Technology Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Technology Thread.

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 19, 2015 5:30 pm

I don't know, one person's gaffer is buying a 3D printer, whilst my gaffer is on about throwing our standard printer out the window, as he sees no reason why we need any paper in the office..

He's probably got a point in fairness
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 19, 2015 5:32 pm

boltonboris wrote:I don't know, one person's gaffer is buying a 3D printer, whilst my gaffer is on about throwing our standard printer out the window, as he sees no reason why we need any paper in the office..

Old client of mine went paperless. 6 years and 90 million sheets of paper later...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I don't know, one person's gaffer is buying a 3D printer, whilst my gaffer is on about throwing our standard printer out the window, as he sees no reason why we need any paper in the office..

Old client of mine went paperless. 6 years and 90 million sheets of paper later...
Ha! Best thing is, he said to me, "when you're going in a meeting, there's nothing worse than taking in a pen and paper when we're trying to be more cutting edge.. Take an iPad or something in with you - It'll set you apart"

Me: "cool, should I order us all one each?"

Him: "Erm.. Er.. Do you not already have your own?"

Feck off

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 19, 2015 5:42 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Ha! Best thing is, he said to me, "when you're going in a meeting, there's nothing worse than taking in a pen and paper when we're trying to be more cutting edge.. Take an iPad or something in with you - It'll set you apart"

Feck off
I used to work in the print/document management industry. I've never seen one office manage to go paperless despite most trying.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Feck off
I used to work in the print/document management industry. I've never seen one office manage to go paperless despite most trying.
We're completely file-less in fairness, but paperless?? Tough one to crack I reckon

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:01 pm

My home PC has Windows 7 that I purchased around 18 months ago. I like Windows 7 as it has the feel of XP and is also on my works laptop.

I have just had the Microsoft offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10. Is this a no brainer? Reviews are positive for W10 unlike Windows 8. Do I accept this limited time offer?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:44 pm

malcd1 wrote:My home PC has Windows 7 that I purchased around 18 months ago. I like Windows 7 as it has the feel of XP and is also on my works laptop.

I have just had the Microsoft offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10. Is this a no brainer? Reviews are positive for W10 unlike Windows 8. Do I accept this limited time offer?
I'm not sure Windows 10 is mature enough, that is has been debugged enough to upgrade to it at this juncture. Indeed I thought it was only being released this summer in non-Beta version. Anyway, you like windows 7 so is there any need? Perhaps you should check this cautionary piece.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:19 am

G'day, malc,
No, it's not a no-brainer - at least as things stand. Windows ten is essentially a new you beaut operating system. Whilst Microsoft has done extensive testing through the use of volunteers and then the beta releases there is bound to be the odd problem or thousand. I have not as yet received my offer of an upgrade and have not as yet spoken to my son, who has. If the link provided by Monty is correct then you have a whole year to obtain the free version. If I do receive it then I'll be sitting back and reading reviews written by competent critics before I dive in. Once upon a time I would be at the forefront of the charge as I had a business which included a significant proportion of computer sales and servicing. Not now; I've learnt my lesson.

My advice, Malc, is to leave it be for a while and keep up with the critiques. Perhaps by the end of this year most problems will have been sorted and that's what I will be doing.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:40 am

When it releases you can down load it but not install it. It'll be free for a while most likely. I'll stick it on one of the old pcs we've got before committing. In the very long term it would be wise to upgrade as they are moving to rolling upgrades rather than big new editions.

The big things for me will be if the software I use is compatible and works on 10. Until then I wont be upgrading my main PCs.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:25 am

I'm still on Vista... I know I'll have to change one day - but I don't want to - I don't like change! Vista works perfectly well enough for me...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:27 am

thebish wrote:I'm still on Vista... I know I'll have to change one day - but I don't want to - I don't like change! Vista works perfectly well enough for me...
Stick with it for as long as you can, Bish. My new lappy at home has Windows 8. It's a fecking abomination!
May the bridges I burn light your way

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not desperate so I think I will wait a while and read the reviews like Dujon suggests.

Bish - I think the free upgrade is just for Windows 7 and 8. I don't think you will get the option, initially anyway.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:12 am

I'm sure I read somewhere, that you will be able to wind back to your previous version of windows if your not feeling Windows 10.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:27 am

This is an interesting technological development.

"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:48 am

Problem with that Monty is that the idiots will be so focused on the cars in front of the truck that they'll go into the back of the truck!

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:10 pm

^^ reminds me of this wierd computer desktop wallpaper trick

or that invisibility cloak the US army / BAe systems / The Magic Circle are after inventing.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:58 pm

ChrisC wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere, that you will be able to wind back to your previous version of windows if your not feeling Windows 10.
i doubt that, they only want to look after one version of windows at a time , so are taking approach that is similar to Gentoo Linux or them chrome os netbooks- get everybody on the 'newest release' and keep it current til the device breaks or gets retired.

took 'em ages to get everyone on NT based windows, this radical approach is to stop hold overs. windows 8.0 only has 8? months left, and i'd bet 8.1 doesnt update after say september 2016 (even though its supposed to last two years after that)

downgrading windows is the worst thing in the world, and most people dont really have install discs anymore.

and 'Letting' people go back i dont think is on their minds especially after reading this- "Windows 10 Home is permanently set to download and install updates automatically. Only Pro and Enterprise editions of Windows 10 may defer updates" - which sounds like they dont even want you going back from ,say, 10.3 to 10.2 . Nevermind from 10 all the way back to 7 or 8 .

i'm doing it for the laughs . early adopters for the win(dows blue screen of death) ! .

:/

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:01 am

Well, my offer arrived in the tray - although now I've looked this morning the icon has disappeared. That'll be sorted some time in the future.

I've had the chance to talk to my son since my last comment. He's installed it. I nearly swallowed my tongue when he told me. My immediate reaction was to ask him if he'd popped it into a sandbox/VM. Phew! he has; there are times when I'm proud of him. It's now chuckling away in a VM and so far he's had no problems. All his drivers seem to be operating properly and he's had no programme drama queens throwing hissy fits. It's early days yet, but he thinks it will be a success. In other words, he likes it. :)

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:29 am

Dujon wrote:Well, my offer arrived in the tray - although now I've looked this morning the icon has disappeared. That'll be sorted some time in the future.

I've had the chance to talk to my son since my last comment. He's installed it. I nearly swallowed my tongue when he told me. My immediate reaction was to ask him if he'd popped it into a sandbox/VM. Phew! he has; there are times when I'm proud of him. It's now chuckling away in a VM and so far he's had no problems. All his drivers seem to be operating properly and he's had no programme drama queens throwing hissy fits. It's early days yet, but he thinks it will be a success. In other words, he likes it. :)
Thanks for the update Dujon. My icon is still waiting for me to accept.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:25 am

ChrisC wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere, that you will be able to wind back to your previous version of windows if your not feeling Windows 10.
You can, using Windows rollback. All the way back to XP, if that's what you had running. It requires a little trickery.