The Floods

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

The Floods

Post by Hoboh » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:39 pm

These two pictures in Mytholmroyd sum up just how severe the water has been, the level of the river rise is startling! :shock:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Floods

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:36 pm

If you look closely you'll see a couple of tree huggers clinging by their fingertips to that shed.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Mytholmroyd's a place I've been in the past. I had relations in Hebden Bridge. Walsden isn't that far away and had some really bad floods about four years back.

We're pretty lucky normally being at the top end of Bradford Road, but all the flags on the paths and patio in our back garden are rocking because there's so much water under them. The lawns are like giant sponges. Daughter was on standby to evacuate down in Ringley last night as all around them is a lake, but it looks like they just got away with it. Front and back doors are sand-bagged. Pretty nervous time and everybody is piling in to help out around Prestolee.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:26 pm

You see the collapsed pub in Summerseat? That was our local for years n years. Went down to see it today, incredible! :(

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: I had relations in Hebden Bridge.
Watched a programme a while ago and I'm sure it was about Hebden Bridge. A reservoir above it breached and all the water followed the path of the river and flooded the place out. I seem to recall that there were some fatalities also,

Just driven past the bottom of Forest Road (near Moss Bank Park) and it's a right old mess. Half the road's collapsded, trees are down the lot. I'm guessing that the row of cottages there have had a dousing too.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: I had relations in Hebden Bridge.
Watched a programme a while ago and I'm sure it was about Hebden Bridge. A reservoir above it breached and all the water followed the path of the river and flooded the place out. I seem to recall that there were some fatalities also,
Yes, it was, it was in 2012. Walsden is getting flash floods again right now.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:07 pm

We're in the Lakes for three days from Wednesday staying at Bowness. Determined to go to support the local economy etc but goodness knows what we're going to find after Storm Fred does it's worse on Wednesday.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:45 pm

clapton is god wrote:We're in the Lakes for three days from Wednesday staying at Bowness. Determined to go to support the local economy etc but goodness knows what we're going to find after Storm Fred does it's worse on Wednesday.
Easy enough to find the high ground there, I suppose... :wink: Still, pretty unpleasant throughout the North West.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
clapton is god wrote:We're in the Lakes for three days from Wednesday staying at Bowness. Determined to go to support the local economy etc but goodness knows what we're going to find after Storm Fred does it's worse on Wednesday.
Easy enough to find the high ground there, I suppose... :wink: Still, pretty unpleasant throughout the North West.
High don't mean dry, especially in the Lakes. I wild camped just below the summit of ScaFell Pike in 2006 and nearly got swept downhill by a sudden torrent which was released when an ice dam gave way.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:36 pm

the train at Dawlish this morning! :D

torquay seafront is blowing a bit of a hooley too... it has now been closed off..

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:07 pm

Frank gives Dawlish Station a good trolloping....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:08 pm

^ obviously photoshopped by southern softies...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:55 pm

^ I'll send a copy of that to the former s-i-l on Shetland to she if she agrees with your "good trolloping" description. I'll mention, in your defence, that you're a Vicar. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:^ I'll send a copy of that to the former s-i-l on Shetland to she if she agrees with your "good trolloping" description. I'll mention, in your defence, that you're a Vicar. ;)
my missus has a friend on shetland (I think we've had this conversation before!) - she keeps us updated on the good trolloping scale! :D