Dogs are wonderful

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Dogs are wonderful

Post by Dujon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 am

I've never owned a dog other than part of a family whose patriarch owned a few over the years.

A late friend of mine though ran a registered kennel as a side-line. He and his wife bred the little westie terriers, some sort of sheep dog - the breed of which I cannot remember - and Bernese Mountain dogs. When they were spruced up for the shows (it seems that that's what kennels need to do) they all looked quite different from their day-to-day appearance.

My favourite was the Bernese Mountain dog bitch. She was beautiful when in mufti and as placid as a lamb. They are not small dogs. I told Geoff on a couple of occasions that if he had to let her go for any reason I'd take her off his hands. Of course that never happened. These days I don't think I'd be able to keep up with one. Every now and then the bitch of which I speak would 'escape' and disappear for an hour or six. Often she'd return home with a prize between her jaws. That trophy was invariably some other dog or cat's food dish; empty of course.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Our Oscar. He's my brother's dog, but I take him for maaahoosive walks. Problem with that is that every time I turn up at Our Kid's, young Oscar thinks I've turned up only to take him on a biggie. Even after 14 miles he still brings sticks for you to throw. He really is an absolute love though and is as daft as you like. Though there really is absolutely no wearing him out.

Is he begging you for sandwich in that picture?! :D
De ja vu?
Ditto ja vu...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:49 pm

I'd love a dog. We always had one in the house when I was growing up. Some great pooches too. Sadly, because Mrs GtE and I work full time we feel it would be unfair to leave a dog indoors all day on it's own. So we have a cat. She doesn't give a shit what we do so long as we're there to feed her and let her in and out of the house when she says so.

To dogs we are family.

To cats we are staff.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:04 pm

I was going to put this in the happy thread but remembered Will had specially created this thread for all things canine.

New years day, we're due to become dog owners again to a rescue border collie, who actually looks quite a lot like Bruces brother's dog above. Nervous and excited about it, particularly with the amount of training, exercise and stimulation he's going to need. If he lives to a standard age of a bc I'm going to have him until I'm 60 :shock:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Border collies are ace - hard work! - but ace!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I was going to put this in the happy thread but remembered Will had specially created this thread for all things canine.

New years day, we're due to become dog owners again to a rescue border collie, who actually looks quite a lot like Bruces brother's dog above. Nervous and excited about it, particularly with the amount of training, exercise and stimulation he's going to need. If he lives to a standard age of a bc I'm going to have him until I'm 60 :shock:
Great news, Harry! Is that one from Bleakholt?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:41 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I was going to put this in the happy thread but remembered Will had specially created this thread for all things canine.

Great news, Harry! Is that one from Bleakholt?
Cheers BP. Not from Bleakholt though, oddly enough. He belongs to a colleague whose husband had recently retired and was planning on spending his days with the dog. Sadly, he's got very ill, very quickly and they can't manage. So still a rescue :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:12 pm

the thing about collies... well - two things..

1) loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong adolescence!
2) too bloody clever by half - so need constant attention and stimulation!

(ok - 3 things)

3) bloody ace dogs!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:39 am

Larry David made a pal at Bolton Abbey...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:10 pm

Someone from a Spaniel club we belong to lost their young pup this week, after he stole a mince pie off the kitchen table. He went into fatal liver failure as a result of the dried fruit. I had no idea, but apparently dried fruit and grapes are incredibly toxic for dogs. Timely reminder given the time of year and festive fare.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:18 pm

^ good advice... keep that stuff where dogs can't steal it.. this is one of the very few fb scare-stories that actually has some truth to it...

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:35 pm

If that's your dog General he is gorgeous.

