podcast recommendations

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: podcast recommendations

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:39 am

Serial has been getting rave reviews. Going to DL tonight i think. Synopsis makes it sounds a bit like The Killing or something.

http://serialpodcast.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:08 pm

http://serialpodcast.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm currently listening to this one. Not sure where it's heading yet. :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:20 pm

Errr I didn't notice Keyser's post above... :oops:

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:http://serialpodcast.org/

My guess is it's the bloke who 'found' the body.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:53 am

Always hopeful wrote:

Should that be on the rumour thread? :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:00 am

Always hopeful wrote:

Having now listened to all the podcasts, I'm not sure (although there's undoubtedly more evidence that would have been presented at trial), whether he's guilty. I don't think I've seen enough to say I'd be beyond reasonable doubt, I'm not even sure I could say "he probably did it" with the bar set at 50:50. His own story doesn't seem to help, and I think there are others that have way too much to hide (although I'm not sure there's enough to convict them of much either). :-)

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

Having now listened to all the podcasts, I'm not sure (although there's undoubtedly more evidence that would have been presented at trial), whether he's guilty. I don't think I've seen enough to say I'd be beyond reasonable doubt, I'm not even sure I could say "he probably did it" with the bar set at 50:50. His own story doesn't seem to help, and I think there are others that have way too much to hide (although I'm not sure there's enough to convict them of much either). :-)
I've not had chance to listen to this week's yet, but from what I heard until then, I'd agree with you in that there's certainly sufficient evidence that wasn't given enough consideration at the time, that suggests the verdict was wrong. I don't understand Adnan's ambivalence towards the verdict. He seems to be underwhelmed at the fact that the reporter's uncovering evidence that could overturn the verdict. Very strange.

Oh, and by the way, having given it a bit more thought, I'm pretty sure now that the bloke who found the body isn't the murderer. It'll be interesting to see who tipped him off about the location of the body.

Good stuff this. Thoroughly enjoying the podcast.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:32 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

I've not had chance to listen to this week's yet, but from what I heard until then, I'd agree with you in that there's certainly sufficient evidence that wasn't given enough consideration at the time, that suggests the verdict was wrong. I don't understand Adnan's ambivalence towards the verdict. He seems to be underwhelmed at the fact that the reporter's uncovering evidence that could overturn the verdict. Very strange.

Oh, and by the way, having given it a bit more thought, I'm pretty sure now that the bloke who found the body isn't the murderer. It'll be interesting to see who tipped him off about the location of the body.

Good stuff this. Thoroughly enjoying the podcast.
Aye - I don't buy the "I was caught short and bursting for a pee" line...3 minutes away from the house he'd just left and 3 minutes away from work, just happens to amble into the right spot, where someone (the coroner?) who knew there was a body somewhere round there, couldn't see it when stood nearly on top of it...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:10 am

Having now listened to the final EP of Serial, I don't think I've moved on much from around EP6 or so. I don't think the guy in prison helps himself much. If that's all the prosecution came up with, I couldn't have said he did it without reasonable doubt, nor even 51% balance of probability.

Mind you, I sure as hell couldn't say he didn't do it either. Jay and Jenn don't come across as credible either and they seem to be covering something (although not necessarily dirdctly related to the murder - could be drugs relared etc.).

The lack of memory about things like where and on what day you dumped clothes that had been used when "helping bury a body" is bizarre.

Enjoyed the podcast, even though it doesn't have an ending that "resolves" everything for the listener.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Having now listened to the final EP of Serial, I don't think I've moved on much from around EP6 or so. I don't think the guy in prison helps himself much. If that's all the prosecution came up with, I couldn't have said he did it without reasonable doubt, nor even 51% balance of probability.

Mind you, I sure as hell couldn't say he didn't do it either. Jay and Jenn don't come across as credible either and they seem to be covering something (although not necessarily dirdctly related to the murder - could be drugs relared etc.).

The lack of memory about things like where and on what day you dumped clothes that had been used when "helping bury a body" is bizarre.

Enjoyed the podcast, even though it doesn't have an ending that "resolves" everything for the listener.
Agreed. Whilst I enjoyed it overall, it became a little tedious in recent weeks. Pity there was no resolution. Looks like it might be that the character introduced in the last episode might be the culprit. Be interesting to see the result of the DNA test. I wouldn't be surprised if the came up negative and the whole case remains unsolved.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:27 pm

ahhh - now I realise what you are all talking about! the missus has been listening to this over her pc speakers - and it's fecking annoying!!

it took me several weeks to work out that they were talking about some kind of a suspect called Adnan rather then "a nun"...

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:54 pm

I just made a choice to start a PODCAST now and next Year!!! WEEKLY!!!

Containing Wrestling Headlines/ Music/ my day to day life and uhhhhh that's it!!!

bish if you would like a link to them when I make it I will pm it to you!!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Always hopeful wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Having now listened to the final EP of Serial, I don't think I've moved on much from around EP6 or so. I don't think the guy in prison helps himself much. If that's all the prosecution came up with, I couldn't have said he did it without reasonable doubt, nor even 51% balance of probability.

Agreed. Whilst I enjoyed it overall, it became a little tedious in recent weeks. Pity there was no resolution. Looks like it might be that the character introduced in the last episode might be the culprit. Be interesting to see the result of the DNA test. I wouldn't be surprised if the came up negative and the whole case remains unsolved.
Well he now has leave to Appeal, to see if he can get an Appeal...hearing set for June.

The more I saw and the more I read, the more convinced I became that juries in the US haven't got the foggiest notion what's going on and treat it like celebrity x factor (coming soon to a TV near you) and vote for the person who speaks the pleasantest and can juggle. How anyone could convict on what the Prosecution presented is beyond me. I still have no notion whether he did or didn't do it. I still have no notion whether anyone else connected with the case did or didn't do it, but I can't see how anyone with an IQ high enough to light a 10W bulb for 15 seconds could say beyond reasonable doubt that he did do it, from what was presented.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:55 am

I guess it's not technically a podcast, but this is a great interview http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05417lh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Bizarrely enough, I'm still following Season 1 of Serial which has just come back to Baltimore court. My ghast would be flabbered if there wasn't a re-trial. I don't think US law is on the side of a re-trial as the burden of proof is now with Syed. He's got to prove that there's grounds for a re-trial - so pretty much that the original defence was incompetent and missed a key alibi witness (despite knowing they were there). But really - how this guy was convicted in the first place is just a constant source of wonderment to me. It was a jury trial and I'm stunned that there were 12 people living in Baltimore that were convinced by the State's evidence.

Might be another long wait until the judge delivers his judgement...