Ale

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ale

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:17 pm

I've got a load of Belgian treacle under the stairs at home. It's been there for over a year. I offer a bottle to everyone that comes round in a bid to get rid of it. Nae takers. :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Wainwright and the sheep are excellent

les enthused by Doom Bar

i have a book of beers to try before I die, i'll get some more reccomendations up.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:26 pm

some nice Scottish ones about too.
Beinn Dearg (3.8% ABV), An Teallach (4.2), and Crofter's Pale Ale (4.2) all by An Teallach Brewery in the far NW.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:37 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Wainwright
See, I find that quality of Wainwright depends entirely upon its keeper. The Assheton Arms in the village of Downham serves, I swear, a pint of Wainwright that'll make your bollocks tingle it's that good. The Bay Mare in Astley Bridge serves a pint of Wainwright which is meh, at best. Bradshaw Conny Club serves a pint of Wainwright that I wouldn't dip sheep in!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:While I was in Montana I had a pint of Moose Drool - I cannot in all honesty recommend it. The following day I rendered the outhouses of Yellowstone Park unusable for several days I would think.
Best Canadian beer I've had over here (bottles, but real ale) was Mill Street's Stock Ale... I think it's a microbrewery from Toronto, so you probably don't see it much in Montreal.
I've heard of the Mill Street Brewery (yes, it is in Toronto) but have never tried any of their products. Natural prejudice, I suppose...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Do you play up at Dunscar, Malc? Problem with going up to Dunscar for a sesh is getting there and back.

Do they still do the one on the bowling green at the back of The Howcroft? That were always a proper good do!

Went to a festival up at the Barlow Institute in Edgworth a few years back. Absolutely fecking dreadful. We ended up doing one and going to the Black Bull instead.
No, I'm not a member of the Golf Club but one of my friends/neighbours is on the committee at Dunscar and so I get invited to the sportsmans dinners and fund raising do's they arrange.

I thought the Howcroft beer festival moved to Bolton Rugby Club or is that a different one?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Bathams Best, Taylor's Landlord, Holdens HSB, and Black Sheep Special with Abbot or Broadside as first reserve.

Stronger ones such as Black Sheep Riggwelter, Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild or Thornbridge Jaipur are good in smaller volumes - not really session ales.

My first love was Ind Coope Burton Ale when it was still being brewed in Burton at the original brewery before being moved after Allied Breweries were taken over to Tetleys in Leeds then to Marstons, where it was ruined.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:49 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:Bathams Best, Taylor's Landlord, Holdens HSB, and Black Sheep Special with Abbot or Broadside as first reserve.

Stronger ones such as Black Sheep Riggwelter, Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild or Thornbridge Jaipur are good in smaller volumes - not really session ales.

My first love was Ind Coope Burton Ale when it was still being brewed in Burton at the original brewery before being moved after Allied Breweries were taken over to Tetleys in Leeds then to Marstons, where it was ruined.
When they first brewed that (Jaipur) it was gorgeous [that knob from Top Gear recommended it about the same time as its apex, and it began to become available in some supermarkets], but since they've started brewing it in the new brewery [which they had to build to satisfy the huge uptake in demand partially because of Clarkson's nod of approval] it just doesn't taste the same. It's OK but not top notch like it used to be IMHO.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:56 pm

My mate lives in a village just outside Burton. The Pedigree in both the village pubs is absolutely gorgeous. Thing is, whenever I try it round here it's bobbins. :(

BWFC76
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BWFC76 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Although I have stopped drinking beer (now just wine & whisky) Sam Smiths "Nut Brown Ale" 5% & Sam Smiths "Stingo" 8% were big favourites of mine.
Means we'll miss out Monday, but come up smiling Tuesday morning.

BWFC76
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BWFC76 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Forgot to mention Badger Brewers "Tangle foot" too
Means we'll miss out Monday, but come up smiling Tuesday morning.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:53 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:Bathams Best, Taylor's Landlord, Holdens HSB, and Black Sheep Special with Abbot or Broadside as first reserve.

When they first brewed that (Jaipur) it was gorgeous [that knob from Top Gear recommended it about the same time as its apex, and it began to become available in some supermarkets], but since they've started brewing it in the new brewery [which they had to build to satisfy the huge uptake in demand partially because of Clarkson's nod of approval] it just doesn't taste the same. It's OK but not top notch like it used to be IMHO.
Yes, I think you are probably right. Never had a bottled version and the last time I had draught Jaipur was a while ago although I would think they had moved to the new brewhouse well before then. Forgot to mention Tribute from St Austell is also good.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:My mate lives in a village just outside Burton. The Pedigree in both the village pubs is absolutely gorgeous. Thing is, whenever I try it round here it's bobbins. :(
I agree that Pedigree doesn't seem to travel well although it may also have something to do with how well the landlord keeps his cellar. Trouble is, as part of a large national brewer the tied Marstons tenants are not as motivated as free house landlords and beer quality can suffer.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:01 pm

BWFC76 wrote:Although I have stopped drinking beer (now just wine & whisky) Sam Smiths "Nut Brown Ale" 5% & Sam Smiths "Stingo" 8% were big favourites of mine.
The Stingo is a type of barley wine, isn't it? Sam Smiths bitter and their rarer brews are generally fairly good but apart from their Yarkshire homeland and an enclave in London you don't see many of their pubs.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Marstons old empire...fckn excellent

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Never been a fan of real ale but enjoyed a few of these and similar ilk in one or two micro breweries when in the Pacific North west

"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:43 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:My mate lives in a village just outside Burton. The Pedigree in both the village pubs is absolutely gorgeous. Thing is, whenever I try it round here it's bobbins. :(
I agree that Pedigree doesn't seem to travel well although it may also have something to do with how well the landlord keeps his cellar. Trouble is, as part of a large national brewer the tied Marstons tenants are not as motivated as free house landlords and beer quality can suffer.

Is there any such thing as tied houses now?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 am

William the White wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:

Is there any such thing as tied houses now?
Surely you mean the opposite Bill?! Everywhere is a tied house or similar (if it's not directly brewery owned, it's pubco owned). It's fecking awful. I blame bastard Wetherspoons. Round our village (two/three quid to either Chorley or Horwich by bus) the pubs are dying. Pub into 'town' for £2 a pint almost-out-of-date pipes-never-cleaned bitter with chavs everywhere and shit loud 'music'. Folk go, so the pubs are dying. What happens when they shut, and there's no competition? Not going to be £2 Wetherspoons any longer. And the breweries have it sewn up. Free house would get a nine gallon firkin of most bitter for about £40. If you're tied you're talking £110-120. If you had the money to buy these places outright you could make a killing, buuut, you're talking seven figures.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:43 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
It's the cellar. And I say the same to Bruce re: Wainwright's. Worst (because there's no excuse, and it's so prevalent) is pipes not being cleaned. After that there's pegs, and stuff getting jigged about. Some fare worse than others. I had a cracking pint of Pedigree somewhere in Manchester not that long ago, can't remember where though!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:03 am

Ask for bright beer. All your problems solved.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.