Rugby World Cup 2015

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2015

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:03 pm

Think we've done well to keep them upfield because they look dangerous on the break with their fast men. Bit of good fortune or it could have been 18-15 instead of 18-8. Fair few handling slip ups by both sides.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Not a good performance so far. Need to pick it up last 20.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:37 pm

thebish wrote:opening games can be notoriously tricky, but...

wtf happened to the idea that a hooker actually fecking hooks the ball back to the number 8 - hold it there while you decide what to do rather than just let the scrum meander back and forth and round about a stationary ball!! that's why a hooker is called a fecking hooker!!!
And for how long have they been turning a blind eye to a crooked feed? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:43 pm

Fiji have turned us over 10 times with 70mins on the clock.

Mike brown is ace!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:44 pm

C'mon lads - one more try...

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:01 pm

We left that late :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:02 pm

feckadoodledandy!! talk about leaving it until after the last minute!!

GET IN!!!

PLENTY to work on - but we avoided one of those famous first-game upsets and did the job... 5 points - in the bag...

no point peaking too soon! :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:04 pm

Sounds weird when you've won 35-11, but that was very poor from England. Too much loose play, too many turn-overs. Losing a scrum on our own line for their try and fairly disjointed. Not trying to take anything away from Fiji who battled well and don't look like mugs (how fast is that scrum half?) - but we didn't help ourselves there. They put in 50 more tackles than us, we lost 3 of our own scrums.

Bit like the build-up games, generally not good enough.

Oh and as they're discussing - too much TMO in the game there...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:10 pm

Oosh Billy!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:21 pm

I'll stand correction from the better informed, but I thought we played well considering what sort of game it was. Certainly no classic, I've seen less feet flying in a football match and Fiji are hardly a bunch of altar boys. It was like a John Wayne bar brawl at times. We did really well to stop their momentum on runs because they have a couple of real flyers. Launcebury sp? added some punch for us and Mike Brown, as noted, was great. Robshaw played a captain's game and, well, we got the points and won, so fair do's. Different game against the Aussies and Wales, but I'm sure they'll do what's needed. A good start.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:23 pm

Need to play better than that next time. Thought Billy, Farrell and Burgess made a difference when they came on (though Burgess missed a bad tackle). Brown immense.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:21 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I'll stand correction from the better informed, but I thought we played well considering what sort of game it was. Certainly no classic, I've seen less feet flying in a football match and Fiji are hardly a bunch of altar boys. It was like a John Wayne bar brawl at times. We did really well to stop their momentum on runs because they have a couple of real flyers. Launcebury sp? added some punch for us and Mike Brown, as noted, was great. Robshaw played a captain's game and, well, we got the points and won, so fair do's. Different game against the Aussies and Wales, but I'm sure they'll do what's needed. A good start.

hmmm... i thought we got what can be a tricky opening fixture out of the way and barely did the job. we were poor, though... pretty poor... scrums pretty shoddy until the last 15mins - FARRRRR too many turnovers - FARRRRRR too many handling errors...

plus - I thought - failure to spot that we could have dominated a lot more by being more patient in going through the phases and using the pack more... I thought we might have done that for 20 mins or so after the penalty-try and tired them out - but, no, we span the ball out wide often far too quickly and were shepherded into touch...

but - it's a tournament game - and often in tournaments sides that time their performances to peak in the latter stages are the ones that do well...

we've started worse than this in tournaments before!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:03 am

Play poorly but win with a bonus point, that's the job done.

Frustrating performance with us being to lateral in attack and never drawing the Fijians in, there was a reluctance in the centre to take the ball forward. Brad Barrit was awful.

The scrum is still worrying and needs sorting out asap, this is supposed to be our traditional area of strength.

Hopefully just first night nerves and we can sit back for just short of a week and watch the other sides batter the feck out of each other.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:15 am

jaffka wrote:Play poorly but win with a bonus point, that's the job done.

Frustrating performance with us being to lateral in attack and never drawing the Fijians in, there was a reluctance in the centre to take the ball forward. Brad Barrit was awful.

The scrum is still worrying and needs sorting out asap, this is supposed to be our traditional area of strength.

Hopefully just first night nerves and we can sit back for just short of a week and watch the other sides batter the feck out of each other.
Aye that's where I was with it. I'll take the points, thanks, but a lot to sort out in a week, given they've been together for 12?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:54 am

IS that it ? Or are there a couple of other games to come ?

It's nice to be able to watch a game effectively twice as those nice referees get us to watch replays all the time. Maybe football can learn something from it. Such as not to ever do it.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:06 pm

bobo the clown wrote:IS that it ? Or are there a couple of other games to come ?

It's nice to be able to watch a game efectivtwice as those nice referees get us to watch replays all the time. Maybe football can learn something from it. Such as not to ever do it.
No place for clowns in a Rugby Union thread. Oh and you can take Rioja with you! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:IS that it ? Or are there a couple of other games to come ?

It's nice to be able to watch a game efectivtwice as those nice referees get us to watch replays all the time. Maybe football can learn something from it. Such as not to ever do it.
No place for clowns in a Rugby Union thread. Oh and you can take Rioja with you! :D
Go feck yourself. :fingers:

So anyway, Webb Ellis, you still haven't answered the questions - How come the hooker doesn't hook it out of the scrum anymore and how come crooked feeds are allowed? :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Go feck yourself. :fingers:

So anyway, Webb Ellis, you still haven't answered the questions - How come the hooker doesn't hook it out of the scrum anymore and how come crooked feeds are allowed? :)
Fair enough question. I think they've sort of got it off pat to be honest. Hooker gives signal for put in and push to pack, all 8 shove as the ball's going in, ball goes in straight but by the time it's reached the hooker, about a yard away from scrum half, scrum has travelled two yard forwards. More benefit in hooker pushing than actually hooking it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote: Fair enough question. I think they've sort of got it off pat to be honest. Hooker gives signal for put in and push to pack, all 8 shove as the ball's going in, ball goes in straight but by the time it's reached the hooker, about a yard away from scrum half, scrum has travelled two yard forwards. More benefit in hooker pushing than actually hooking it.

hmmm... unless you don't actually move forward at all and the scrum wheels a bit and their scrum half picks it up and legs it down the line...

I didn't see much evidence of us smoothly driving over the ball at all!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:51 pm

The first surprise was Tonga being beat by Georgia. Ireland pissed past Canada who normally have loads of enthusiasm and aggression.

Currently the bok are making it hard work against Japan, showing that the opening fixture against what ever opposition can be tough.

Tonight will be interesting to see what the French do against an Italian side without their talisman Parrise.