The "I just don't get it thread".

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The "I just don't get it thread".

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:08 am

Prufrock wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Foreigners assigning a gender to a word. When something new like the internet came along, who decides whether it should be Le internet or La internet?
The Academie Francaise is who! I want that job.

Also, for reasons I've never quite understood, whilst "internet" is masculine (obviously) you hardly ever see it with an article. It's just "internet".

Also, fyi, French for "WiFi" is still "WiFi", but it's pronounced "le wiffy". Always got a giggle from me.

and the welsh for microwave is...

popty ping! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:27 am

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Foreigners assigning a gender to a word. When something new like the internet came along, who decides whether it should be Le internet or La internet?

Also, for reasons I've never quite understood, whilst "internet" is masculine (obviously) you hardly ever see it with an article. It's just "internet".

Also, fyi, French for "WiFi" is still "WiFi", but it's pronounced "le wiffy". Always got a giggle from me.

Indeed it is. "Oven that goes 'ping'.

And for ironing board .... bwrd smoothio.

Makes you so proud.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:46 am

^ and the french for "walkie talkie" is...

talkie walkie! :roll:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:08 am

Ah, but that's nothing when compared to to the legendary line from 20 Pints by the Macc Lads -

"Hey you, you poof, you fecking c*nt,
Get off that pint, it's mine."
May the bridges I burn light your way

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:58 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Indeed it is. "Oven that goes 'ping'.

And for ironing board .... bwrd smoothio.

Makes you so proud.
Ambulance = Ambiwlans

That's just plain lazy that is.
Hope is what keeps us going.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:09 pm

My youngest used to say underbrella, which seemed reasonable to me.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:56 pm

I like the simplicity of some Spanish descriptions. They say "Parasol" ( our sun umbrella) because it means, "for sun". and Paragua (umbrella) because it means "for water" . Simple.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:10 am

TANGODANCER wrote:I like the simplicity of some Spanish descriptions. They say "Parasol" ( our sun umbrella) because it means, "for sun". and Paragua (umbrella) because it means "for water" . Simple.
Isn't it confusing when like, water bottles, taps, sinks, swimming pools etc are all called paragua?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:28 am

TANGODANCER wrote:I like the simplicity of some Spanish descriptions. They say "Parasol" ( our sun umbrella) because it means, "for sun". and Paragua (umbrella) because it means "for water" . Simple.
The para bit comes from the verb parar, to stop. Hence windscreen is parabrisas, literally stop-breeze.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:50 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
The para bit comes from the verb parar, to stop. Hence windscreen is parabrisas, literally stop-breeze.
Actually, L.G.M, I've always known "para" ( in order to) as an altaernative to por , the basic "for". Thus para in the umbrella form actually means in order to combat sun, rain etc. Spanish can be a bit baffling at times because, "Hay un banco por aqui" means "Is there a bank around here?" . You get used to it after a while. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Isn't it confusing when like, water bottles, taps, sinks, swimming pools etc are all called paragua?
Tap..=grifo, sink =lavabo, swimming pool is piscina.... :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:57 pm

I don't understand why people bother to learn Spanish just so that they can do stuff like ordering a table for four in Spanish. If I was a Spanish restaurant owner and four people walked in I reckon that I'd know what they were after whether they spoke the lingo or not. :conf:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
swimming pool is piscina.... :)
a love spanish simplicity: swimming pool = piscina = (literally) "piss in it"

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I don't understand why people bother to learn Spanish just so that they can do stuff like ordering a table for four in Spanish. If I was a Spanish restaurant owner and four people walked in I reckon that I'd know what they were after whether they spoke the lingo or not. :conf:
I once used every Spanish word I know in a cafe on Lanzarote in one sentence! I was pleased as punch.

"Uno vino tinto y dos cafe con leche, por favour."

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:10 pm

I'm not surprised you stopped using it - what a fck up that was. One wine and two coffees? Surely the wrong way round altogether?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:30 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Beefheart wrote:
swimming pool is piscina.... :)
a love spanish simplicity: swimming pool = piscina = (literally) "piss in it"
:D Quite so, except pisar means to tread or step. I'll admit that the first time a saw a sign saying "No pisa a la hieba" ( Don't walk on the grass) I got it totally wrong and had a good laugh.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:32 pm

clapton is god wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I don't understand why people bother to learn Spanish just so that they can do stuff like ordering a table for four in Spanish. If I was a Spanish restaurant owner and four people walked in I reckon that I'd know what they were after whether they spoke the lingo or not. :conf:
I once used every Spanish word I know in a cafe on Lanzarote in one sentence! I was pleased as punch.

Me too - "Dos cerveza por favor". :)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
clapton is god wrote:

Me too - "Dos cerveza por favor". :)
Now that's the right way round - bravo, Brucie! :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:49 pm

I doubt I'll ever get a better laugh at the Spanish language then the two international truckers who came into a cafe in Nerja one morning and ordered "Dos eggos and baconos Manuel" from a bemused waiter. I kid you not. :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:
Actually, L.G.M, I've always known "para" ( in order to) as an altaernative to por , the basic "for". Thus para in the umbrella form actually means in order to combat sun, rain etc. Spanish can be a bit baffling at times because, "Hay un banco por aqui" means "Is there a bank around here?" . You get used to it after a while. :wink:
LGM is correct here - the Spanish and French took it from the Italian and Latin. The sense of the prefix 'para' is 'protection from' - so parachute is protection from falling (chute is French for fall). Parabrisas is protection from wind (in English we use screen as the protecting term). Por is a different root.
Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.