Dogs are wonderful

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dogs are wonderful

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:05 am

Bijou Bob wrote:
Prufrock wrote:What do people think of Westies? Moving in with the girlf in Feb and looking for a city dog from about summer. They seem perfect from what I've seen but wondered if anyone had first hand.
Not firsthand Pru, but a friend of.mine had one for 16 years. Lovely dog and very sociable. He reckoned some can be highly strung, so it's probably important to find a decent, experienced breeder. I presume you both work full time? If you're going to leave it for 8 hours or longer every day, personally I'd consider two, it could be incredibly stressful for a lone dog.
Pru and a gf moving in together? Could be stressful for more than the dog. Someone told me Pru only wants a dog for something to blame when he inadvertently drops a silent but deadly.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:46 am

Prufrock wrote:What do people think of Westies? Moving in with the girlf in Feb and looking for a city dog from about summer. They seem perfect from what I've seen but wondered if anyone had first hand.
how long will the dog be left on its own during the day?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:46 am

Bijou Bob wrote:
Not firsthand Pru, but a friend of.mine had one for 16 years. Lovely dog and very sociable. He reckoned some can be highly strung, so it's probably important to find a decent, experienced breeder. I presume you both work full time? If you're going to leave it for 8 hours or longer every day, personally I'd consider two, it could be incredibly stressful for a lone dog.
Cheers Bob (and others).

Girlf will be working silly hours during the week. At first I'll probably be around but long term there are going to be days where neither of us would be there for long periods. Getting two rather than one is an option but I'd still feel guilty leaving them for 8-10 hours a day. However, a friend was telling me about an App where dog owners are matched to nearby people who like dogs but for whatever reason don't have one (partner's allergies/ don't want the commitment/ cost etc) and who come around during the day and take them for walks/ visit them. Would have to see if that was suitable because our likely work commitments would make it too unfair otherwise I think.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Don't take this wrongly Pru, but I really wouldn't bother with a dog at this stage. It wouldn't be fair on it. They (especially pups) need lots of attention, playing with ( to the extent of being a perfect pest at times), and, most of all, regular exercise. . Wife wanted a Shi-htzu for ages but waited till we both retired before getting it. With both of you at work it would just get bored and confused.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:19 pm

I learned yesterday that the collective noun for pugs is a Grumble. Just thought I'd share that with you.
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I learned yesterday that the collective noun for pugs is a Grumble. Just thought I'd share that with you.
There's a feckin load of of pugs on this website...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:
Cheers Bob (and others).

Girlf will be working silly hours during the week. At first I'll probably be around but long term there are going to be days where neither of us would be there for long periods. Getting two rather than one is an option but I'd still feel guilty leaving them for 8-10 hours a day. However, a friend was telling me about an App where dog owners are matched to nearby people who like dogs but for whatever reason don't have one (partner's allergies/ don't want the commitment/ cost etc) and who come around during the day and take them for walks/ visit them. Would have to see if that was suitable because our likely work commitments would make it too unfair otherwise I think.
Let's talk about this offline and I'll tell you about the collage of arrangements that we make for ours.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:29 pm

A grumble of pugs
A worry of Chihuahuas
A streak of greyhounds
A herd of collies
A bar of St Bernards
A bounce of Springer Spaniels
A wag of Golden Retrievers
A Winston of bulldogs
A barn of Irish Wolfhounds
A nancy of Yorkshire Terriers
A zoo of Jack Russells
and An argument of Pit Bull Terriers
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:03 pm

A challenge of Beagles.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:A grumble of pugs
A worry of Chihuahuas
A streak of greyhounds
A herd of collies
A bar of St Bernards
A Winston of bulldogs
A zoo of Jack Russells
Nearly 50 years ago when I worked in reference there was a book (dictionary) of collective nouns. It was called An Exaltation of Larks. No idea if it has been updated. I suspect some of the above are whimsical inventions that do not enjoy general usage....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:34 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:A grumble of pugs
A worry of Chihuahuas
A streak of greyhounds
A herd of collies
A bar of St Bernards
A Winston of bulldogs
A zoo of Jack Russells
Nearly 50 years ago when I worked in reference there was a book (dictionary) of collective nouns. It was called An Exaltation of Larks. No idea if it has been updated. I suspect some of the above are whimsical inventions that do not enjoy general usage....
Of a bored Spotto. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:19 pm

My boy is bandaged up at the moment, They have a pad behind the wrist on their front paws and he has sliced it open somehow. I've been keeping it clean and re dressing it regularly, hope it doesn't get infected. Don't fancy a trip to the vets.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:58 am

I miss having a dog :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:16 am

here's ma girl - she's not that keen on the cold!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:25 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Nearly 50 years ago when I worked in reference there was a book (dictionary) of collective nouns. It was called An Exaltation of Larks. No idea if it has been updated. I suspect some of the above are whimsical inventions that do not enjoy general usage....

Well you've just very publicly ruined my-interesting-fact-that-hardly-anyone-else-in-the-pub-knew. I hope you're happy.

We might as well let a murmuration of Starlings out of the bag now that its all in the open.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Oh dear anal glands again and this time with a vengeance, dear god the smell, followed by the squirts and wind.......the smell was unbearable, all ok now but dear god eyes did water and gagging was in order! There isn't a smell like it imagine a cross between rotten fish, rotten eggs, ammonia and runny poo its the closest I can think of, have been on many sewage works and they don't come close

Still would not swap him for the world
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:14 pm

2 weeks in our new pooch has settled in well. No anal gland problems yet thankfully but a wind problem that can make your eyes water!! Went to our first ever clicker training session tonight. Really impressed with how easy it was and how quickly the dog picked it up
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:2 weeks in our new pooch has settled in well. No anal gland problems yet thankfully but a wind problem that can make your eyes water!! Went to our first ever clicker training session tonight. Really impressed with how easy it was and how quickly the dog picked it up
I've been around dogs for every single one of my 50yrs of life - and never once come across any bother with a dog's "anal gland(s)"... the first time I heard the concept was from a ditzy dog-groomer on the telly who (for reasons best known to herself) insisted that as part of some grooming process they had to be squeezed....

what the jigger is this all about???

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:23 pm

^ our last one had it on occasion and I can vouch for what Raven says. It smells horrendous. A common misconception when a dog 'scoots' is that it may be worms. It's usually full glands that need emptying. Some groomers do it, and the odd adventurous owner but I always left it to the vet
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:35 pm

^^

Our fella broke his leg when just a pup and spent some months unable to be trained in much apart from toileting. He still can't come downstairs, despite the attentions of a trainer and even cheese
treats which he normally crawls over broken glass for. He then, when eventually his leg was sorted, proceeded to train us in his daily needs of two walks per day, several game sessions, eating and sleeping and generally being a bossy little so and so. We are now fully trained to his requirements. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?