Technology Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Technology Thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Me neither to be honest. When asked by my boss some years ago to use one note, it was met with the response "Are you having a fcuking giraffe?"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:49 am

on my ipad, when using safari - if i have different tabs open, whenever i try to flick between them the one i want to look at automatically resubmits, therefore quite often returning to the homepage or login page... extremely annoying! any ideas?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:50 am

OK .... so, here I am slowly getting used to Windows 8.1. I don't like it and I know it'll be gone in a year or so's time, which is good.

As a search engine I've always kept to using Internet Explorer. I've avoided Chrome ... & Bing is a fckg nuisance. I've messed bout with Firefox, though I understand Firefox abandoned it's attempt to finalise a Windows 8 version.

However the current IE is simply being overtaken by adverts and things which have presumably paid to come up on page 1 of any search. It's now got to the point where, for any search on a laptop, I have to scroll down a screen to get to what are genuine finds.

I appreciate this is hardly life threatening, I know, but it's fckg irritating.

Can I bar these superfluous adverts somehow ? Or am I condemned to this for now ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:56 am

bobo the clown wrote:OK .... so, here I am slowly getting used to Windows 8.1. I don't like it and I know it'll be gone in a year or so's time, which is good.

As a search engine I've always kept to using Internet Explorer. I've avoided Chrome ... & Bing is a fckg nuisance. I've messed bout with Firefox, though I understand Firefox abandoned it's attempt to finalise a Windows 8 version.

However the current IE is simply being overtaken by adverts and things which have presumably paid to come up on page 1 of any search. It's now got to the point where, for any search on a laptop, I have to scroll down a screen to get to what are genuine finds.

Can I bar these superfluous adverts somehow ? Or am I condemned to this for now ?
pah - moaning IE users - same class as Apple-users as far as I am concerned - you get what you deserve! there's sympathy for you! :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks for that positive input.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:24 am

bobo the clown wrote:OK .... so, here I am slowly getting used to Windows 8.1. I don't like it and I know it'll be gone in a year or so's time, which is good.

I'm a bit confuzzled by this. I use IE11, but all IE is, is a browser (like Chrome and Firefox). Bing is a search facility. So generally IE doesn't "advertise", but the page you land on does. My landing page for IE is Google. You can set your landing page by going into options in IE (top right - thing that looks like a cog wheel), then click "Internet Options" and in the General Tab you can set what page opens up, when you fire the thing up. If you type google.com or google.co.uk then when it opens, it'll open on the google search page which is ad free (other than generally the advert you can click to switch to Chrome)...

I guess they might have tinkered with it in a Win8 Context, but I don't use Win8, so can't help.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:32 am

bobo the clown wrote:Thanks for that positive input.

you're welcome, as ever! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 am

Worthy4England wrote:If you type google.com or google.co.uk then when it opens, it'll open on the google search page which is ad free (other than generally the advert you can click to switch to Chrome)...

I guess they might have tinkered with it in a Win8 Context, but I don't use Win8, so can't help.
OK, that is due to my awful explanation.

It was Google that I meant (not Google Chrome). Sorry.

I've set it up so Google is the norm but any search I do is getting 6,8 or up to 10 stock responses before the proper search replies & I'm asking if there's any way to block tem.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:19 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:If you type google.com or google.co.uk then when it opens, it'll open on the google search page which is ad free (other than generally the advert you can click to switch to Chrome)...

OK, that is due to my awful explanation.

It was Google that I meant (not Google Chrome). Sorry.

I've set it up so Google is the norm but any search I do is getting 6,8 or up to 10 stock responses before the proper search replies & I'm asking if there's any way to block tem.
Yes you can block them using Google's ad settings. But I think your ability to do so might be based on whether you're logged into Google or not. I log into Google, so I have an account and therefore it has preferences - one of the preferences is called Ad's Settings - You can usually get to this from one of the adds displayed (where it has a little i in a circle) - from Ad's Settings you can opt out.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:56 am

Install Ghostery as an extension if available for IE - you can get it for Chrome, Firefox and Opera for sure. It will basically block (if you set it to) all the advertising cookies websites try to put on your computer, meaning it will block much of the annoying stuff. You can also try adblock, another extension that will block adverts etc.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:46 pm

Ta. I'll give it a go

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:22 pm

You could always use:

https://ixquick.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or
https://duckduckgo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both are pretty good search engines that will do a good job for most people.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 18, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm in the market for a new printer. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Will use it to print photos and the odd document. Must have scan and would prefer a doc feed. Decent resolution and print quality a must. Oh, and I want it to be connectible on WiFi.

Cheers.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon May 18, 2015 3:44 pm

My director has asked me if I'd be interested in installing a 3d printer in our office.

'It would be useful for printing 3d models of sub-terranean streetscapes to illustrate our utility services' he says.

I can't get past* making little models of me to give away as Xmas presents. :lol:

*Actually I can't get past Page 1 of our Smileys but that's an entirely different story

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:My director has asked me if I'd be interested in installing a 3d printer in our office.

'It would be useful for printing 3d models of sub-terranean streetscapes to illustrate our utility services' he says.

I can't get past* making little models of me to give away as Xmas presents. :lol:

*Actually I can't get past Page 1 of our Smileys but that's an entirely different story
:lmfao: ooops - you can't use this one...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 18, 2015 4:39 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:My director has asked me if I'd be interested in installing a 3d printer in our office.

You fecking stay well away from it, you. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 18, 2015 4:58 pm

I get 1st dibs on the sweepstake. GtE will break it within the 1st hour :lol:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue May 19, 2015 4:34 pm

4cough the lot of you.

:grin:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 19, 2015 4:40 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I get 1st dibs on the sweepstake. GtE will break it within the 1st hour :lol:
I'll have a Fiver on him then coming on here asking if anyone knows how to fix it. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I get 1st dibs on the sweepstake. GtE will break it within the 1st hour :lol:
I'll have a Fiver on him then coming on here asking if anyone knows how to fix it. :D
And I'll stick a tenner on him losing the thread he asks for help in :D