The Weather

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Weather

Post by boltonboris » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:49 pm

A cow has just flown by our office window
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:58 pm

My Canadian chums have still not arrived yet, by the way. Does Toronto still exist?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Only real description of the weather today is "miserable". Wet and windy and darkening early. And I've got to take the dog for his walk yet. He doesn't understand (or accept) bad weather.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:My Canadian chums have still not arrived yet, by the way. Does Toronto still exist?
I got the following bulletin from a friend in Toronto.
Toronto and southern Ontario is almost a disaster zone with large parts of the city and along the Lake without hydro. I'm OK downtown at Bloor and Church, but 100,000s still without hydro. Exposed areas of the subway closed. Ford is acting soberly in the crisis. Ontario and Toronto Hydro, police, TTC, fire departments all doing a superb job.
It's not the Montreal and QC 1998 ice storm, but it has paralysed parts of the province and Toronto.
I'm in a free wi-fi café on Church.
Main roads and streets are generally OK, but side streets have broken trees and icy sidewalks.
Happy Holidays!
Paul.
Note: Ford is their druggie, buffoonish mayor. Ottawa and Montreal are not paralyzed because we are more used to this sort of thing.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:My Canadian chums have still not arrived yet, by the way. Does Toronto still exist?
Belay that query, an answer is at hand, text messages have been received. It would appear the non-arrival of my Ottawians was purely idiot driven and not weather related in the slightest. Leaving behind of passport at home sort of idiocy.

Edit: they will now be arriving after Christmas Day due to rebooking the flights.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:39 am

well - was gonna meet a bloke in Dartmouth today - but now can't because both the ferries are off due to tidal surges - and I'm buggered if I'm going all the way round via Totnes...

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:39 pm

[quote="TANGODANCER"]Only real description of the weather today is "miserable". Wet and windy and darkening early. And I've got to take the dog for his walk yet. He doesn't understand (or accept) bad weather.[/quote]

:D , clearly not from Bolton then is he.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:52 pm

thebish wrote:well - was gonna meet a bloke in Dartmouth today - but now can't because both the ferries are off due to tidal surges - and I'm buggered if I'm going all the way round via Totnes...
You want to see the Bay of Biscay - or rather you don't. The ferries have been suspended but a mate of mine was on the last one yesterday, and the footage he took is awesome. I'm amazed nobody got washed overboard.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: You want to see the Bay of Biscay - or rather you don't. The ferries have been suspended but a mate of mine was on the last one yesterday, and the footage he took is awesome. I'm amazed nobody got washed overboard.
Was on a crossing to Dublin a couple of years ago. I was booked onto that fast catamaran thing originally but they'd cancelled it due to the sea being too rough for it and had transferred me onto the big boat. I wish to feck that they'd cancelled that too. I didn't take any footage as I spent most of the journey sat looking at the floor, looking up only to watch as fridge doors swung open, spewing fridge contents, and cupboards swung open depositng crockery all over the floor. A family sat by me decided, in a measure to pacify their screaming kids, gave them each a can of Pepsi. That was always going to end well. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote: You want to see the Bay of Biscay - or rather you don't. The ferries have been suspended but a mate of mine was on the last one yesterday, and the footage he took is awesome. I'm amazed nobody got washed overboard.
Was on a crossing to Dublin a couple of years ago. I was booked onto that fast catamaran thing originally but they'd cancelled it due to the sea being too rough for it and had transferred me onto the big boat. I wish to feck that they'd cancelled that too. I didn't take any footage as I spent most of the journey sat looking at the floor, looking up only to watch as fridge doors swung open, spewing fridge contents, and cupboards swung open depositng crockery all over the floor. A family sat by me decided, in a measure to pacify their screaming kids, gave them each a can of Pepsi. That was always going to end well. :roll:
:lol:

His footage was taken outside. It's a good job he had a proper camera that was vaguely waterproof as nearly 30% of it is underwater footage. The bow of the boat must be be going into the air and dropping back underwater a good hundred foot - no exageration whatsoever - between each wave crest, and that' s before the waves started crashing into the side as well as the up and down front. At that point I'd have wanted a helicopter. Or a sub. Anything but what he filmed..
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 pm

It were cracking the flags in Warrington today.

Bet that doesn't make the news though.
Businesswoman of the year.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:The bow of the boat must be be going into the air and dropping back underwater a good hundred foot - no exageration whatsoever - between each wave crest, and that' s before the waves started crashing into the side as well as the up and down front. At that point I'd have wanted a helicopter. Or a sub. Anything but what he filmed..
A mate who is ex-Merchant Navy once told me the tales of the North Sea where 100' swell (therefore 200' ... ie 100' down, 100' up) were not uncommon.

He explained that lifeboats were for cissies as there'd be NO fckg way you could get in one safely, let alone launch one and should you manage that you'd never survive in it. Great on an exercise, nice on a calm day but forget it in proper seas.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:39 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:The bow of the boat must be be going into the air and dropping back underwater a good hundred foot - no exageration whatsoever - between each wave crest, and that' s before the waves started crashing into the side as well as the up and down front. At that point I'd have wanted a helicopter. Or a sub. Anything but what he filmed..
A mate who is ex-Merchant Navy once told me the tales of the North Sea where 100' swell (therefore 200' ... ie 100' down, 100' up) were not uncommon.

He explained that lifeboats were for cissies as there'd be NO fckg way you could get in one safely, let alone launch one and should you manage that you'd never survive in it. Great on an exercise, nice on a calm day but forget it in proper seas.
I'm with your mate. Lifeboats are for panic-fannies!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:40 pm

thebish wrote:Image
:lol: :pray:
Businesswoman of the year.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Never sailed into Dublin but done Liverpool-Belfast and Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire several times in the past. I can confirm that the Irish Sea in a bad mood is a place best well avoided.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Living in a town with very little grass and infinite concrete is starting to have its affect, my whole street is under 1/2 and inch of water.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:17 pm

Did Plymouth-Roscoff a few years ago, they closed all the British Ports about 40 minutes after we left. Turned into a 9 or 10 hour crossing. The ferry was, and I don't know how to say write this without it sounding like an exaggeration, literally swimming in sick. Everywhere. All over the outside decks, all the doorways where people hadn't made it, all the toilets overflowing, the toilets and the doorway and area leading up to it looked like the Burnden bogs, only not piss but sick. Horrible.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:49 pm

That Bay of Biscay is a bad one.

Got a pint in just as we left Santander, drank about a third, felt queezy, put my head down on the setee and woke up some 12 hours later with the pint and contents still on the table.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:51 pm

jaffka wrote:That Bay of Biscay is a bad one.

Got a pint in just as we left Santander, drank about a third, felt queezy, put my head down on the setee and woke up some 12 hours later with the pint and contents still on the table.
I did the Plymouth Santander ferry about 30 years ago, in July... For once, the Bay of Biscay was like a calm mill pond. The ferry took just under 24 hours. My partner and I had been under months of intense work pressure and then, at 8.00 am, we were on this slow boat going to Spain on a sunny day with barely a hint of breeze... It felt like the best way ever to start a holiday.