General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:06 am

And sometimes we wonder why folk don't understand what we sometimes say;

I've not seen the bin men today unless they've already bin (been) :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:24 pm

Has the bin man bin mam? :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:54 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:17 pm
I stumbled across the video on X last night, without realising what it was. 😬 The ‘aggressor’ appeared to spin and thrust his rising skate at a seemingly ridiculous height towards his opponent. That’s where the video stopped, fortunately.

Not sure why people are still posting it tbh, when we know the outcome. Actually, I do. Some people are downright cnuts!
I do know something about ice hockey. I was a certified coach for many years for minor hockey (6-18 year olds). It is a dangerous game so players need good safety equipment. These are mandated in the minor leagues, but senior players are slower to react to the need. Minors must wear helmets, but for years the pros did not (now they must). Minors must wear full faceguards but they are not required for pros (some wear a half plexiglass eye shield). This is why pros seldom have their front teeth. Minors must wear mouthguards, optional for pros. Some thirty years ago a hockey player had his throat cut by a skate (accidently) and he survived because of rapid medical help. At that point minor hockey insisted players must wear cut-proof neck guards, but it is not required for the pros and most still don't wear them. Players do not like safety equipment. They add weight, slow you down, limit your vision a bit, so only use them if required by the league or if they personally think it is a good idea.The injured UK player obviously did not wear a neck guard.

I have not seen the incident. Hockey can be a dangerous and injuries are part of the game. Nonetheless if a player deliberately tries to injure another he will suffer suspension from the league. He might be arrested by the police and charged with grievous bodily harm (or manslaughter/murder if death ensues). He might be sued in a civil suit and have damages awarded against him. Or all three. All these things have happened (except causing death which I have not seen). From the description above it does sound like it was deliberate attack and, if so, a manslaughter charge does not seem unreasonable along with a lifetime suspension.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:06 am

Ooops! I've watched the video now. Though it wasn't very clear, it seems to me that it was not deliberate. I don't think the 'agressor' even saw Johnson. He was being checked by another player who spun him a little off balance. His leg went backwards and up because of the check. Johson was standing behind him in just the wrong spot. I would say it was a freak accident which could have been avoided through mandating the use of neckguards.A great tragedy but an accident in my book. If the police arrested him it is because they don't know the game. However, as noted, the video quality was poor and only one angle.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:07 am

Who exactly on the local council approves these things?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/23 ... -aquarium/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:02 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:07 am
Who exactly on the local council approves these things?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/23 ... -aquarium/
Well Tango I've got to say,

If you allow male to be recognised as female and vice versa, kids to be cats, surely swingers have rights?
These things went on far before transgender. Was ever heard of.

Anyway where was it again.... :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:07 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:54 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
I stumbled across the video on X last night, without realising what it was. 😬 The ‘aggressor’ appeared to spin and thrust his rising skate at a seemingly ridiculous height towards his opponent. That’s where the video stopped, fortunately.

Not sure why people are still posting it tbh, when we know the outcome. Actually, I do. Some people are downright cnuts!
I do know something about ice hockey. I was a certified coach for many years for minor hockey (6-18 year olds). It is a dangerous game so players need good safety equipment. These are mandated in the minor leagues, but senior players are slower to react to the need. Minors must wear helmets, but for years the pros did not (now they must). Minors must wear full faceguards but they are not required for pros (some wear a half plexiglass eye shield). This is why pros seldom have their front teeth. Minors must wear mouthguards, optional for pros. Some thirty years ago a hockey player had his throat cut by a skate (accidently) and he survived because of rapid medical help. At that point minor hockey insisted players must wear cut-proof neck guards, but it is not required for the pros and most still don't wear them. Players do not likte safety equipment. They add weight, slow you down, limit your vision a bit, so only use them if required by the league or if they personally think it is a good idea.The injured UK player obviously did not wear a neck guard.

I have not seen the incident. Hockey can be a dangerous and injuries are part of the game. Nonetheless if a player deliberately tries to injure another he will suffer suspension from the league. He might be arrested by the police and charged with grievous bodily harm (or manslaughter/murder if death ensues). He might be sued in a civil suit and have damages awarded against him. Or all three. All these things have happened (except causing death which I have not seen). From the description above it does sound like it was deliberate attack and, if so, a manslaughter charge does not seem unreasonable along with a lifetime suspension.
Wow Monty, you really have some good stuff stored in the old grey matter, a chat over a decent malt would be quite interesting I'd bet.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:03 am

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:07 am
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:54 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:

I do know something about ice hockey. I was a certified coach for many years for minor hockey (6-18 year olds). It is a dangerous game so players need good safety equipment. These are mandated in the minor leagues, but senior players are slower to react to the need. Minors must wear helmets, but for years the pros did not (now they must). Minors must wear full faceguards but they are not required for pros (some wear a half plexiglass eye shield). This is why pros seldom have their front teeth. Minors must wear mouthguards, optional for pros. Some thirty years ago a hockey player had his throat cut by a skate (accidently) and he survived because of rapid medical help. At that point minor hockey insisted players must wear cut-proof neck guards, but it is not required for the pros and most still don't wear them. Players do not likte safety equipment. They add weight, slow you down, limit your vision a bit, so only use them if required by the league or if they personally think it is a good idea.The injured UK player obviously did not wear a neck guard.

