Technology Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Technology Thread.

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:17 am

Prufrock wrote:I thought about the SIM cutter thing. Also, when I had my phone nicked a few years ago, I went in and told them and they charged me a couple of quid for a new SIM with the same stuff on. Surely I could go in, say I'd lost my phone and just wanted a sim to go in an old iphone the missus had knocking about? The only thing is making sure my 'unlimited internet access' (which is how they describe it) would carry over. Could always ask them while I'm there. I was quite tempted by both the Blackberry and the Samsung options. Have been warned off the Blackberry by folks in the pub tonight. Only ever hear marmite style reviews. Problem with the samsung is it's touch screen and I can't be doing with it. Might enquire into getting my sim in her iphone (fnarr).
My view on phone types:

Blackberry - had a work one. If you prefer keyboards rather than touch screen it is IMO the best keyboard to use. Great for BBM and email. Web browsing and apps is a million times behind Android and iPhone.

Android - I've had Android for the last few years. It is a difficult one as there is a massive variance in what you get with the different versions and manufacturers. Version 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich/ICS) onwards is very good. Before that still decent, but I wouldn't buy a new phone with anything less than ICS. Advantages of Android is you are pretty much free to do what you want with it and you aren't caught up in Apple's version of Colditz. In terms of manufacturers. I'm a HTC user. I find the build quality of their phones to be better than others. Some of the Samsung phones are very nice, but a bit plasticky compared to HTC. I would consider a Samsung, but generally I would go with HTC. My current phone is a One X. A bit big but you get used to it. Other thing is I prefer the HTC Sense interface over Samsung's Wizz interface. The Galaxy Nexus is worth a look as it is pure Android and you don't rely on the manufacturer for OS upgrades (SIM free).

iPhone - I don't like Apple and wouldn't buy one. The missus has a work one and hates it...but then she is a major Blackberry fan and has been for a long time. That said, they are a good phone, though the screens seem to break really easily going off old work colleagues experiences.

Nokia N9 - really good phone. I mean really good. I might have bought one, but Nokia pissing around the way they have with binning it, sort of, makes it a dead OS for the forseeable. Fine if you keep a phone for many years, but if you're an upgrader (a modern curse) then I'd stay clear.

Windows phone - The phones out now are ok. I've played around on the original Lumia. It was a nice enough phone but not for me. The Windows 8 thing remains to be seen, but has some promise.

Nokia Symbian - Just horrible once you've used anything listed above. I've got freebie ones with touch screen/physical keyboard combo etc and they went in the draw after 2 days!

From what you've said so far I'd say Blackberry might be the way for you, especially if you know plenty of people with them (BBM is great). You can use Whatsapp, which is an ok version of BBM and means you can IM with mates on Android/iPhone etc. Get your hands on a few different phones and try and do the common things you'd want to do on each of them and see what feels right.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:21 am

Cheers AT.

Favourite at the moment is the iphone. I don't like the Apple jazz either, but it's free and no contract. What I have now, but with a 'smartphone'. If I can't, then the choices are:

Nokia Asha 300, Nokia Asha 302, Blackberry Curve 9320, Blackberry Curve 9320 Red, Samsung Galaxy Y, and Sony Xperia tipo.

None of which means anything to me.

I think I've persuaded myself I want a fancy smartphone.

I also think threads like this are good for helping you make up your mind. I can't remember where I read it, but someone said you should make all your decisions by flipping a coin. Not to follow what the coin says, but it helps you work out what you really want. A lot of people have said don't get a Blackberry because they are hard to use, but I think actually, Blackberry is what I want. Both the girls at work have them, so I'm gonna ask them what they use them for (they both love them, but it might be for things I'm never going to use).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:33 am

Prufrock wrote:Cheers AT.

Favourite at the moment is the iphone. I don't like the Apple jazz either, but it's free and no contract. What I have now, but with a 'smartphone'. If I can't, then the choices are:

Nokia Asha 300, Nokia Asha 302, Blackberry Curve 9320, Blackberry Curve 9320 Red, Samsung Galaxy Y, and Sony Xperia tipo.

I also think threads like this are good for helping you make up your mind. I can't remember where I read it, but someone said you should make all your decisions by flipping a coin. Not to follow what the coin says, but it helps you work out what you really want. A lot of people have said don't get a Blackberry because they are hard to use, but I think actually, Blackberry is what I want. Both the girls at work have them, so I'm gonna ask them what they use them for (they both love them, but it might be for things I'm never going to use).

i have a blackberry 9320 and it is not hard to use - I can work it... nuff said!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:Cheers AT.

Out of that lot I'd go the Blackberry, if of course you decide against the iPhone. If you like the iPhone you'd find it hard to go to a Blackberry afterwards...unless one of the new Blackberry 10 ones when they come out are amazing. For phone calls, email, IM and texting the Blackberry is hard to beat. Owt else, the others are better.

Good luck with it.

PS - If Bish can use a Blackberry anyone can :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:21 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
true 'dat...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:22 pm

thebish wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
true 'dat...
:mrgreen:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: I can't remember where I read it, but someone said you should make all your decisions by flipping a coin. Not to follow what the coin says, but it helps you work out what you really want.

A lot of people have said don't get a Blackberry because they are hard to use, but I think actually, Blackberry is what I want. Both the girls at work have them, so I'm gonna ask them what they use them for (they both love them, but it might be for things I'm never going to use).
That may be me ... I do use that concept. When you toss a coin & it lands, if you go "OK then", then this is really what you werer hoping for.

If you think " .... maybe best out of 3" then, deep down, that answer waasn't what you want.

