The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Couple of pages from my sketch book. Not paintings, just inspired by the cricket today...Duminey and Joe Root...

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:52 pm

Always tough to do "named" cricketers with their lids on, unless you pick out some real identifying elements...bat make, one day number, scoreboard in background etc. I can tell Root isn't Viv Richards or Andrew Strauss but can't tell that it's Joe Root... :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:39 pm

Aye, you'll note I said "inspired" by the cricket since I was just reading the Guardian live commentary. I'd never normally put names to sketches really since I'm more interested in capturing the sense of movement and action. I used photos to get that. Portraits they were never meant to be. I only spent fifteen minutes most on each.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Wasn't a criticism. I think they're good. :-) Just observing that it's difficult to ID cricketers with their lids on.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Wasn't a criticism. I think they're good. :-) Just observing that it's difficult to ID cricketers with their lids on.
Agreed. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Wishing spring on. A line and wash sketch of a lane somewhere in Rivington, from a photograph.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Georges Lane and the dog kennels. Recognised it immediately! Good stuff Tango
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Georges Lane and the dog kennels. Recognised it immediately! Good stuff Tango
Did you now?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:03 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Georges Lane and the dog kennels. Recognised it immediately! Good stuff Tango
Cheers. When I saved the pic to My Picures,H.G. (which I can no longer find the source for) it did call it a dogs hospital cottage? in Rivington. It's still out there somewhere in Google Images but I can't locate it. I'll post the link if I do. .

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Here you go H.G. The very pic...

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2959844" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:36 pm

A line and wash sketch, Birds and Bamboo.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Don't do much still life but as it's my Japanese week, thought I'd have a go.... :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:08 am

Guess you can blame me for Bolton being covered in snow today. I finished this last night and today....bingo. :oops:
I took the main idea and detail of this from an old painting with the aim of catching the moment, atmosphere and mood in a true impressionist way. If it makes you feel cold, then I succeeded... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:18 pm

A couple of line and wash pages from the sketch book I did this week. Seeing lots of daffodils, particularly miniature ones coming out at the moment.

ImageImage

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:02 pm

Couldn't resist doing a version of Spot's stork photograph. Changed a few things around, the angle etc, but it was such a good study it was begging painting the concept. :wink:

Image Image

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Just catching up on this thread. 2 things Tango; Line and wash -could you explain the concept please? The coach and horses pic I think is possibly your best work that I've seen. Would make an excellent xmas card :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Just catching up on this thread. 2 things Tango; Line and wash -could you explain the concept please? The coach and horses pic I think is possibly your best work that I've seen. Would make an excellent xmas card :oyea:
Cheers H.G. for the kind words.

Line and wash is basically a simple way of painting in that you draw/sketch your picture out in ink (make sure the pen you use is fine line and permanent marker or the whole thing will run into a mess when you put paint near it), then just add a few colour washes to it. You can just use pencil if you wish. There are no hard and fast rules and if you go to Youtube and type in "Line and wash" there are lots of tips and lessons there that will explain it far better then I can. A local artist from Wigan called Joanne Boone Thomas does a couple of excellent demos on it. It's a method I enjoy using very much. I'm gradually moving away from too much detail and more to loose impressionist stuff, but main thing is I'm really enjoying it all. I never get fed up. The jug of daffodils a bit higher up the page is where I want to be. I'm real happy with that one. Some of my sketches I think are rubbish at times but I don't throw them away because it helps keep a balance and a resolution to do better. Hope this helps....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:13 pm

This is a line and wash, H.G. that I did yesterday. It's a combination of ink drawing and watercolour. I already did a snow-covered work of the Rivington Pigeon Tower, but this is early spring. Reasonably happy with this one, done on 12" x 9" 300 gsm paper. I get my pads from The Works in Bolton which is very reasonably priced.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Not a painting, just a quick attempt on a sketch book page looking to capture movememnt

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:44 pm

^ I like that a lot. Got movement in it in all the right places. Reminds me of the heavy horses on the beach beneath Black Combe.