The middle East

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The middle East

Post by Dujon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:01 am

Have you ever played "pick-up-sticks"?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 am

Russian warships heading for the Eastern Med :roll:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/ ... AK20130829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:14 pm

there are a number of reports surfacing today - like this one - suggesting that there is at least a credible case to heard against the rebel forces for the gas attack...

http://www.examiner.com/article/breakin ... al-weapons

and here: http://www.infowars.com/rebels-admit-re ... ns-attack/
Syrian rebels in the Damascus suburb of Ghouta have admitted to Associated Press correspondent Dale Gavlak that they were responsible for last week’s chemical weapons incident which western powers have blamed on Bashar Al-Assad’s forces, revealing that the casualties were the result of an accident caused by rebels mishandling chemical weapons provided to them by Saudi Arabia.

“From numerous interviews with doctors, Ghouta residents, rebel fighters and their families….many believe that certain rebels received chemical weapons via the Saudi intelligence chief, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, and were responsible for carrying out the (deadly) gas attack,” writes Gavlak. (back up version here).

Rebels told Gavlak that they were not properly trained on how to handle the chemical weapons or even told what they were. It appears as though the weapons were initially supposed to be given to the Al-Qaeda offshoot Jabhat al-Nusra.

“We were very curious about these arms. And unfortunately, some of the fighters handled the weapons improperly and set off the explosions,” one militant named ‘J’ told Gavlak.

His claims are echoed by another female fighter named ‘K’, who told Gavlak, “They didn’t tell us what these arms were or how to use them. We didn’t know they were chemical weapons. We never imagined they were chemical weapons.”

Abu Abdel-Moneim, the father of an opposition rebel, also told Gavlak, “My son came to me two weeks ago asking what I thought the weapons were that he had been asked to carry,” describing them as having a “tube-like structure” while others were like a “huge gas bottle.” The father names the Saudi militant who provided the weapons as Abu Ayesha.

According to Abdel-Moneim, the weapons exploded inside a tunnel, killing 12 rebels.

“More than a dozen rebels interviewed reported that their salaries came from the Saudi government,” writes Gavlak.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:26 pm

and alongside that... with a feeling of déjà vu..
Within hours of publication, the Obama administration's documentation on Syria, which is being used to support the case for US-led direct military strikes on the country, has been criticised for its lack of verifiable detail.

The three-page white paper, which claims to prove the culpability of the Assad regime for a chemical weapons attack on the outskirts of Damascus, contains no direct quotes, no photographic evidence, no named sources, and no independently supported evidence, notes analyst Robert Parry, who broke many of the Iran-Contra stories in the 1980s for the Associated Press and Newsweek. He now heads up the Consortium for Independent Journalism (CIJ) in the United States.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:26 pm

Jeremy Bowen is a cock. He has no idea about neutrality. None.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:39 pm

thebish wrote:and alongside that... with a feeling of déjà vu..
Within hours of publication, the Obama administration's documentation on Syria, which is being used to support the case for US-led direct military strikes on the country, has been criticised for its lack of verifiable detail.

The three-page white paper, which claims to prove the culpability of the Assad regime for a chemical weapons attack on the outskirts of Damascus, contains no direct quotes, no photographic evidence, no named sources, and no independently supported evidence, notes analyst Robert Parry, who broke many of the Iran-Contra stories in the 1980s for the Associated Press and Newsweek. He now heads up the Consortium for Independent Journalism (CIJ) in the United States.
Are you suggesting you lack faith in Western intelligence gathering, bish, or believe in governmental unwillingness to tell the people the truth? Surely we couldn't be deceived. Again. So soon.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:19 am

The Saudis are virtually a US puppet regime anyway. Although it has to be noted that about 10% of the US economy is entirely in their hands. It comes as no great surprise to hear of their alleged involvement.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks for the link Bish. That's one in the eye for cocks like Paddy Ashdown. I'm more proud of our parliament today than I ever have been
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:The Saudis are virtually a US puppet regime anyway. Although it has to be noted that about 10% of the US economy is entirely in their hands. It comes as no great surprise to hear of their alleged involvement.
Where's this figure from?

Aren't the US on the cusp of becoming a net energy exporter and even a net oil exporter?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:The Saudis are virtually a US puppet regime anyway. Although it has to be noted that about 10% of the US economy is entirely in their hands. It comes as no great surprise to hear of their alleged involvement.

Aren't the US on the cusp of becoming a net energy exporter and even a net oil exporter?
I don't think so PB - not even close. This doesn't mean they couldn't be but they don't export, preferring to store or reserve.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I don't think so PB - not even close. This doesn't mean they couldn't be but they don't export, preferring to store or reserve.

apart from about 124,000 barrels a day...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:58 am

thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

According to the US Energy Administration they import some 8,000,000 barrels of crude oil a day. They export 52,000 barrels of crude oil a day. It is true they export more product derived from crude oil than they import by a ration of 3:2. Anyway, whether your 124k or the 52k quoted by the US Energy Administration is accurate, they still import many times as much as they export. I don't see that as close.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:38 am

Put 'US net oil exporter' into Google and you'll find lots of articles on similar themes to this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22524597" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:07 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

According to the US Energy Administration they import some 8,000,000 barrels of crude oil a day. They export 52,000 barrels of crude oil a day. It is true they export more product derived from crude oil than they import by a ration of 3:2. Anyway, whether your 124k or the 52k quoted by the US Energy Administration is accurate, they still import many times as much as they export. I don't see that as close.
i didn't say it was close - I was just saying that your statement that "they don't export" was not quite right.

also - your export figure is a bit low - perhaps out of date?? according to the very same US Energy Administration, US exports of Crude Oil over the last three months have been as follows:

April 2013: 132,000 bpd
May 2013: 125,000 bpd
June 2013: 120,000 bpd

which is pretty much what I said.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHa ... REXUS2&f=M

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:36 am

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:28 pm

They admit issuing the licences but aren't they denying any sales were actually made? Or am I out of date on this?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:33 pm

William the White wrote:
They admit issuing the licences but aren't they denying any sales were actually made? Or am I out of date on this?
no - that's what is being said... the issuing of licenses is the government part - whether sales go ahead after that is then out of their hands, no?

i think what is being said is that the part where the gov. could have intervened - the issuing of the licenses - that's where the gov. failed to act... the sales didn't go ahead because of the later imposition of EU sanctions...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:46 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:
no - that's what is being said... the issuing of licenses is the government part - whether sales go ahead after that is then out of their hands, no?

i think what is being said is that the part where the gov. could have intervened - the issuing of the licenses - that's where the gov. failed to act... the sales didn't go ahead because of the later imposition of EU sanctions...
Bloody EU regulations getting in the way again eh?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:

Well, we've got more to use on badgers now.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:

Well, we've got more to use on badgers now.
:cry:

I like badgers.