotine, flavouring and some other bits and pieces all of which there's no reason to be worrying about.

If you don't smoke, sure the best health advice is don't start vaping, but the benefit to smokers for switching is huge.

Best current estimates are that vaping is 99% better for you then smoking (and my suspicion is that's of the Dettol kills 99.9% of germs - ie our lawyers won't let us say 100%). I'd be surprised if vaping wasn't less of a health risk than drinking or even just living in London.

Worst thing about it atm is the environmental impact of the 2m+ a week disposable ones.
The point being that yes we should be marketing it to those who smoke to switch over. BUT I think the consequence of that is more and more kids and young people doing it. And we don't know the long term effects of it - and you are telling people not to guess but then having a massive guess yourself.

Nicotine is not good. And whilst it may MAY be less risky than drinking the fact is a) we don't know that and b) potentially people will vape a LOT more than they drink, especially the younger generations who are drinking less anyway.

I'd add that recently there is some growing research evidence suggesting that the risks presented to young people who vape are not minimal. Its too early to be definitive but the evidence is pointing to 'absolutely worthwhile as a smoking cessation tool' 'not a good thing to start if you don't smoke'.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:30 pm

It's me....it must be...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65071989

As Bruce Rioja would say.."only in America...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:44 pm

Well I enjoy a fag now and then, outside.
Vapers are like low cloud incoming fog, won't be long before one of them drowns with water filled lungs.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:12 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:44 pm
Well I enjoy a fag now and then, outside.
Vapers are like low cloud incoming fog, won't be long before one of them drowns with water filled lungs.
My wife, son and one daughter all happily vape away. Daughter in law smokes and goes outside. None of it bothers me so que-sera.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:22 pm

Wothy of a mention: Len Tobutt's Sport's accesories shop celebrated a hundred years in business this week. Got my first pair of boots , laces and a tin of Dubbin there when the shop was on Higher Bridge Street a thousand years ago...Well done Tobutts. :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:05 am

Great news; Tom Cruise has been invited to attend Charles's coronation. Nearly choked on my corn-flakes in the excitement.. :shock:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:05 am
Great news; Tom Cruise has been invited to attend Charles's coronation. Nearly choked on my corn-flakes in the excitement.. :shock:
All I can say to this TD, is the largest point worth discussing, is probably whether cornflakes should have a hyphen. The rest doesn't merit Internet bandwidth. :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:58 am

And on a similar note. Part of next week's ceremony will ask the public to swear allegiance to the new German sat on our throne...Really? Not that it's going to get any TV time off me...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:58 am
And on a similar note. Part of next week's ceremony will ask the public to swear allegiance to the new German sat on our throne...Really? Not that it's going to get any TV time off me...
Do you think Tom Cruise will be leading the Red Arrows? :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:38 pm

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:38 pm

:lol:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:38 pm
Funny man is Rich. Saw him once at the Lowry, and loved his redneck country singer alter ego Otis Lee Crenshaw.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:22 pm

Yeah, talented bloke. Like his humour.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat May 06, 2023 9:53 am

A random question based on energy: Are Smart meters beneficial or no? I'm being pressed by EON to change to such. Good or otherwise? Any views?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 06, 2023 11:27 am

Long story. How much time do we have? :-)

The short answer is over time (years) they should help as we move to market wide half hourly settlement. This won't come to fruition until at least 2026.

In the here and now, unless you want to watch the screen to see how much it's costing you on gas and leccy by the minute/hour/day/week (which some folks do through need) then it's useful for that.

Probably much larger direct benefit (having recently done this) was having our old boiler replaced. It's been in about 5 months and has pretty much paid for itself...