Hong Kong

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Hong Kong

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Anyone lived there previously or presently? There are rumblings that Mrs AT and I may be sent there for a 3 year stint. Not sure if I'm keen or not at the moment. So any insight might help us.

Cheers.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Hong Kong

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Anyone lived there previously or presently? There are rumblings that Mrs AT and I may be sent there for a 3 year stint. Not sure if I'm keen or not at the moment. So any insight might help us.

Cheers.
I have a mate who's lived and raised a family there for the best part of 20 years. They live in Discovery Bay and they love it. If we've no -one on here who's lived there, I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions if you want me to pass some on?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Anyone lived there previously or presently? There are rumblings that Mrs AT and I may be sent there for a 3 year stint. Not sure if I'm keen or not at the moment. So any insight might help us.

Cheers.
I have a mate who's lived and raised a family there for the best part of 20 years. They live in Discovery Bay and they love it. If we've no -one on here who's lived there, I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions if you want me to pass some on?
Thanks HG. I'm just trying to get a feel for what life is like there at the moment. It might not come to pass, but I'd like us to decide if it could be a go or not before being put on the spot. Assuming your mate commutes to Hong Kong Island what is the commute like? Housing and commute are probably the main concerns.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: Assuming your mate commutes to Hong Kong Island what is the commute like? Housing and commute are probably the main concerns.
I think he has quite a long commute iirc. No cars on DB but he has one of the limited golf buggys to get him down to the ferry terminal. They live in a 3 bed apartment mainly surrounded by lazy feck pilots who do about 30 hours a month and get paid shedloads for the privilege!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:31 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: Assuming your mate commutes to Hong Kong Island what is the commute like? Housing and commute are probably the main concerns.
I think he has quite a long commute iirc. No cars on DB but he has one of the limited golf buggys to get him down to the ferry terminal. They live in a 3 bed apartment mainly surrounded by lazy feck pilots who do about 30 hours a month and get paid shedloads for the privilege!
Discovery bay is out in the sticks going off the map. We're more inclined to live further out but really want to minimise any commute. I could see us just going for something in central near the office, but it would mean down sizing even with a substantial housing allowance :(

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:43 pm

I was there for some months back in 1984. But it was still British then, and I'd arrived straight from a three year stint in Japan, so any experiential advice would be redundant, but if you've happily survived int'desert it would be a breeze. Just think, presently you holiday in the Maldives, well Lantau has everything that the Maldives have, so you could 'holiday' every weekend...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:21 pm

I know a bloke, ex forces who spent a lot of time over there said everyone at the tables in the bar had a smile on their faces due to the hospitality of the girls under them! :shock:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:06 pm

Hoboh wrote:I know a bloke, ex forces who spent a lot of time over there said everyone at the tables in the bar had a smile on their faces due to the hospitality of the girls under them! :shock:
Haha! Good old Hoboh, gets to the point!

Enjoy Hong Kong AT! :oyea:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:41 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Hoboh wrote:I know a bloke, ex forces who spent a lot of time over there said everyone at the tables in the bar had a smile on their faces due to the hospitality of the girls under them! :shock:

Nothing definite at the moment, just preparing in case we get asked :)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:41 am

LeverEnd wrote:

Nothing definite at the moment, just preparing in case we get asked :)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:36 pm

You appear to be doubly prepared. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.