The wonderful EU and Migration thread!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The wonderful EU and Migration thread!

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Stories in Germany early this week/ late last of far right paying some of the refugees to be filmed turning stuff down.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:10 pm

As one commentator said about those spontaneous demonstrations and actions (like matching up motorways) in recent weeks ... "the thing about large spontaneous demonstrations is that they take a lot of organising !"
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:18 am

Hoboh, you'd better not move here, or even visit for that matter - you might suffer from acute anxiety if you do.

Purely as a matter of interest I puddled around some government sites the other day. A couple of the figures I came across surprised even me. Firstly: For the financial year ending 30 June last year the net migration figure was +280,000 (approx.). This was about 9% fewer than the previous year. Australia's population is 23 -24 millions. Secondly: 28% of those millions were not born here. Scary isn't it, Hoboh?

The vast majority of our immigrants try, and generally succeed, to 'fit in' with their new country and its way of living. Some don't, but it's not very many. Certainly we have our share of bad-eggs but (I have no stats) I doubt that it's more - or not very much more - percentage wise than that in the Australian born population.

I cannot speak to the EU problems with refugees as I don't know enough about them, so I'll leave that to you. :smile:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Dujon wrote:Hoboh, you'd better not move here, or even visit for that matter - you might suffer from acute anxiety if you do.

Purely as a matter of interest I puddled around some government sites the other day. A couple of the figures I came across surprised even me. Firstly: For the financial year ending 30 June last year the net migration figure was +280,000 (approx.). This was about 9% fewer than the previous year. Australia's population is 23 -24 millions. Secondly: 28% of those millions were not born here. Scary isn't it, Hoboh?

The vast majority of our immigrants try, and generally succeed, to 'fit in' with their new country and its way of living. Some don't, but it's not very many. Certainly we have our share of bad-eggs but (I have no stats) I doubt that it's more - or not very much more - percentage wise than that in the Australian born population.

I cannot speak to the EU problems with refugees as I don't know enough about them, so I'll leave that to you. :smile:
Only about 20% of our population were not born here, Dujon, but that represnts 6.8 million people. Our net migration percentage is the same as Australia so that would mean about 50% more actual migrants. Not a place for Hoboh either.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:22 pm

And yet only the other day I read an article about Australia locking migrants up in camps in Papua and Nauru and stating that even if the immigrants are recognised as refugees they won't ever be stepping foot on Australian soil. (I think, as is not uncommon on this debate, that refugees, legal immigration and illegal immigration is seriously mixed up in most people's inconsidered opinions.)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Going right back to this Spring as the boats began to be more frequent and the decision was taken to rescue people from them & land them in Lampadusa and Malta the Australian High Commissioner to the UK, who used to be their Foreign Minister (or vice-versa) came on the wireless and said that Europe needed to make its mind up ... & quick.

It either had to block people coming and make it plain that if they did arrive they'd simply be returned to the port they left ... OR .... decide that they would rescue people, bring people to Europe and start giving them status as anything else was crazy.

He added that his & the Australian Govts. view was the former. However it wasn't his place to interfere with Europe's decision making but he did point out that if we were to do the latter then to simply supply liners and ferries as the piecemeal approach of picking hjem up in distress was daft. Also he added that if that was to be the approach then fine but prepare for hundreds and hundreds of thousands, millions even, as it would simply encore people.

Finally he added that what couldn't work was bringing them over then discarding them. That massive numbers would cost masses, be difficult to house, feed, educate and give health services and impossible to integrate. He warned that it would lead to issues between people and between countries.

I think he was right.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:20 pm

Angela decides the gates need closing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -live.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Call me old fashioned but isn't this of her making .... & exactly what Hungary was trying to do ?

The Austrians will be chuffed.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:55 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Angela decides the gates need closing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -live.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Call me old fashioned but isn't this of her making .... & exactly what Hungary was trying to do ?

