Boston Marathon hit by explosions

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Boston Marathon hit by explosions

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Just the sense I got from watching live coverage last night on Sky and BBC News 24 having had some professional involvement in that area. As a country, we are used to such incidents after 30 odd years of the troubles (financed somewhat ironically in part, by Boston based 'Irish' Americans) and we have plans in place for any such eventuality. It seems that the initial bomb was detonated from inside a bin. Why it hadn't been searched and sealed is anyone's guess, they are in the UK prior to large public events.
Exactly what happened in Warrington 20yrs ago.

In the end you can't prevent extremists other than by vigilance, excellent (& at times undemocratic) security steps and persuading people that it's not the way.

... & I was refraining from the Boston/Noraid links. Not sure why, very unlike me.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:We have to be thankful only two people were killed - it could have been very much worse.

CNN has some interesting photos (none horrific that I saw) at http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/galler ... ?hpt=hp_c3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Three dead now including an eight-year old. They are pulling ball bearings out of people so it was sort sort of claymore mine.
The eight-year old was apparently a Sandy Hook survivor and many parents from that tragedy were guests in the VIP tent at the finish. Unbelievable.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 pm

The 8 year old is not a Sandy Hook survivor, but he had just watched his Dad finish and in fact had just hugged him and returned to his sisters and mum. Mum and one sister (lost a leg) is now in hospital as well. The Sandy Hook contingent was found to be safe.

The police had bomb sniffing dogs inspect the very area that was bombed approximately an hour before the blasts. They were being as aware as you can be covering 26 miles of course.

The first responders were amazing and there were so many emergency personnel and physicians in the area that many lives were saved. Watch all of the footage and it will strike you how many people were running towards those in need.

I've watched that marathon in person and I've walked that street many times (including at a Parade packed with people celebrating a Baseball Championship) I am so sad for those affected.

All I can say is that there is a lot of inaccurate reports floating around as social media and the desire to be first intersect with our need for answers. A lot of what's posted here has been debunked by the local authorities, but the truth will be elusive for a while.

As for the irony of the "troubles" and their financial backing? Probably best left for another day. I was born in Bolton and raised in the United States and lived in Boston for several years. Bostonians are fine people and in no way do they deserve what happened to them, troubles or no.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:50 pm

americantrotter wrote:The 8 year old is not a Sandy Hook survivor, but he had just watched his Dad finish and in fact had just hugged him and returned to his sisters and mum. Mum and one sister (lost a leg) is now in hospital as well. The Sandy Hook contingent was found to be safe.

The police had bomb sniffing dogs inspect the very area that was bombed approximately an hour before the blasts. They were being as aware as you can be covering 26 miles of course.

The first responders were amazing and there were so many emergency personnel and physicians in the area that many lives were saved. Watch all of the footage and it will strike you how many people were running towards those in need.

I've watched that marathon in person and I've walked that street many times (including at a Parade packed with people celebrating a Baseball Championship) I am so sad for those affected.

All I can say is that there is a lot of inaccurate reports floating around as social media and the desire to be first intersect with our need for answers. A lot of what's posted here has been debunked by the local authorities, but the truth will be elusive for a while.

As for the irony of the "troubles" and their financial backing? Probably best left for another day. I was born in Bolton and raised in the United States and lived in Boston for several years. Bostonians are fine people and in no way do they deserve what happened to them, troubles or no.
Quite right, at the moment it is a time of grieving and not for why and what could have.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:41 pm

americantrotter wrote:The 8 year old is not a Sandy Hook survivor, but he had just watched his Dad finish and in fact had just hugged him and returned to his sisters and mum. Mum and one sister (lost a leg) is now in hospital as well. The Sandy Hook contingent was found to be safe.

The first responders were amazing and there were so many emergency personnel and physicians in the area that many lives were saved. Watch all of the footage and it will strike you how many people were running towards those in need.I've watched that marathon in person and I've walked that street many times (including at a Parade packed with people celebrating a Baseball Championship) I am so sad for those affected.

That's what struck me too. Incredibly brave.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks for the clarification. So much for CNN, although I'm glad the poor Sandy Hookites were okay.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:38 pm

It turns out his father may not have ran the marathon, but the injuries to his sister and his mother are in fact correct.

