Brexit or Britin

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Brexit or Britin

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 am

Hoboh wrote:
Nice one mate, not our problem now.

Well it bloody well would have been if we had remained and don't give me the 'we are not in the Eurozone' nonsense, if the Euro collapsed the EU would and we would be part of the calamity it would cause.
In or out it will be our problem (to a degree). If EU countries have fcuked up economies then they wont be buying stuff in quantity from us, thus affecting our economy.

Now, I know you'll say that we're now going to increase trade elsewhere, but that isn't going to magically happen over night. We've barely enough trade negotiators to deal with the EU, let alone everywhere else. So it's going to be years until we can compensate for any lost EU trade.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Of course, with everything being rosy in our own garden, such as lowest interest rates ever, lowest bond prices ever, a second round of quantitative easing on its way, the pound at a thirty year low, weakening substantially against the euro and a stock market that has lost 8% of its realtime value, we have much to crow about.

Remind me who's advocating project fear again?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:50 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Nice one mate, not our problem now.

Well it bloody well would have been if we had remained and don't give me the 'we are not in the Eurozone' nonsense, if the Euro collapsed the EU would and we would be part of the calamity it would cause.
In or out it will be our problem (to a degree). If EU countries have fcuked up economies then they wont be buying stuff in quantity from us, thus affecting our economy.

Now, I know you'll say that we're now going to increase trade elsewhere, but that isn't going to magically happen over night. We've barely enough trade negotiators to deal with the EU, let alone everywhere else. So it's going to be years until we can compensate for any lost EU trade.
But you don't understand. We've got our country back, it's only weeks before the Empire is restored to full glory and spitfires, sopwiths, and vulcans fly over our heads paradropping free tea and bulldogs, whilst every country in the world queues up to trade with us.

It's nothing to do with isolating ourselves in an ever increasingly unified and globalised (western) world.
Good job we've got Biggles in his Sopwith Camel as those fancy new F35s on order just got about 20 years worth of EU payments more expensive.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:03 am

The F-35 is a cretin of a plane, it needs more time on the ground for maintenance than in the air in combat.

The US military have been shocked just how many missions and about the reliability of Russian planes.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:40 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Of course, with everything being rosy in our own garden, such as lowest interest rates ever, lowest bond prices ever, a second round of quantitative easing on its way, the pound at a thirty year low, weakening substantially against the euro and a stock market that has lost 8% of its realtime value, we have much to crow about.

Remind me who's advocating project fear again?
Couple of articles for you to peruse:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... on-brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/news/15 ... ugust.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also a large number of people who will find low interest rates very beneficial. Especially the people who haven't yet got onto the housing market.

Yes for us savers it sucks, but ISA stocks could be rather attractive now (whilst the pound is down) as the second article mentions.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:12 pm

The FTSE numbers are quite appealing at first glance, aren't they?

Then you remember that the currency that has greatest traction there has unfortunately slumped, meaning an actual loss to all the companies involved. Directly the result of Brexit, unfortunately.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:42 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/topstori ... id=UE01DHP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet another pig from that bastion of fairness , equality, and democracy sticking his snout in the trough.

Strange people are just waking up to the fact the EU is run by either power obsessed nobody's or greedy gravy train riders.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Are we talking about Nigel Farage here?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Are we talking about Nigel Farage here?
Didn't know he used to run the EU? :conf:

Ah well, deflect away Europhobe :mrgreen:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:17 pm

Would I not technically be a leavasceptic now, whilst you are a leavophile?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:50 am

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:37 am

throwawayboltonian wrote:Told you guys that there would be impacts that you might not directly notice. Scientists are now being cut from international projects. Really sad to read, and it will hinder our (inter)national R&D capabilities.
No offence meant here but surely the real brains in R&D are employed and work for the global companies and not financed solely by public funding?

Anyway, which ever way you look at the result Cameron cocked up, he should merely have said he would hold a referendum in the next parliamentary term, given he was going before then his successor (Osbourne?) could then have back tracked on the promise using the thing that undid Cameron, circumstances.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:38 am

Hoboh wrote:
throwawayboltonian wrote:Told you guys that there would be impacts that you might not directly notice. Scientists are now being cut from international projects. Really sad to read, and it will hinder our (inter)national R&D capabilities.
No offence meant here but surely the real brains in R&D are employed and work for the global companies and not financed solely by public funding?
Some (many) of the real brains in R & D over here are employed by universities. They have a salary and a job security. However, they cannot do research (which should be 50%+ of their job) unless they obtain research grants. These grants fund research which includes giving graduate students funds to help in the research. Rather than have their own R & D departments, some global (and national) companies sometimes give these professors grants to study certain specified problems. However, this type of research is not pure and is to some extent tainted. Pure research tends to be done with research grants from granting agencies using public funds through a peer review methodology. It is possible the UK is different and none of the real brains are in the universities.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:01 am

Hoboh wrote:

Anyway, which ever way you look at the result Cameron cocked up, he should merely have said he would hold a referendum in the next parliamentary term, given he was going before then his successor (Osbourne?) could then have back tracked on the promise using the thing that undid Cameron, circumstances.
Most of the proper research is done in universities. Some of that done in the private sector is merely 'scientific lobbying'. For examples look to the research from way back telling us ciggies had health benefits. The private sector will generally only research what they believe to be profitable rather than necessary. Public funding ensures that research is done in areas that might not otherwise get any advancement despite it being a worthy area that could improve many lives.

I haven't looked, but I bet you'll find shit loads of research telling us that fracking is completely safe and wonderful (despite what has happened in the US). I'll bet you an Internet tenner that 99% of that research was funded by the fracking industry. I'd rather we make important decisions, particularly around health, from research not influenced by financially interested parties.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:35 am

Well, we're still involved with CERN thank God. How else could we have spent more than our fair share of €20bn to find a particle everyone knew was there but we can do fck all with now it's been proven. Big "Yay" for publicly funded European research.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:25 am

bobo the clown wrote:Well, we're still involved with CERN thank God. How else could we have spent more than our fair share of €20bn to find a particle everyone knew was there but we can do fck all with now it's been proven. Big "Yay" for publicly funded European research.
Who is to say it wont lead to breakthroughs in years to come. We could of course just stick to things that bring instant gratification and bollocks to the future.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:14 am

We're going to have to cut something to ensure the £350m a week for the NHS and no change to farming subsidies...maybe they should just push income tax up.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:17 am

Lets have us a book burning! F*ck you science, and the horse you rode in on! Telling me what I already know. Bastard.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:34 am

Worthy4England wrote:We're going to have to cut something to ensure the £350m a week for the NHS and no change to farming subsidies...maybe they should just push income tax up.
Yep. I'm all for that 8)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:44 am

bobo the clown wrote:Well, we're still involved with CERN thank God. How else could we have spent more than our fair share of €20bn to find a particle everyone knew was there but we can do fck all with now it's been proven. Big "Yay" for publicly funded European research.
Feck me that's narrow minded.