Wow Monty, you really have some good stuff stored in the old grey matter, a chat over a decent malt would be quite interesting I'd bet.
You might find talking to Canadians about ice hockey somewhat boring after a while, hohes - it is the one thing we are probably the best in the world at.

I was watching a live game on tv some 15 years ago when one of my team (Montreal Canadiens), Richard Zednik, had his throat cut by a skate. The blade cut his carotid artery but just missed the jugular. Like Johnson he got to his feet and skated to the bench, where the medical crew took over. Zednik survived. There was no question about the fact it was an accident, since he was cut by a teammate's skate.

Pressure is now mounting on the National Hockey League to make neck guards mandatory. Other leagues, including the UK, have already taken the step. Johnson's tragic death has done some good, and will hopefully tip the scales in the NHL. Although it is sad a tragedy has to occur before action in taken. The dangers were always known and solution available for over 30 years with cut-proof cloth. Similarly with other safety equipment. At the pro level, goalies only started wearing masks in the 1950s and now they are compulsory at all levels. Helmets were not mandatory until the 1970s. Time for neck guards to be required.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:52 am

WOW! Massive shout out to HM Passport office.

Applied on line last Tuesday, sent the old ones back first class recorded delivery same day, received our new ones today. Kept upto date with email and text, brilliant.
At least somethings work :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:48 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:52 am

Applied on line last Tuesday, sent the old ones back first class recorded delivery same day, received our new ones today. Kept upto date with email and text, brilliant.
Amazing!

Over here you can apply online but I chose to go to the passport office. You can get it within 24 hours (large fee), within 48 hours (significant fee) or by mail within two weeks (free). Not in a hurry i took option 3 and it came within a week. I guess they fixed something because a year ago it took months.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:30 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:48 pm
Hoboh wrote:

Amazing!

Over here you can apply online but I chose to go to the passport office. You can get it within 24 hours (large fee), within 48 hours (significant fee) or by mail within two weeks (free). Not in a hurry i took option 3 and it came within a week. I guess they fixed something because a year ago it took months.
Free postage/handling charge Monty or a free passport (which would be hugely impressive)?

I recall Bruce Rioja's upset with the then Labour Government when passport fees were increased several times during their time in office.

Nice new blue/black one Hobes? That vote wasn't wasted after all! :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:54 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:30 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Amazing!

Free postage/handling charge Monty or a free passport (which would be hugely impressive)?

I recall Bruce Rioja's upset with the then Labour Government when passport fees were increased several times during their time in office.

Black Harry, maybe I should say, it's a passport of colour?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:42 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:54 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Amazing!

Black Harry, maybe I should say, it's a passport of colour?
They're all blue, allegedly. As in Red, White and...It does look very dark blue, but it is blue nonetheless, PANTONE 5395C, apparently. To be fair to Hobes, I'd have described it as black, too! :-)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:43 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Amazing!

Sorry, that lacked clarity.
Yes, free shipping and handling only. A ten-year passport costs Can $160, which is about 90 quid. Roughly the same as yours, I think. My UK Euro passport cost me a lot more to renew through the US embassy in Washington, D.C. However, I let it lapse when it expired a couple of years ago since Brexit destroyed its utility.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:16 am

Well! With the naming of the names it looks like Scoobie doo, Whinge & Cringe are going to go down like the Titanic.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:03 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:16 am
Well! With the naming of the names it looks like Scoobie doo, Whinge & Cringe are going to go down like the Titanic.
We should hold the Royal family up as testament to our multiculturalism, coming across here as immigrant families from minor houses in Germany and we hold them dear to our hearts. They are all that's good about Britain. I mean we didn't invite them, they crossed over in boats, they're short on the tax paying front, we give them a very big house - anything I've missed? :D

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:03 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:16 am
We should hold the Royal family up as testament to our multiculturalism, coming across here as immigrant families from minor houses in Germany and we hold them dear to our hearts. They are all that's good about Britain. I mean we didn't invite them, they crossed over in boats, they're short on the tax paying front, we give them a very big house - anything I've missed? :D
Aye, they keep likes of us from having a President Bliar, President Johnson, President Sunak, president Stammer etc.
For that we should be eternally grateful.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:13 pm

Gosh. My snowflake has melted. 4 people listed and you only managed to misspell and name call the Labour ones, despite pretending to us you think they're all shocking.

Did I say abolish the monarchy? I just pointed our they're descended from pretty much everything people seem to be up in arms about. Funny innit?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:13 pm
Gosh. My snowflake has melted. 4 people listed and you only managed to misspell and name call the Labour ones, despite pretending to us you think they're all shocking.

Did I say abolish the monarchy? I just pointed our they're descended from pretty much everything people seem to be up in arms about. Funny innit?
OK, babbling buffoon and Slippery Sunake do then?
I suppose I should chuck in that bloke from the Limp dems, but I cannot recall his name, is it head butt or something?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:49 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:04 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:13 pm

OK, babbling buffoon and Slippery Sunake do then?
I suppose I should chuck in that bloke from the Limp dems, but I cannot recall his name, is it head butt or something?
Much better! :-)