The Road Cycling Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The Road Cycling Thread

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
jimbo wrote:Have done ride London twice. If you need any advice or tips, let me know. Good luck for it - it's a great event and fun weekend in London.
Where would be the best place to stay over?

London. :conf:

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
jimbo wrote:Have done ride London twice. If you need any advice or tips, let me know. Good luck for it - it's a great event and fun weekend in London.

Nice one, thanks!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:

Nice one, thanks!
:mrgreen:
There are a few hotels in town but you don't really say what your bidget is or how many? My advice would be stay near the Start/ Finish. And book early. What's the date of it?

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:

Nice one, thanks!
:mrgreen:
There are a few hotels in town but you don't really say what your bidget is or how many? My advice would be stay near the Start/ Finish. And book early. What's the date of it?
31st July. Starts at Queen Elizabeth Park, finishes on the Mall. Going to book soonish.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:02 pm

There's a Premier Inn at the shopping centre at Stratford, which is next door to the QE park. We used it just after the Paralympics. Not sure how far in advance you can book, but may be worth giving them a call. Hopefully it's not already full.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Certainly Stratford would be cheaper than Central London.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:12 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:There's a Premier Inn at the shopping centre at Stratford, which is next door to the QE park. We used it just after the Paralympics. Not sure how far in advance you can book, but may be worth giving them a call. Hopefully it's not already full.
Will give that a try. Not made a good fist of organising things.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:43 pm

Random, but I stayed both times at the royal foundation of St Katherine in limehouse. Cheap as chips, good breakfast and comfortable place to stay. It has secure parking which is important and you can keep the bike in your room. It's 15 mins ride to the start and 20 mins back from the finish. It gets taken over by cyclists for the weekend.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Got out on the road bike again yesterday, enjoyed it more than my first effort. Going to have to risk the clippy pedal things soon. Expect to fall off sideways at various traffic lights.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:08 pm

jimbo wrote:Random, but I stayed both times at the royal foundation of St Katherine in limehouse. Cheap as chips, good breakfast and comfortable place to stay. It has secure parking which is important and you can keep the bike in your room. It's 15 mins ride to the start and 20 mins back from the finish. It gets taken over by cyclists for the weekend.
Fell off the first time I used them, at the junction where Ainsworth Arms is. Thankfully, it was early in the morning, not many cars around or people to see me do it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:09 pm

Only one way to find out!
Are they easy to get used to?

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
jimbo wrote:Random, but I stayed both times at the royal foundation of St Katherine in limehouse. Cheap as chips, good breakfast and comfortable place to stay. It has secure parking which is important and you can keep the bike in your room. It's 15 mins ride to the start and 20 mins back from the finish. It gets taken over by cyclists for the weekend.
Fell off the first time I used them, at the junction where Ainsworth Arms is. Thankfully, it was early in the morning, not many cars around or people to see me do it.
Piece of cake now.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:There's a Premier Inn at the shopping centre at Stratford, which is next door to the QE park. We used it just after the Paralympics. Not sure how far in advance you can book, but may be worth giving them a call. Hopefully it's not already full.
There's also a Travelodge lower down that has all you need. A two minute walk into Stratford and eat at 'The Eddie' (King Edward VII) a superb gastro pub with a very decent selection of ale. My best find EVER (Well, my best find when I'm working at the Excel Centre anyway) ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
There's also a Travelodge lower down that has all you need. A two minute walk into Stratford and eat at 'The Eddie' (King Edward VII) a superb gastro pub with a very decent selection of ale. My best find EVER (Well, my best find when I'm working at the Excel Centre anyway) ;)
Will give that a try as well.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:15 pm

Can't recommend the place I stayed highly enough. Ticks all the boxes for location and the fact it has a secure car park and lets you keep the bike in your room which is important for last minute servicing bits. It's also close 5 mins from the Excel arena where you have to sign on the day before.

In terms of the day itself, I'm not sure what standard you are but make sure you get plenty of experience riding in groups before you do it. I've never seen as many crashes as this year. The first 30 miles until we were through Richmond Park were crazy. The roads are full with fast moving groups all over the road. It only takes one idiot to bring a few down. I saw people listening to headphones and taking selfies as they were riding along. Being confident with so many around you is important.

As for the route itself, it's pretty flat and easy, and a really fast run. It's great fun riding round London on closed roads - when else would you get the opportunity to do it? Great feeling as you swing left onto the mall to finish.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:18 pm

That was me doing the first one in 2013

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for the advice. Had a look at the place you mentioned, but booked up. May have to go with Travelodge/Premier Inn next to the Excel.

Will be getting out on club rides in the build up to it, so group riding will be ok.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:47 pm

Jimbo, quick question. Once you've finished, how to you then get around/back to your hotel?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Got out on the road bike again yesterday, enjoyed it more than my first effort. Going to have to risk the clippy pedal things soon. Expect to fall off sideways at various traffic lights.
Ha ha thats next summers task for me now, having purchased a rather sexy cannondale in the evans warehouse clearance sale.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:55 pm

Best way to get back to wherever you're staying is to ride. Same as getting to the start. The area around the finish is packed so finding any transport or arranging for someone to meet you to bring you home is a nightmare. Better to ride the 5 miles or so back to base. It has the added benefit of loosening the legs off a little as well.