I have a Blackberry Bold & couldn't want anything more. Maybe more a business, e-mail & access t' t'interweb tool ... but it works.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:33 pm

The Mrs has 2 Blackberrys, work and her own......she likes them, she isn't a big fan of touchscreens. I had an iPhone for ages, swapped to a HTC Desire HD. It was good......but I went back to the iPhone.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:34 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: I can't remember where I read it, but someone said you should make all your decisions by flipping a coin. Not to follow what the coin says, but it helps you work out what you really want.

A lot of people have said don't get a Blackberry because they are hard to use, but I think actually, Blackberry is what I want. Both the girls at work have them, so I'm gonna ask them what they use them for (they both love them, but it might be for things I'm never going to use).
That may be me ... I do use that concept. When you toss a coin & it lands, if you go "OK then", then this is really what you werer hoping for.

If you think " .... maybe best out of 3" then, deep down, that answer waasn't what you want.

I have a Blackberry Bold & couldn't want anything more. Maybe more a business, e-mail & access t' t'interweb tool ... but it works.
I think Pru said that :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

I think Pru said that :wink:
Oooops !

Anyway .... as you were ... it still applies.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:05 am

Got a Galaxy s2, unlimited everything, 24 month contract, love it (would have had the s3 but battery life and the fact they wanted £99 for it made me change my mind)
Forgot to say £27pm

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:23 am

Hoboh wrote:Got a Galaxy s2, unlimited everything, 24 month contract, love it (would have had the s3 but battery life and the fact they wanted £99 for it made me change my mind)
Forgot to say £27pm
:shock: how the rich live eh??

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:26 am

im making do with a blackberry after years of iPhone use, i lost my 4S a few months back and didnt have insurance! so ive decided to stick with this until the iPhone 5 comes out. its the blackberry bold, white one, its shit and i hate it. i will never understand anyone who prefers these to the iPhone.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:26 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:im making do with a blackberry after years of iPhone use, i lost my 4S a few months back and didnt have insurance! so ive decided to stick with this until the iPhone 5 comes out. its the blackberry bold, white one, its shit and i hate it. i will never understand anyone who prefers these to the iPhone.
This. Had em for work, hated them. Switched to iPhone, just superior for every task I want to do on it, IMO.

Personally I dont see the point of owning a smartphone if you are not going to use the web features and apps.

For me if the iPhone is free Id always take that. It's usuaully only price that justifies going elsewhere for an average end user wanting a smartphone.

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:im making do with a blackberry after years of iPhone use, i lost my 4S a few months back and didnt have insurance! so ive decided to stick with this until the iPhone 5 comes out. its the blackberry bold, white one, its shit and i hate it. i will never understand anyone who prefers these to the iPhone.
This. Had em for work, hated them. Switched to iPhone, just superior for every task I want to do on it, IMO.

Personally I dont see the point of owning a smartphone if you are not going to use the web features and apps.

For me if the iPhone is free Id always take that. It's usuaully only price that justifies going elsewhere for an average end user wanting a smartphone.
It's not only price. It's the fact people don't want to be forced into using certain software when there are other options that give you much more freedom a.k.a Android.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:23 pm

IggyTheDawgster wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It's not only price. It's the fact people don't want to be forced into using certain software when there are other options that give you much more freedom a.k.a Android.
Like what? The average user remember.

Only thing I can think of that's an issue is flash, but that is becoming less and less of a problem.

Average person with a smartphone, wants email, web for Facebook twitter, BBC News, plenty of apps to choose from, something that is lightning quick, intuitive and easy to use.

Overall the iPhone ticks those boxes. Most folk genuinely couldn't care less about the apple restrictions. Most don't even think about it.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:24 pm

i didnt know there were any restrictions, ive never had a single problem with an iPhone.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:16 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:i didnt know there were any restrictions, ive never had a single problem with an iPhone.
apart from losing the fecker!! (isn't there a "where's my phone" app?)

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Well I don't personally own a Smartphone, But a few friends have the Iphone and some have others such as HTC and Samsungs. Not having to use iTunes, MicroSD slots for extra memory, larger choice of handsets, Easier PC connections for File management etc seem to be the main arguments I hear in favour of Android. Overall ease of use and customization of Androids OS against Apples is another one that comes up a lot. I've never had a problem using either platform when I've borrowed a friends phone to play around on, But given the choice I think IMO I'd opt for the open Android platform and be able to choose a phone which was tailored to my needs.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:49 pm

IggyTheDawgster wrote:Well I don't personally own a Smartphone, But a few friends have the Iphone and some have others such as HTC and Samsungs. Not having to use iTunes, MicroSD slots for extra memory, larger choice of handsets, Easier PC connections for File management etc seem to be the main arguments I hear in favour of Android. Overall ease of use and customization of Androids OS against Apples is another one that comes up a lot. I've never had a problem using either platform when I've borrowed a friends phone to play around on, But given the choice I think IMO I'd opt for the open Android platform and be able to choose a phone which was tailored to my needs.
Yeah but thats not the average user is it?

Ones that couldn't care less about filesystems and plugging into your PC, and extra memory etc....

Average joe on the street wants something that is easy to use and works out of the box and does all they need immediately.

iPhone wins on that for me. Certainly ease of use, its as good as it gets for me.

Not sure that choice of handsets is relevant, if you want an iPhone, its an iPhone you want....folk don't think 'I want iOS so I need to see what handsets there are'...they think, 'I want an iPhone'....

Itunes is the one thing Apple haven't been able to sort to make it easy to use and intuitive. But I believe they are working on that....