The wonderful EU and Migration thread!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The wonderful EU and Migration thread!

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:06 pm

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I thought this was about the EU and Migrants? And here's you humble three going on about Us and the US!. Hoboh'll have a heart attack... :wink:
In the unfortunate event of such a terrible thing happening - Hoboh could rest assired that he could experince said cardiac incident in any country of the European Economic Area and be assured of state-funded medical treatment! What a glorious thing European Economic cooperation is! 8)
Hoboh never travels anywhere off these shores without suitable insurance.
I'd suggest you try using the NIC in Bulgaria, someone I know did and it wasn't accepted!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:10 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/n ... c-blunders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stick with the EU, we'll be reet! :whack:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Hoboh wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/n ... c-blunders
Stick with the EU, we'll be reet! :whack:
The more interesting thing here is, given that the need for rapid and determined austerity and deficit reduction is a platform the Tories have stood on at the last general election. Will those Tory voters who sit to the right cite such articles as this, in their inevitable argument for leaving Europe? And if so how will they ignore the fact that the very platform their party of choice was elected to, is being called, in essence a load of dangerous bollocks......

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Sign the petition to stop the drownings...

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/greek_fence ... cb&v=67073" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:35 pm

William the White wrote:Sign the petition to stop the drownings...

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/greek_fence ... cb&v=67073" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a Brit with two spare bedrooms I'm not at all comfortable with signing up to something that attempts to tell another country that's struggling to stay afloat what it should do with one of its borders, so I haven't. That said, I watched an item on the BBC World Service when I was away the week before last that featured the plight of a Syrian family living in a dust bowl. Their seven year old daughter's only clothes were the PJ's that she had on. They've served her through the summer, but winter's due, and she'll freeze to death. How anyone could withdraw the hand of kindness, by dint of where we happen to be born, I find, completely and utterly fecking disgusting!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

As a Brit with two spare bedrooms I'm not at all comfortable with signing up to something that attempts to tell another country that's struggling to stay afloat what it should do with one of its borders, so I haven't. That said, I watched an item on the BBC World Service when I was away the week before last that featured the plight of a Syrian family living in a dust bowl. Their seven year old daughter's only clothes were the PJ's that she had on. They've served her through the summer, but winter's due, and she'll freeze to death. How anyone could withdraw the hand of kindness, by dint of where we happen to be born, I find, completely and utterly fecking disgusting!
I'm not sure how Hoboh stands on the hand of kindness... not only stands but stamps on it I expect. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Bruce - look again... and think again... Greece has said it will consider opening the fence and thus stopping the drownings if Turkey and the EU will agree to collaborate - will agree to help Greece, a country in crisis as you rightly say... The whole EU, us included, needs to stop this humanitarian disaster... and, if we have the will, we can do it...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:47 am

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Bruce - look again... and think again... Greece has said it will consider opening the fence and thus stopping the drownings if Turkey and the EU will agree to collaborate - will agree to help Greece, a country in crisis as you rightly say... The whole EU, us included, needs to stop this humanitarian disaster... and, if we have the will, we can do it...
I will, Will. I just think that we should be building bigger tables and more chairs - not higher fences!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:57 am

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/n ... ase-cyprus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On Saturday, unknown members of the group set some of the tents on fire, seen in images passed to the Guardian. Most of the 114 refugees are Syrians but they also include Palestinians and Lebanese.
Hardly grateful refugees are they? Saved from drowning and being fed, watered and provided with medical attention, now burning their tents because they don't want processing into Cyprus, at our cost I might add.
We must ensure we don't stomp on their 'right' to wander all over Europe until they find economic paradise!
Are we really supposed to believe these people are so stupid they don't know what winter is? I wonder what they'd think of a migrant trail being opened via Siberia and Russia?
Despite the rush by some sections of the media to publish pictures of women and Children 75% of them are fit able bodied males, caring loving males who have fcuked off and left their families to fend for themselves.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:23 am

Hoboh wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/n ... ase-cyprus
On Saturday, unknown members of the group set some of the tents on fire, seen in images passed to the Guardian. Most of the 114 refugees are Syrians but they also include Palestinians and Lebanese.
Hardly grateful refugees are they? Saved from drowning and being fed, watered and provided with medical attention, now burning their tents because they don't want processing into Cyprus, at our cost I might add.
We must ensure we don't stomp on their 'right' to wander all over Europe until they find economic paradise!
Are we really supposed to believe these people are so stupid they don't know what winter is? I wonder what they'd think of a migrant trail being opened via Siberia and Russia?
Despite the rush by some sections of the media to publish pictures of women and Children 75% of them are fit able bodied males, caring loving males who have fcuked off and left their families to fend for themselves.
Well, despite you offering no corroboration whatsoever, let's say that it's true. Are you happy for the ones left behind to freeze / starve to death?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/n ... ase-cyprus
Well, despite you offering no corroboration whatsoever, let's say that it's true. Are you happy for the ones left behind to freeze / starve to death?
http://www.ibtimes.com/european-refugee ... rt-2084862" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of the European host countries, Greece takes on most of the arrivals, with 244,855 so far this year, followed by Italy, receiving 115,000. In total, 75 percent of the refugees are reported to be men, 12 percent women and 13 percent children.
https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/conten ... -refugees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And even this article that supports the migrants agrees the vast majority are men.