See, even near the epicenter with access to local sources the information gets dispersed that is not accurate. Estimates of over 180 imjured at this point, but no further deaths. Those people that ran to help certainly saved lives.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Believe an arrest has been made.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 pm

seanworth wrote:Believe an arrest has been made.
No arrest made......

http://news.sky.com/story/1079493/bosto ... rrest-made" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:06 pm

americantrotter wrote:It turns out his father may not have ran the marathon, but the injuries to his sister and his mother are in fact correct.

See, even near the epicenter with access to local sources the information gets dispersed that is not accurate. Estimates of over 180 imjured at this point, but no further deaths. Those people that ran to help certainly saved lives.
Aye - 1st reports were saying a couple of other devices had been found which hadn't gone off and one which had gone off in the JFK Library (?). Not heard those claims repeated since, so assume they were false?

As 9/11 was underway there were reports of car bombs going off in Washington
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
No arrest made......

http://news.sky.com/story/1079493/bosto ... rrest-made" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well that's going to piss off the lynch mob building up around the court house. The reports said an arrest had been made, they were already heading to the court house and a tv conference was to held at 5:00pm EST. Wonder who leaked that story.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
americantrotter wrote:It turns out his father may not have ran the marathon, but the injuries to his sister and his mother are in fact correct.

Aye - 1st reports were saying a couple of other devices had been found which hadn't gone off and one which had gone off in the JFK Library (?). Not heard those claims repeated since, so assume they were false?

As 9/11 was underway there were reports of car bombs going off in Washington
JFK library was an unrelated emergency call because of a fire. No other devices found.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
No arrest made......

They want to interview a suspect but haven't yet identified him
Investigators scrambling to solve the fatal bombings at the Boston Marathon want to question a man seen on video as a possible suspect in the attack, two official sources with knowledge of the investigation said Wednesday.

The sources identified the person as a man wearing a white baseball cap. One of the sources added that the cap was on backwards and the man was also wearing a light-colored hooded sweatshirt and a black jacket. The second source said investigators have not identified this person.

The news comes on a day when authorities have made "significant progress" in the case but no arrests, a federal law enforcement source told CNN's John King. Sources previously told CNN that a suspect was in custody, but both Boston police and the FBI denied that any arrests had been made.

In addition, a federal law enforcement source told CNN that "anyone who says 'arrest' is ahead of themselves."

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:03 pm

americantrotter wrote: As for the irony of the "troubles" and their financial backing? Probably best left for another day. I was born in Bolton and raised in the United States and lived in Boston for several years. Bostonians are fine people and in no way do they deserve what happened to them, troubles or no.
What has happened is an atrocity.

You may wish to leave it for "another day" but I suspect you know damn well that had a foreign nation financially supported terrorism in the New England area you and many of those fine Bostonians would be squealing like a stuck pig.

The irony is there for all to see - perhaps best that we all learn from it rather than ignore it.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
americantrotter wrote: As for the irony of the "troubles" and their financial backing? Probably best left for another day. I was born in Bolton and raised in the United States and lived in Boston for several years. Bostonians are fine people and in no way do they deserve what happened to them, troubles or no.

You may wish to leave it for "another day" but I suspect you know damn well that had a foreign nation financially supported terrorism in the New England area you and many of those fine Bostonians would be squealing like a stuck pig.

The irony is there for all to see - perhaps best that we all learn from it rather than ignore it.
Are you saying that every single person in Boston contributed to the IRA?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 pm

jaffka wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:

Are you saying that every single person in Boston contributed to the IRA?
:conf:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:

Noraid was scarcely a foreign nation, Willy. The Boston marathon is an international event so the bomb targeted far more than Bostonians and especially Irish ones. I find the suggestion of some sort of irony unfortunate and am glad that Bobo at least refrained.

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 am

Huge Explosion at Texas Fertilizer Plant

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:22 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I find the suggestion of some sort of irony unfortunate and am glad that Bobo at least refrained.
I see no reason to refrain. The point I was trying to make to AT, rather rudely I might add, is that it is exactly at times like these that the lessons learnt from past mistakes re terrorism should be reiterated. There is no need to shy away from this and "leave it for another day".
I am sorry you find that unfortunate.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 am

It was the Illuminati.........

http://illuminatiwatcher.com/?p=6453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;