Phobias

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Phobias

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm not keen on heights or snakes. After meeting a jumping spider today I'm adding them to the dislike list too.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 pm

So banana plants are triffids? Fooking hell.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Fish. Horrible creatures. Don't like them or even aquariums. Not fear at all, as I see them swimming around me when I'm in the sea sometimes. Just a healthy dislike of them all. The only place I want to see one is battered, fried and on a plate with salt and vinagar.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I'm not keen on heights or snakes. After meeting a jumping spider today I'm adding them to the dislike list too.
Generally I don't mind heights when standing on terra firma looking down (e.g. the North Rim of the Grand Canyon or walking across the Golden Gate) but I really dislike glassed-in elevators which shoot up the outside of tall buildings. I press myself as flat as possible against the building side and close my eyes.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Generally I don't mind heights when standing on terra firma looking down (e.g. the North Rim of the Grand Canyon or walking across the Golden Gate) but I really dislike glassed-in elevators which shoot up the outside of tall buildings. I press myself as flat as possible against the building side and close my eyes.
I'm just a wuss with heights. Was looking at apartments a year or so ago in advance of moving here. 1st one was the 28th floor. I made it to the balcony ok, but I wasn't keen on the view! The next one was the 20th floor and was no better. The one after was the 10th. That was ok but I was a bit edgy looking down. Once we moved here I sacked the idea of an apartment and got a villa in the desert instead! I've no idea how folk live in the 100 floor buildings :shock:

This photo is taken from an apartment in Dubai Marina. He is well short of the top floor but I'd never make it near the window let alone the balcony! As for being in the twisty building :shock:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:05 pm

15 years ago my sister lived on the 24th floor of 1 Palace Pier, just west of Toronto. It had floor to ceiling windows which I approached cautiously. Spectacular view over downtown Toronto and one could see the US across Lake Ontario. I got used to the windows by sneaking up to them, but doubt I could live there.

"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Nope. Not keen on that! Nice view though.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:21 pm

I've been diagnosed with a chronic fear of giants; Fee-fi-phobia.
Hope is what keeps us going.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Mine's rats, but only real rats. I don't give a monkey's about photos of em or stuffed toy rats or the like. But real rats running towards me and I shit myself. Strangely enough, mice I'm not overly bothered about so long as they are not touching me, and other rodents like shrews and whatnot I actually like.
My worst nightmare is being in confined spaces with the buggers, and I once had the misfortune to go on a tour of the secret world underneath the Royal Mile in Edinburgh and the place was alive with them.
Once upon a time I was emptying my bin into the outside one and a rat, the size of a cat, ran across my foot. I've not worn flip-flops when leaving the house since.
Troll and proud of it.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:19 pm

i'm frightened of the incorrect term " could of " , " should of " , or similar.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:11 pm

a1 wrote:i'm frightened of the incorrect term " could of " , " should of " , or similar.
Aye, that grammar's is a bit frightening. :wink:

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
yeah , dont get how it came to be, even sounds like "-a" or "-ov" or the real "-ve"

couldof-wouldof-shouldof

fcuk of

:/

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
a1 wrote:i'm frightened of the incorrect term " could of " , " should of " , or similar.
Is is it?? :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:13 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Is is it?? :wink:
Yiz.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:41 am

I had a dislike of heights if I was not inside. Looking over cliff edges gave me that tight scrotum feeling as your nuts retreat as far into your torso as they can to protect themselves.

That was until I had to climb a stand alone cement silo which was in the pitch black dark at the side of Heathrow runway at 2.00 am so that I could 'shake' the filters in preparation for switching the generator on. It was one of those with the ladder on the outside and a cage which would (if you fell) stop you from falling outwards and just down.

The first time I did it it took me nearly 20 minutes and then gradually I got faster. I'm a big advocate of facing your fears as I believe the more you are exposed to something the more inured you become to it.

Looked like this:

Last edited by Gary the Enfield on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:47 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:I had a dislike of heights if I was not inside. Looking over cliff edges gave me that tight scrotum feeling as your nuts retreat as far into your torso as they can to protect themselves.

That was until I had to climb a stand alone cement silo which was in the pitch black dark at the side of Heathrow runway at 2.00 am so that I could 'shake' the filters in preparation for switching the generator on. It was one of those with the ladder on the outside and a cage which would (if you fell) stop you from falling outwards and just down.

The first time I did it it took me nearly 20 minutes and then gradually I got faster. I'm a big advocate of facing your fears as I believe the more you are exposed to something the more inured you become to it.
You might be right, but I suspect if you exposed me to rats in an effort to 'cure me' all you'd find at the end would be a jabbering drooling wreck, a large pile of poo, and a few happy rats.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:59 am

There you go Monty, it's good advice is that. You just need to face your banana insertion fear head on.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:03 am

CrazyHorse wrote:There you go Monty, it's good advice is that. You just need to face your banana insertion fear head on.
:lol:

or arse on in this case.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:16 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:There you go Monty, it's good advice is that. You just need to face your banana insertion fear head on.
:lol:

or arse on in this case.

Well, there are some things you need to introduce gradually, and some you really shouldn't introduce at all. :shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:35 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:I had a dislike of heights if I was not inside. Looking over cliff edges gave me that tight scrotum feeling as your nuts retreat as far into your torso as they can to protect themselves.

I took a job with a container firm in Liverpool. First thing the boss did was ask was I okay with heights. I said yes. He then got me to climb up this big crane thing, put a harness on and walk out to the end of the jib. There was a walkway (about 12" wide) and handrails, but with the wind around Liverpool dock area I wished I'd kept my mouth shut. Nobody ever had to really go out there, just mainteneance guys, it was just a test of nerve, but it was a buttock clencher. Not quite as high as this fella, but not far off. Never been as glad to get back on terra firma in my life.