General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:55 pm

Who was complaining? I was laughing and curious as to how they managed to parallel park on a driving test!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:03 pm

The biggest problem is the parking spaces are way too small these days, park spot on between the lines and you are hardly likely to get out of your car door or at worst some person scratches or dents your car getting into theirs.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:32 pm

Agree mate. The point in case, they had 6 they coulda picked from. It must be a huge problem for you to get your bike in a space that small! 😀

Hope you're keeping well, mate.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:36 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:03 pm
The biggest problem is the parking spaces are way too small these days, park spot on between the lines and you are hardly likely to get out of your car door or at worst some person scratches or dents your car getting into theirs.
The biggest problem is the large number of folk that can't get any part of the car within the lines.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:46 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:36 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:03 pm
The biggest problem is the large number of folk that can't get any part of the car within the lines.
Oh often they manage that. Just not straight!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:59 am

Cars tend to average around 6ft in width now parking spaces 7ft.10inch. Park spot on in the middle of the box you have less than 2ft to exit your car which includes next bays surplus.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:21 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:59 am
Cars tend to average around 6ft in width now parking spaces 7ft.10inch. Park spot on in the middle of the box you have less than 2ft to exit your car which includes next bays surplus.
Less than 2 feet, with a 3 foot door! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:30 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:59 am
True. But if spaces were made larger then there would never be anywhere to park in the first place!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:37 pm

Obvious: The government and Automobile trade are just getting you ready to tell you you need a remote control to park. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:37 pm
Obvious: The government and Automobile trade are just getting you ready to tell you you need a remote control to park. :wink:
Quite a lot of cars already have that "feature" TD. It doesn't make the doors any smaller! :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:43 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Quite a lot of cars already have that "feature" TD. It doesn't make the doors any smaller! :D
Yeah, I know. I once saw a neighbour bring a 30ft caravan down his drive and onto the road whilst sitting on his garden wall. The wonders of technology hey.. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:56 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Yeah, I know. I once saw a neighbour bring a 30ft caravan down his drive and onto the road whilst sitting on his garden wall. The wonders of technology hey.. :D
It's quite impressive to see it in action on the old parallel parking thing. Not sure it works with a caravan on the back! :mrgreen:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
There are cars that will back in and out of a space using the keyfob rendering the space needed for opening a door moot….

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:59 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
There are cars that will back in and out of a space using the keyfob rendering the space needed for opening a door moot….
Brilliant until they decide they are staying put :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:59 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Good call for those cars, aye.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:04 am

The very unfortunate and sad death of that poor ice hockey player - absolute tragedy. Fortunately we rarely see such cases in sport - but there's been a few at sports I've played and we had our own unfortunate drama with Fabrice Muamba, where of course no-one else was involved quite clearly. They've now arrested someone on a manslaughter charge for something that on the face of it, is part of the risk of playing contact sports/sports with hard balls being hurled at your head, etc. I do wonder what ramifications this might have, where typically the player has some notion that what they're doing carries risk in the first place (I mean obvs if the arrested person was using illegally thin blades or they've deliberately targeted the neck, than that's going to be a bit different).

Like many of us, I played a bit of sport as a younger chap. Cricket, being one-such. Part of the game is that you might get a projectile heading towards your head at a rate of knots (in the days before helmets) and occasionally you'd end up wearing one, and on a bad day maybe quite a few, with some grumpy bloke at the other end muttering something akin to "that's why you've paid for a bat, to stop it hitting your yed"...

Depending on how this charge plays out, it feels like we're constantly having to change the rules, to avoid litigation's on something where many of the things that could "harm the individual" are known to the individual when they go into the sport. When I hear of, for example, the cases of dementia in football (and rugby) due to head knocks, I doubt the full extent was known by anyone back in the 1960's - or even when most of us were heading waterlogged casey's, but everyone picking up a bat today, knows they might get a ball at the noggin.

If we extended the litigation approach to everything, we end up with me wanting to sue the descendant's of the tribal chief from the stone-age, because my great, great, great etc. grandparent got skewered by a mammoth and didn't get a H&S briefing prior to the hunt.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:14 am

So I haven't seen the video of it (and I'm not going looking for it!) but I'd assumed the same, that maybe he was on the floor and it was an accident, but people at the pub last night were saying they'd seen it, and that they're both standing and he's basically high kicked him on purpose, so I think it probably turns on that, and that seems fair enough to me.

Legally speaking in sport you have a defence to criminal charges on the basis of consent as long as what you do is reasonably within broadly the bounds of that sport.

That's a different point to suing a governing body for negligence. To take the football case, you're not going to win on the basis that heading a heavy ball causes long term brain injury. You probably would win if you could show that e.g. the FA knew that and didn't do anything.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:54 am

Thanks for clarification, mate, like you, I wasn't going hunting the video out.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:17 pm

I stumbled across the video on X last night, without realising what it was. 😬 The ‘aggressor’ appeared to spin and thrust his rising skate at a seemingly ridiculous height towards his opponent. That’s where the video stopped, fortunately.

Not sure why people are still posting it tbh, when we know the outcome. Actually, I do. Some people are downright cnuts!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:11 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:17 pm
I stumbled across the video on X last night, without realising what it was. 😬 The ‘aggressor’ appeared to spin and thrust his rising skate at a seemingly ridiculous height towards his opponent. That’s where the video stopped, fortunately.

Not sure why people are still posting it tbh, when we know the outcome. Actually, I do. Some people are downright cnuts!
My sentiments.

Surely and maybe our resident legal Eagle might clarify this, now there is a possibility of legal action being taken the posters, if in this country, could face actions?