Still trying to persuade the better half my dog needs a buddy :)
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Someone from a Spaniel club we belong to lost their young pup this week, after he stole a mince pie off the kitchen table. He went into fatal liver failure as a result of the dried fruit. I had no idea, but apparently dried fruit and grapes are incredibly toxic for dogs. Timely reminder given the time of year and festive fare.
After several bollockings from Barbara Woodhouse I actually went on the internet to find out just how much she was exagerating . Crikey, the list of treats and food things dangerous to dogs is huge. Have to take notice of it though.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:58 pm

Yep mine loves carrots though and far better than most treats and good for his teeth, have to be careful as bugger will steal and eat anything
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Someone from a Spaniel club we belong to lost their young pup this week, after he stole a mince pie off the kitchen table. He went into fatal liver failure as a result of the dried fruit. I had no idea, but apparently dried fruit and grapes are incredibly toxic for dogs. Timely reminder given the time of year and festive fare.
What to do immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten grapes, fresh or dry.
Diagnosing and treating grape or raisin poisoning in dogs

Ingesting grapes or raisins, even if symptoms have not begun to prevent themselves, requires urgent veterinary treatment and it is important not to delay seeking help. Waiting to see if symptoms manifest within your dog before calling your vet can make treatment more difficult and decrease your pet’s chances of survival.

When you arrive at the vets with a dog that has eaten or is suspected to have eaten grapes or raisins, your vet will almost certainly induce vomiting in your dog immediately, to remove any remaining undigested raisin or grape matter within the stomach. If your vet is some distance away or advises you to do so over the phone, you may even need to induce vomiting at home, although you should never attempt to do this without speaking to your vet first, and should always do so exactly in line with your vet’s instructions. You vet may also administer activated charcoal to your dog, to absorb any grape or raisin matter that remains in the stomach.

Your vet may perform blood tests on your dog to identify the condition of the kidneys, and administer IV fluid therapy and medications to stimulate urine production.

In some cases where the condition is acute and directly affecting the kidneys, dialysis may be required as well.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
After several bollockings from Barbara Woodhouse I actually went on the internet to find out just how much she was exagerating . Crikey, the list of treats and food things dangerous to dogs is huge. Have to take notice of it though.
Chocolate's another one, but I'm guessing most people know that.

Our beagle's almost died on 2 separate occasions after scoffing full boxes of chocolates she'd found soon after arriving at my parents house at Christmas. They don't think to hide them out of harm's reach and by the time we'd said our hellos and noticed she was wasn't within eyeshot, the chocs were gone. Had to get her to the emergency vets for vomiting to be induced. Very stressful for all of us (and vets are very expensive!).

I wasn't aware of the dried fruit issue. Thanks for the warning.
Hope is what keeps us going.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:23 pm

Always hopeful wrote:

Our beagle's almost died on 2 separate occasions after scoffing full boxes of chocolates she'd found soon after arriving at my parents house at Christmas. They don't think to hide them out of harm's reach and by the time we'd said our hellos and noticed she was wasn't within eyeshot, the chocs were gone. Had to get her to the emergency vets for vomiting to be induced. Very stressful for all of us (and vets are very expensive!).

I wasn't aware of the dried fruit issue. Thanks for the warning.
Chocolate's a big problem. Our Cadbury ( he's called Alfie really) loves it and can smell it through brick walls. Got to the stage where we have to hide it and not eat it when he's anywhere near. Got to be cruel to be kind and also very careful because he makes the Artful Dodger look like an amateur at thieving.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:32 pm

it's a generally good rule of thumb that dogs are better off with dog food and/or meat/vegetables and not stuff that humans would consider to be a "treat".

tens of thousands of massively fat waddling dogs with foreshortened lives are testament to this...

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:17 pm

thebish wrote:it's a generally good rule of thumb that dogs are better off with dog food and/or meat/vegetables and not stuff that humans would consider to be a "treat".

tens of thousands of massively fat waddling dogs with foreshortened lives are testament to this...
Well, not doing the humans much good either...

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Raven wrote:If that's your dog General he is gorgeous.

Still trying to persuade the better half my dog needs a buddy :)
Sure is ( the one on the left) and he's an ace dog too tbf. So chilled out and relaxed at home but goes off like a maniac on walks. Can spend hours lobbing logs heavier than he is down steep bankings and he'll keep dragging them back up! Great fun and lovely temperament. but of a schizophrenic when it comes to cats or birds or rodents tho! Will not bat an eyelid while the baby mauls him but goes mental if there's a squirrel outside!