Yes,I do feel sorry for the people left behind, the women and kids and feel we need to be doing more to support them close to their home, at least when/if things become stable they can then go home.
Finally if the buggers are burning their tents, I wonder just what they'd think if we didn't replace them? It's just like refusing food parcels from the Red Cross. These buggers will stop at nothing to gain sympathy and hopefully a quick route to the EU.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:40 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/616 ... rnment-war" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Perhaps we should sink anything that floats in Libya then? You know risk aversion.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:48 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/616594 ... -wasted-UN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh great! :twisted:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:37 pm

◾Hamburg city officials say that owners of vacant real estate have refused to make their property available to the city on a voluntary basis, and thus the city should be given the right to take it by force.
◾"The proposed confiscation of private land and buildings is a massive attack on the property rights of the citizens of Hamburg. It amounts to an expropriation by the state [and a] "law of intimidation." — André Trepoll, Christian Democratic Union.
◾"If a property is confiscated... a lawsuit to determine the legality of the confiscation can only be resolved after the fact. But the accommodation would succeed in any event." — Tübingen Mayor Boris Palmer.
◾Officials in North Rhine-Westphalia seized a private resort in the town of Olpe to provide housing for up to 400 migrants
◾"I find it impossible to understand how the city can treat me like this. I have struggled through life with grief and sorrow and now I get an eviction notice. It is a like a kick in the stomach." — Bettina Halbey, 51-year-old nurse, after being notified that she must vacate her apartment so that migrants can move in.
◾The landlord is being paid 552 euros ($617) for each migrant he takes in. By cramming as many migrants into his property as possible, he stands to receive payments of more than 2 million euros a year from government.
◾"Considering that migrants cannot afford to rent new properties... moves must be initiated in which higher income households purchase or build more expensive accommodations for themselves in order to free up the less expensive housing for migrants." — The Berlin Institute for Urban Development, the Housing Industry and Loan Associations
◾"I saw an unbelievable situation: the elderly volunteer lifted the table halfway, looked at the migrant and moved his head asking the migrant to lend a hand. The migrant paused for a moment and then just walked away." — Firsthand account, refugee shelter.
This is what the German government wants to export throughout the EU!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:24 pm

Hoboh wrote:
◾Hamburg city officials say that owners of vacant real estate have refused to make their property available to the city on a voluntary basis, and thus the city should be given the right to take it by force.
◾"The proposed confiscation of private land and buildings is a massive attack on the property rights of the citizens of Hamburg. It amounts to an expropriation by the state [and a] "law of intimidation." — André Trepoll, Christian Democratic Union.
◾"If a property is confiscated... a lawsuit to determine the legality of the confiscation can only be resolved after the fact. But the accommodation would succeed in any event." — Tübingen Mayor Boris Palmer.
◾Officials in North Rhine-Westphalia seized a private resort in the town of Olpe to provide housing for up to 400 migrants
◾"I find it impossible to understand how the city can treat me like this. I have struggled through life with grief and sorrow and now I get an eviction notice. It is a like a kick in the stomach." — Bettina Halbey, 51-year-old nurse, after being notified that she must vacate her apartment so that migrants can move in.
◾The landlord is being paid 552 euros ($617) for each migrant he takes in. By cramming as many migrants into his property as possible, he stands to receive payments of more than 2 million euros a year from government.
◾"Considering that migrants cannot afford to rent new properties... moves must be initiated in which higher income households purchase or build more expensive accommodations for themselves in order to free up the less expensive housing for migrants." — The Berlin Institute for Urban Development, the Housing Industry and Loan Associations
◾"I saw an unbelievable situation: the elderly volunteer lifted the table halfway, looked at the migrant and moved his head asking the migrant to lend a hand. The migrant paused for a moment and then just walked away." — Firsthand account, refugee shelter.
Where is the quote from?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:20 pm

William the White wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Where is the quote from?
Well, if it's from a reliable and reputable source then we're taking a minor detour to the Bristol City game via the Town Hall steps!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:38 pm

William the White wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Where is the quote from?
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6583/ ... ts-housing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
William the White wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Where is the quote from?
http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6583/ ... ts-housing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A robust defender of everything on the right. Though, to give hoboh credit - something that I always like to do, he has given me cause for laughter for many years - he frequently refers us to the guardian online also...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:49 pm

Just for William, not a right wing publication I think.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/o ... oor-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Can I just clear one thing up, I am not unsympathetic to the plight of the Syrians I just think we are going completely the wrong way about helping them.