The Austrians will be chuffed.
Merkel invites migrants and causes some other European countries problems, now Merkel , who has had only a taste of what the next few years will bring, shuts shop and declares it an EU wide problem.
Not many were heading anywhere except to yours Angie!
Mr de Maiziere warned on Sunday that refugees streaming into Europe cannot choose which country they want to settle in, as tens of thousands surged through the continent in search of shelter.

"We can't allow refugees to freely choose where they want to stay - that's not the case anywhere in the world," Thomas de Maiziere told Tagesspiegel newspaper.

"It also can't be our duty to pay benefits laid out in German law to refugees who have been allocated to one EU country and then come to Germany anyway," he added.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Hoboh wrote: Merkel invites migrants and causes some other European countries problems, now Merkel , who has had only a taste of what the next few years will bring, shuts shop and declares it an EU wide problem.
can we quote you on that?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:05 pm

thebish wrote:
Hoboh wrote: Merkel invites migrants and causes some other European countries problems, now Merkel , who has had only a taste of what the next few years will bring, shuts shop and declares it an EU wide problem.
can we quote you on that?
We weren't stupid enough to say everybody in like some!
The 'mob' in Calais still needs to be dispersed.
If a small few in the UK had their way, it could have been us.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:10 pm

just to get this clear... you're saying that actually not that many were heading for the UK after all?

I was under the impression that you had previously said that they all wanted to come here...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:44 pm

thebish wrote:just to get this clear... you're saying that actually not that many were heading for the UK after all?

I was under the impression that you had previously said that they all wanted to come here...
I believe that even being 'fast tracked to EU citizenship' takes time, once the 'German dream' turns sour and they can move under EU rules, then expect a lot of 'Germans' heading here, legally!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:27 pm

Faymann suggested that if no consensus was reached on Monday in Brussels, Germany and its allies could try to force through a vote on quotas with a qualified majority.
He said Austria and Germany – both net contributors to the EU budget – would consider sanctions against countries stubbornly refusing to share the refugee burden. This might include axing some EU structural funds from which “east European states profit most of all”.
The EU are not bullies are they?

The Germans don't dictate do they?

What a laugh, falling apart day by day all this so called EU unity, it's only peace and unity when certain countries get their own way!

P*ssing off so many of the surrounding countries can only earn the Germans the title,

Neighbours from hell.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:41 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Faymann suggested that if no consensus was reached on Monday in Brussels, Germany and its allies could try to force through a vote on quotas with a qualified majority.
He said Austria and Germany – both net contributors to the EU budget – would consider sanctions against countries stubbornly refusing to share the refugee burden. This might include axing some EU structural funds from which “east European states profit most of all”.

What a laugh, falling apart day by day all this so called EU unity, it's only peace and unity when certain countries get their own way!

P*ssing off so many of the surrounding countries can only earn the Germans the title,

Neighbours from hell.
^^ That's politics, not bullying.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Neighbours from hell.
^^ That's politics, not bullying.
So when Russian troops decide to take holidays in the Ukraine, that's politics?

If we aim cruise missiles at Brussels whilst telling them to get to fcuk, would that be politics?

Or are you trying to say withdrawing EU grants to poor Eastern European countries unless they slip under the German jack boot is acceptable policy?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Because not giving you money, and invading you are the same thing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:Because not giving you money, and invading you are the same thing.
I was just trying to draw a parallel, but it kept coming back "does not compute"

It seems fairly straighforwards to me. You're not having all the handouts without sharing some of the burden as some countries will have to support a higher proportion of refugees, because you're not doing.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:33 am

Prufrock wrote:Stories in Germany early this week/ late last of far right paying some of the refugees to be filmed turning stuff down.
Amazing what effects Left Wing propaganda can have on a sensitive matter
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:37 am

Call me racist, call me an insensitive bastard, call me whatever, but I don't want to potentially open our doors to thousands of terrorists because of one heartbreaking photograph of a child from a community of peoples who value their own personal wealth before that of their children's and families welfare
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:32 am

Prufrock wrote:Because not giving you money, and invading you are the same thing.
Some of the poor EU countries are being invaded because of the invite issued by ex Stasi employee Merkel, now she wants to screw them financially if they object!