What's the point of Scrums in Rugby league!!!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

What's the point of Scrums in Rugby league!!!

Post by wigan white » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:26 am

Went to watch Wigan vs Huddersfield last night and was completely shocked at how pointless scrums have become. When I used to play the ball had to pass infront of the nearside prop and it as the hooker who pulled it back and the scrum as a whole was fairly competitively challenged. last night however, half the scrum didnt even "get down" and the scrum half just put the ball through at a 45 degree angle straight through the nearside props legs and straight to the loose forward (who happened to be the fullback as the loose forward was in the lilne ready to break, but thats another matter :conf: ). What the feck has happened to my second favourite sport............its a feckin joke.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: What's the point of Scrums in Rugby league!!!

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:56 am

I noticed that on TV at the weekend. They've long been dubious but that was ridiculous.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:02 pm

you could say the same for rugby union at the moment...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:39 pm

thebish wrote:you could say the same for rugby union at the moment...
I'd have agreed till I actually SAW RL's last week.

Takes it to another level.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:23 pm

What's the point of rugby league???!!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:34 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:What's the point of rugby league???!!
Behave yourself! :whack:
May the bridges I burn light your way

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:37 pm

wigan white wrote:Went to watch Wigan vs Huddersfield last night and was completely shocked at how pointless scrums have become. When I used to play the ball had to pass infront of the nearside prop and it as the hooker who pulled it back and the scrum as a whole was fairly competitively challenged. last night however, half the scrum didnt even "get down" and the scrum half just put the ball through at a 45 degree angle straight through the nearside props legs and straight to the loose forward (who happened to be the fullback as the loose forward was in the lilne ready to break, but thats another matter :conf: ). What the feck has happened to my second favourite sport............its a feckin joke.
Ignoring the negatives, which I agree with you. A RL scrum is a method of restarting which ties all the forwards into one place and therefore creates more space for the backs to exploit. Hence why both sides disengage quickly to get involved in the open play.

I once chatted to a mate of Terry O'Connor, who's name escapes me but used to play for Salford.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Believe in leigh :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:38 pm

jaffka wrote:
That'll be Liegh I think.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:41 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
jaffka wrote:
That'll be Liegh I think.
Oh yes!

I'm itk with you this one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:54 pm

jaffka wrote:
wigan white wrote:Went to watch Wigan vs Huddersfield last night and was completely shocked at how pointless scrums have become. When I used to play the ball had to pass infront of the nearside prop and it as the hooker who pulled it back and the scrum as a whole was fairly competitively challenged. last night however, half the scrum didnt even "get down" and the scrum half just put the ball through at a 45 degree angle straight through the nearside props legs and straight to the loose forward (who happened to be the fullback as the loose forward was in the lilne ready to break, but thats another matter :conf: ). What the feck has happened to my second favourite sport............its a feckin joke.
Ignoring the negatives, which I agree with you. A RL scrum is a method of restarting which ties all the forwards into one place and therefore creates more space for the backs to exploit. Hence why both sides disengage quickly to get involved in the open play.

I once chatted to a mate of Terry O'Connor, who's name escapes me but used to play for Salford.
....Is the correct answer...I think when it started out, there used to be big hulking brutes in the forrards and small people with Brylcreem in the backs, so they needed some space for the backs to operate, before some big bstrd hit them. Nowadays, some of the backs are bigger than the bloody forwards.

Whilst the scrums at Union are possibly becoming more one-sided, there's still the odd one goes against the head and feed, and they're much more likely to keep the ball in tight formation at the back of the scrum and roll/drive it, than RL.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:05 am

I couldn't agree with you more, WW. As far as I know the rules of the game have not changed in regard to scrums but the referees seem to overlook any and all infractions - even feeding the ball into the second row! The subject raises its head occasionally in the sporting press but has been a non-event for a while now. The art of controlling a scrum, as seen in Union, and pushing the opposition off the ball seems to have been lost to League. Who can forget teams, particularly the All Blacks, turning a scrum to the point of collapse to gain a penalty or, even better, catching the opposition off guard and walking the scrum over the try line. Powerful stuff.
As to your question my answer would be to police the rules or come up with an alternative. A Union like line out? A tap kick to the side that otherwise would have had the feed?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:29 am

^^ the tap kick would seem most logical and achieve the same end with a tad more honesty.

The scrum in League is dead. It has never, in my time, been used anything like in Union and God protect us from the ludicrous sight of Union's line-outs. The day they allowed balletic 'lifting' all sense went out of the window.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:32 pm

jaffka wrote:
I detest it so much, I once turned down 5 hours overtime at double time so I didn't have to endure Wiggin v Australia. It's just stop/start, repeat. Feck me, I'd sooner watch paint dry. Seriously.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:23 am

Well its certainly not for everyone.

Anyway Hull KR beat Leigh earlier on.