Spotty's Little Known Facts

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Spotty's Little Known Facts

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:57 am

Aldous Huxley taught George Orwell French at Eton.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:Aldous Huxley taught George Orwell French at Eton.
French what?
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Aldous Huxley taught George Orwell French at Eton.
French what?
Kissing?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:53 pm

It's a little known fact that Spotty hasn't been seen in a good while. Or am I mistaken?
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:It's a little known fact that Spotty hasn't been seen in a good while. Or am I mistaken?
It is worrying a touch.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:It's a little known fact that Spotty hasn't been seen in a good while. Or am I mistaken?
Spotski was not very well and took a break at his own request. I've sent him a pm in the hope he'll reply and be okay.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:01 am

Good news. Contacted Spotski and he's okay and will post when he's ready.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:29 pm

It's a little known fact that Priorite a droite still exists in France... or rather it was a very little known fact to myself, and consequently almost the very last known fact I might have encountered in my lifespan. I had been wondering all the way up from Strasbourg what the little signs with a yellow diamond on a white background meant, and then just a little short of the turnoff on the A16 for the Tunnel outside the small town of Marquise I happened upon the sign yet again only this time it had a black diagonal stripe through it, thus:

I nearly shat myself when a thunderous great lorry launched itself at me...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Another little known fact which I recently encountered is that there's a language called Alsatian - or rather a series of dialects that make up a language called Alsatian. It isn't composed of barks, although it is quite gutteral. I came across this example and took its photo in a tiny village called Eguisheim. I'm told it is from the dialect called Welche (pronounced Velkay, and the name has exactly the same root as Welsh, i.e. it's Germanic for foreigner).

That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:It's a little known fact that Priorite a droite still exists in France... or rather it was a very little known fact to myself, and consequently almost the very last known fact I might have encountered in my lifespan. I had been wondering all the way up from Strasbourg what the little signs with a yellow diamond on a white background meant, and then just a little short of the turnoff on the A16 for the Tunnel outside the small town of Marquise I happened upon the sign yet again only this time it had a black diagonal stripe through it, thus:

I nearly shat myself when a thunderous great lorry launched itself at me...
Came into contact with that rule many years back when I was in full flow against a tractor that meandered onto
a main highway in France. The driver gave me some Gallic flow in return and it was only later I found it was me in the wrong.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Came into contact with that rule many years back when I was in full flow against a tractor that meandered onto
a main highway in France. The driver gave me some Gallic flow in return and it was only later I found it was me in the wrong.
Exactement... I was in the wrong too but going too fast around the roundabout to do much about it. It's a good job for my sake that the lorry driver had bloody good reactions. It confused the hell out of me, in fact I'm still confused, thinking about it I can't remember whether the sign had the black diagonal through it or if that's the norm and this one particular roundabout just had the yellow diamond sign. Whichever, it's very naughty of the French to have two contradictory laws of the road in the same country...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:28 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Exactement... I was in the wrong too but going too fast around the roundabout to do much about it. It's a good job for my sake that the lorry driver had bloody good reactions. It confused the hell out of me, in fact I'm still confused, thinking about it I can't remember whether the sign had the black diagonal through it or if that's the norm and this one particular roundabout just had the yellow diamond sign. Whichever, it's very naughty of the French to have two contradictory laws of the road in the same country...
Happened to me in 1978, when they didn't even have signs. Guy just shot out of what looked like a driveway to me as O was heading for Alsace oddly enough. On that same trip I recall driving three times round on the inside track of the Place de la Concorde wondering how I good get to my exit with everyone entering at terrifying speeds. Finally put on the indicator, closed my eyes and booted it. What a daft rule. Welcome back.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Spotski was not very well and took a break at his own request. I've sent him a pm in the hope he'll reply and be okay.
Do you need permission not to post?
Sto ut Serviam

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:53 pm

I'm quite surprised about this, as the majority of roundabouts I see in France these days have "vous n'avez pas la priorite", "cedez la passage" and "priorite a gauche" plastered all over them to remind the old dears that giving way on the roundabout was abolished about the time of slavery.

AND another thing, they have funky new breathalysers that you just speak into. And they stop you on the f*cking roundabouts in moving traffic (thus holding everyone else up) to make you speak into it. They never learn, do they?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:00 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'm quite surprised about this, as the majority of roundabouts I see in France these days have "vous n'avez pas la priorite", "cedez la passage" and "priorite a gauche" plastered all over them to remind the old dears that giving way on the roundabout was abolished about the time of slavery.

AND another thing, they have funky new breathalysers that you just speak into. And they stop you on the f*cking roundabouts in moving traffic (thus holding everyone else up) to make you speak into it. They never learn, do they?
I'm not quite sure when slavery was abolished in France but my experience was some years back...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:35 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'm quite surprised about this, as the majority of roundabouts I see in France these days have "vous n'avez pas la priorite", "cedez la passage" and "priorite a gauche" plastered all over them to remind the old dears that giving way on the roundabout was abolished about the time of slavery.

You weren't as surprised as I was. I thought that they'd changed the law so that it didn't occur at all, but apparently they've just adjusted the priorities in the vast majority of cases. A few stick in the mud communes have though resisted the new modern ways and I happened upon one instance. The very dangerous thing about it was how close to Calais it was, on the back road from between Audreselles and Wissant heading into Marquise. About ten miles from thousands of Ros bifs roaring dangerously about.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:06 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Spotski was not very well and took a break at his own request. I've sent him a pm in the hope he'll reply and be okay.
Do you need permission not to post?
You do when you're me :mrgreen:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Happened to me in 1978, when they didn't even have signs. Guy just shot out of what looked like a driveway to me as O was heading for Alsace oddly enough. On that same trip I recall driving three times round on the inside track of the Place de la Concorde wondering how I good get to my exit with everyone entering at terrifying speeds. Finally put on the indicator, closed my eyes and booted it. What a daft rule. Welcome back.
And 'ello to you too again.
Were you heading to Alsace for anything in particular?
I need to return. There and Switzerland, I just passed through and should have lingered a while longer.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:38 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
I need to return. There and Switzerland, I just passed through and should have lingered a while longer.
Many reasons of varying importance. Amongst these:
a) I was going from Strasburg to Beaune trying out wines and medieval architecture.
b) I had never been there.
c) I wanted to try Framboise Alsace of which I had heard but not partaken
d) We had booked a night in Colmar at the Restaurant Rapp mit raums. This restaurant then had two stars in the Michelin guide and we wanted one really good meal that trip. A quick check of google shows it still exists but is now l'Hotel Restaurant le Rapp but I couldn't tell if it still had the stars.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Many reasons of varying importance. Amongst these:
a) I was going from Strasburg to Beaune trying out wines and medieval architecture.
b) I had never been there.
c) I wanted to try Framboise Alsace of which I had heard but not partaken
d) We had booked a night in Colmar at the Restaurant Rapp mit raums. This restaurant then had two stars in the Michelin guide and we wanted one really good meal that trip. A quick check of google shows it still exists but is now l'Hotel Restaurant le Rapp but I couldn't tell if it still had the stars.
Egiusheim is very close to Colmar. But very difficult to find. It's worthwhile finding it, I recommend another trip over... :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください