the Photo thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: the Photo thread

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks Bish. More luck than judgement!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Thanks Bish. More luck than judgement!
well - in my fairly large portfolio of bird pictures - I have no woodpeckers at all! I envy anyone who has managed it! 8)

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Got myself a Samsung NX5 a few years ago, with the intention of taking some great pictures.
Got some good pictures of the grandaughters, and the dog, but other than that cant really be ar$ed carrying it around with me, so mostly use a Pentax Optio pocket camera bought of QVC.
Not as good as he Samsung but pretty damn close, and less than half the price.
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:50 pm

thebish wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Thanks Bish. More luck than judgement!
well - in my fairly large portfolio of bird pictures - I have no woodpeckers at all! I envy anyone who has managed it! 8)
They do tend to fly away as you press the shutter button. Took about a roll of film to get that shot! I've a couple of similar finch shots in a box somewhere. Inspired me to go through my photos this weekend :)

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:42 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
thebish wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:I've got a DSLR (Samsung) but I wouldn't be without a point and shoot. I've had a couple of Panasonic Lumix cameras of that type and I've been very happy with them. The current one sports 20x optical zoom. The crappy one, a bit bashed with a feeble 10x zoom, gets lugged around with me when I don't have the other two. If I'm in the right place at the right time it still takes a decent photo (even if I sometimes have to pimp them in Photoshop).

That said I wouldn't say no to having a Lumix G5 too.
I've had a Lumix TZ1 point and shoot for a good few years and it's served me well. Whilst I've been very pleased with it, I want something better, without it costing me too much. The G5 would be nice, but this would put me in the same position as if I'd bought a DSLR. I'd still need to buy a load of lenses to cover the range that the FZ200 would cover.

Ultimately, I guess its like most things in life. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
what is it that you want a massive zoom for? (are we talking night-time peeping tom work - or wildlife photography?)
Come to think of it, I'm not sure! I think it's more a case that the bridge cameras seem to come with big zooms as a matter of course, which means that once the investment's made, there's no need to be looking to buy any addidional lenses in the future. Plus, it means you don't need to lug a bag around with you, with all the lenses you might need. Its all there in one package.

Having said that, a large zoom would be very handy to take action photo's of my youngest lad playing football, so it's not as though it would never be used.
does he move that fast ??
No. But he looks quite small on the pitch. Or maybe that's because he's far away. :conf:
Hope is what keeps us going.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:51 pm

thebish wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:
thebish wrote:
what is it that you want a massive zoom for? (are we talking night-time peeping tom work - or wildlife photography?)
Come to think of it, I'm not sure! I think it's more a case that the bridge cameras seem to come with big zooms as a matter of course, which means that once the investment's made, there's no need to be looking to buy any addidional lenses in the future. Plus, it means you don't need to lug a bag around with you, with all the lenses you might need. Its all there in one package.

Having said that, a large zoom would be very handy to take action photo's of my youngest lad playing football, so it's not as though it would never be used.

I only ask because i know next to nothing about Lumix cameras - but I do know that it is always worth checking what they mean by ZOOM when they tell you about ZOOM...

there are basically two kinds of ZOOM - optical zoom and digital zoom..

the optical zoom is proper zoom - and involves the lens moving out of the camera - getting physically longer - this is zoom worth having

digital zoom is often simply the camera taking the picture - then cropping it and stretching the pixels - which is fine for some uses (such as a grainy image of Miss Perkins deshabille by the open bathroom window) - bit not great if you were trying to get into wildlife photography and wanted sharp and clean images from a long way off...

as I said - I don't know anything about Lumix cameras - so this isn't a comment about them - just a word of caution about ZOOM! 8)
Thanks. Yes, the Lumix has a 24x optical zoom, which by all accounts is relatively weak in the bridge camera range. Many have 30x or even 35x zoom! The 24x is an equiuvalent of 25 - 600mm in old 35mm terms, so it's quite a beast. It goes up to 46.9x if you use the digital zoom, but as you say, the clarity would be lost, so i wouldn't bother with it.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Some photos from where I've spent and continue to spend many a happy hour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBHnFO93 ... 63dkQ6MZsg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0LENZJ ... 63dkQ6MZsg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and no, I'm not Graham Houghton.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Always hopeful wrote:Some photos from where I've spent and continue to spend many a happy hour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBHnFO93 ... 63dkQ6MZsg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq0LENZJ ... 63dkQ6MZsg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The first one is ace. I spent many, many, many days up there as a kid from that end of Horwich.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:37 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:Some photos from where I've spent and continue to spend many a happy hour:

