Windies Cricket

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Windies Cricket

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 04, 2015 10:53 am

Had to laugh at the Sun's outrage at us losing a cricket match. Sack the coach, get rid of .x.x etc. So we lost one, won one and drew one, pretty normal fare if you take away our God-given right to win everything. Trott's had his day, so why pick him? If we played them again today either side may win, that's life.

As for the Sun, such observant reporters that in their desire to be experts they can't even.tell a right hand from a left in a boxing match. Get on with it, the world hasn't stopped.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 04, 2015 11:16 pm

Trott has now retired from Test cricket.

I don't agree with your "God given right" to win sentiment Tango - you would expect, more often than not, that Chelsea beat Hartlepool (just as you might have been surprised if Pacquaio had beaten Mayweather in a two horse race.) Part of the problem is, that the rankings tail the form by a couple of years. England were probably the number one team in the world 2 years before they hit the number one spot, and weren't the top team in the world for very long when they did hit the number one spot.

That said, West Indies cricket is in absolute disarray. It's not just about eleven v eleven, a good eleven should always beat a poor eleven. What it's shown us (unless something dramatic happens), is there's an eleven waiting round the corner for us who might just whitewash us again, but using your analogy the other way around, it should be two each and a draw, because in any given game all things are equal.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue May 05, 2015 12:04 am

Worthy4England wrote:Trott has now retired from Test cricket.

I don't agree with your "God given right" to win sentiment Tango - you would expect, more often than not, that Chelsea beat Hartlepool (just as you might have been surprised if Pacquaio had beaten Mayweather in a two horse race.) Part of the problem is, that the rankings tail the form by a couple of years. England were probably the number one team in the world 2 years before they hit the number one spot, and weren't the top team in the world for very long when they did hit the number one spot.

That said, West Indies cricket is in absolute disarray. It's not just about eleven v eleven, a good eleven should always beat a poor eleven. What it's shown us (unless something dramatic happens), is there's an eleven waiting round the corner for us who might just whitewash us again, but using your analogy the other way around, it should be two each and a draw, because in any given game all things are equal.
I think Tango was talking about the Sun's 'God given right' sentiment, not his own.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 05, 2015 12:08 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Trott has now retired from Test cricket.

I think Tango was talking about the Sun's 'God given right' sentiment, not his own.
I was Monty..... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 05, 2015 12:40 am

I know. I was disagreeing with Tango, and suggesting some games you should think you're going to win. I understand the sentiment that when you cross the whitewash, it's 11 v 11. The doesn't equate to some sort of "equal" equation in many instances. We should have had enough in the locker to beat a West Indies in disarray.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 05, 2015 9:11 am

Worthy4England wrote:I know. I was disagreeing with Tango, and suggesting some games you should think you're going to win. I understand the sentiment that when you cross the whitewash, it's 11 v 11. The doesn't equate to some sort of "equal" equation in many instances. We should have had enough in the locker to beat a West Indies in disarray.

indeed.. it is perfectly reasonable - even if it IS the SUN!!! - to have expected England to beat the Windies. Just because both have the same number of players does not mean that the chances of a win for either are 50-50.

now... time to bed Lyth in?? we've hardly left him that much bedding-in time before the ashes... some might say we should have given him the third test against the Windies as a start...

still - it'll be all change now Strauss is in the fold, won't it? errr....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 12, 2015 11:36 pm

I'll lob this on here, rather than start a fresh thread, but what a fcking shambles the ECB have been over the last few weeks. In comes Colin Graves who gobbed off about the West Indies, before we drew with them (I happen to agree with the sentiment, but no point in publically encouraging them), then he seemed to sack Peter Moore's via the press, whilst the guy was out at a match and to cap it all, he clearly and publically offered KP a possible way back (which I know isn't an absolute promise), only to then appoint Brocket, who firmly shut the door. Oh and there's the 4 day / 105 overs per day tests.

I think we should have beaten the West Indies and don't think Brocket's a bad appointment necessarily, but I think that Graves is very rapidly becoming a complete liability.

What a shambles.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed May 13, 2015 10:13 am

and - today - Pieterson gobs off at everyone and anyone on twitter - kinda proving the some of the very points that people make against him! ;-)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 14, 2015 1:30 am

thebish wrote:and - today - Pieterson gobs off at everyone and anyone on twitter - kinda proving the some of the very points that people make against him! ;-)
True, but it's got to the point now where I actually think he's got a point. This is hard to admit, as he is the sportsman i most despise in the whole wide world.
That's how appalling the ECB are right now.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 14, 2015 9:16 am

LeverEnd wrote:
thebish wrote:and - today - Pieterson gobs off at everyone and anyone on twitter - kinda proving the some of the very points that people make against him! ;-)
True, but it's got to the point now where I actually think he's got a point. This is hard to admit, as he is the sportsman i most despise in the whole wide world.
That's how appalling the ECB are right now.
don't limit yourself so! there is enough despisement to go around! despise them all! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu May 14, 2015 6:43 pm

^^^ "this" a the kids say.

Pieterson is an go simply looking for somewhere to explode.

Catch-22 stuff this & he'd just proven how right Strauss was.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Thu May 14, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 14, 2015 9:33 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
^^^ "this" a th kids say.

Catch-22 stuff this & he'd just proven how right Strass was.
Yeah. Why the feck would we entertain someone that's just knocked 300? Maybe he get's to call the tune?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu May 14, 2015 10:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
^^^ "this" a th kids say.

Catch-22 stuff this & he'd just proven how right Strass was.
Why the feck would we entertain someone that's just knocked 300?
Perhaps because, to quote Andy Zaltzman, he's a Cricketer of Unbelievable Natural Talent.