Blackpool - The Northern Riviera

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Re: Blackpool - The Northern Riviera

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:52 am

General Mannerheim wrote:see, i appreciate is a desolte depraved shithole, but for some reason dont really mind it (in very small doses)
Are but is it as deprived as Burnlah? this would seem to suggest so:

http://geographyblog.eu/wp/wp-content/u ... -areas.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

admittedly it's 4 years out of date.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:44 am

Blackpool, like many seaside towns found their hotels struggling due to the growth in foreign holidays. Though some of these maintained a'healthy' day trip and later a hen/stag party culture. The result was twofold ... casual, often cash in hand labour and DSS supported use of lodgings. This creates its own spiral and so many, many people were attracted there who it's probably fair to say we're not the most desirable.

You find this in former holiday destinations countrywide. Some, Llandudno and Scarborough come to mind haveamaintained a reserved air of gentility. Southport did for a long time but is looking increasingly on the edge. Rhyl, Southend, Blackpool lost all pretence though Blackpool adapted it's offerings more successfully than the others. What is left is not edifying but it does "do what it does" very well I guess. Behind the facade there is terrible social deprivation and a gathering of ne'er do wells. Social and drug problems abound.

Where is it that Bijou lives ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:And there ended Tango's love affair with ships. Well, sort of...
Nah, next three years we more than made up for it by going Liverpool to Belfast on the Irish aqua rollercoaster. Even the captain was hanging over the side one trip. "Are we having fun yet dad?" :vomit:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Post by bwfcdan94 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:10 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Blackpool, like many seaside towns found their hotels struggling due to the growth in foreign holidays. Though some of these maintained a'healthy' day trip and later a hen/stag party culture. The result was twofold ... casual, often cash in hand labour and DSS supported use of lodgings. This creates its own spiral and so many, many people were attracted there who it's probably fair to say we're not the most desirable.

You find this in former holiday destinations countrywide. Some, Llandudno and Scarborough come to mind haveamaintained a reserved air of gentility. Southport did for a long time but is looking increasingly on the edge. Rhyl, Southend, Blackpool lost all pretence though Blackpool adapted it's offerings more successfully than the others. What is left is not edifying but it does "do what it does" very well I guess. Behind the facade there is terrible social deprivation and a gathering of ne'er do wells. Social and drug problems abound.

Where is it that Bijou lives ??
Don't forget Clacton on your list of deprived seaside towns.
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:20 pm

I've mentioned this before, I'm sure, but a friend of a friend, an absolutely fascinating guy who I had the pleasure of meeting, wrote a book about the demise of Morecambe entitled The Lost Resort?: The Flow and Ebb of Morecambe. Second hand copies are now changing hands for a minimum of £25 whilst a newbie will set you back £140 :shock:

I should've bought one years back before they became a collector's item. I imagine that it's an extremely good and painstakingly detailed read.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:20 pm

Shithole isn't strong enough for blackpool.