The first one is ace. I spent many, many, many days up there as a kid from that end of Horwich.
Super set of photo's there. I still get up to the Pike at least twice a year. In 2001 during the Foot & Mouth outbreak, Rivington was one of the first areas in the country to be opened up to walkers. I went up to the Pike every day for a month to try and keep my fitness levels up. Anyway, I think 'Graham Houghton' has answered your questions about the Panasonic Lumix FZ200!

If you haven't got some post-processing software though don't forget you'll need some. No need to go overboard and buy Photoshop but Elements is a good one to aim for. Every image that comes out of a digital camera needs tweaking in some way and doesn't look its best until its been manipulated to some degree, and in any case, that's half the fun.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:09 am

I've been playing around with a bit of software that stitches photos together into a panorama (strangely enough it's called Panorama Maker 4). The software is good but my stock of photos that could potentially create panoramas is limited... but then I came across a series of 5 photos I took up in Scotland of Beinn Eighe. I'd rejected them from my album because as individual photos they weren't great for two reasons: 1) the mountain grandeur was contained in the whole scene which each photo failed to convey and no one photo had a good visual balance, 2) I was on a mountain, Ruadh stac-Beag, to the north and was shooting directly into the sun.

Anyway, the panorama as revealed when the photos were stitched together:

Beinn Eighe (its usually hidden north side) 240º panorama

Now I know that the software works, I can't wait to get out to the mountains again and do some 360º stuff
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:18 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I've been playing around with a bit of software that stitches photos together into a panorama (strangely enough it's called Panorama Maker 4). The software is good but my stock of photos that could potentially create panoramas is limited... but then I came across a series of 5 photos I took up in Scotland of Beinn Eighe. I'd rejected them from my album because as individual photos they weren't great for two reasons: 1) the mountain grandeur was contained in the whole scene which each photo failed to convey and no one photo had a good visual balance, 2) I was on a mountain, Ruadh stac-Beag, to the north and was shooting directly into the sun.

Anyway, the panorama as revealed when the photos were stitched together:

Beinn Eighe (its usually hidden north side) 240º panorama

Now I know that the software works, I can't wait to get out to the mountains again and do some 360º stuff
I LOVE panorama photos - and that's a great example!

I should do more of them... I even have (somewhere) a roll of photographic paper to feed through a printer so I could actually print them off...

Panogio is a good place to upload them - I have one there (one of the very few I have done) of Dunkery beacon on Dartmoor... click and drag left and right - and the photo pans round...

http://www.panogio.com/united-kingdom/208100810788

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 am

thebish wrote: I LOVE panorama photos - and that's a great example!

I should do more of them... I even have (somewhere) a roll of photographic paper to feed through a printer so I could actually print them off...

Panogio is a good place to upload them - I have one there (one of the very few I have done) of Dunkery beacon on Dartmoor... click and drag left and right - and the photo pans round...

:D That's the bee's that is
I've been inspired - I'm definitely going out to look for more opportunities this weekend. Panorama is the future (until my next fad).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:29 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote: I LOVE panorama photos - and that's a great example!

:D That's the bee's that is
I've been inspired - I'm definitely going out to look for more opportunities this weekend. Panorama is the future (until my next fad).
HDR pans are the future! :wink:

btw - check out some of the awesome 3d panoramas on here: http://3dpanorama.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:49 am

Wah! The Nature/Wheatfield is amazing! I could probably hide in there all day.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:20 pm

My dad's camera lets you do four-frame panorama photos. You just take one, then line an x up that appears at the edge of the screen, and repeat. Wouldn't that be simpler?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:My dad's camera lets you do four-frame panorama photos. You just take one, then line an x up that appears at the edge of the screen, and repeat. Wouldn't that be simpler?
simpler than what?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:22 pm

I can do that on my iphone..................
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:28 pm

boltonboris wrote:I can do that on my iphone..................
Canon EOS/Nikon D4 v iphone debate. Hmmmmmm I wonder which one I'll choose?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Can your Canon phone people though.........

Besides, I was being sarcamatastic
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm guessing you look less Japanese with an iphone though...
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless