Save the Palais Facade..

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Save the Palais facade?

Rebuild it as a dance hall.
6%
Save the frontage as part of a new building.
69%
Bulldoze it and build yet another block of student flats.
25%
suggest an option
No votes

Total votes: 16

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Save the Palais Facade..

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Sounds like the old Palais de Danse (yes, right spelling) may well meet the bulldozers soon. Personally it's a tragedy for me because it's been much a part of my life even to the recent one-night only trip down memory lane, but could/should the magnificent fascade be saved and incorporated into something else? To lose it completely would be a real tragedy in my view, so what's your view? Save or replace?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Save the Palais Facade..

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:25 pm

I might have voted the wrong way on this, but if the facade is the red Ikon carbuncle then I'd bulldoze (which is where I was in my understanding when I ticked the box). Then I read the original facade was still there behind the red shoite, and out of preference, I'd want to restore it. I can't see anyone re-opening it as a Dance Hall though and really, they're not going to spend a premium on restoring the facade unless the planning folks step in, I wouldn't have thought. Problem is, if the planning is conditional on restoring the facade, then new owners might just reject the extra expense and let it fall over...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Wonderful as it would be, I agree the Palais's days as a dance hall are long gone. It's far too big a building to maintain, clear running costs and make a profit on. Just won't happen regrettably. Ballroom dance still has a lot of supporters who would go there to dance, but nowhere near the volume necessary. The last venue locally that did okay as a dance hall was Farnworth's Blightys (old Monaco) and even that gave way to disco and clubbing. Music tasts changed and thus dance did too.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I might have voted the wrong way on this, but if the facade is the red Ikon carbuncle then I'd bulldoze (which is where I was in my understanding when I ticked the box). Then I read the original facade was still there behind the red shoite, and out of preference, I'd want to restore it. I can't see anyone re-opening it as a Dance Hall though and really, they're not going to spend a premium on restoring the facade unless the planning folks step in, I wouldn't have thought. Problem is, if the planning is conditional on restoring the facade, then new owners might just reject the extra expense and let it fall over...
given the buildings that ARE listed - I'm surprised that (at least the facade) is not listed.... (or maybe it is?? - in which case, it can't simply be bull-dozed)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:04 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I might have voted the wrong way on this, but if the facade is the red Ikon carbuncle then I'd bulldoze (which is where I was in my understanding when I ticked the box). Then I read the original facade was still there behind the red shoite, and out of preference, I'd want to restore it. I can't see anyone re-opening it as a Dance Hall though and really, they're not going to spend a premium on restoring the facade unless the planning folks step in, I wouldn't have thought. Problem is, if the planning is conditional on restoring the facade, then new owners might just reject the extra expense and let it fall over...
given the buildings that ARE listed - I'm surprised that (at least the facade) is not listed.... (or maybe it is?? - in which case, it can't simply be bull-dozed)
Aye - we've never seen a place where it's been cheaper to knock the thing down and pay the penalty than to reconstruct it... :-)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:22 pm

Who the feck voted for more scruffy, smelly, urchin student accommodation?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:27 pm

Hoboh wrote:Who the feck voted for more scruffy, smelly, urchin student accommodation?
Worthy *halo*
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Before I vote, I want to know what state of the facade is in behind the facade, if you see what I mean.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:29 pm

I voted for bulldoze it (which happens to encompass student accommodation). I don't think if they bulldoze it, they'll use it for student accommodation.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I voted for bulldoze it (which happens to encompass student accommodation). I don't think if they bulldoze it, they'll use it for student accommodation.
That doesn't necessarily follow... depends if they're scruffy nice person students who'll jump at the chance at bedding down in the rubble, or middle class students who'll baulk at the very idea.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:37 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Before I vote, I want to know what state of the facade is in behind the facade, if you see what I mean.
Everything is still there but would need a lot of cleaning up (maybe steam-cleaning would do a lot) . Looks okay to me but that's only looks.

http://www.boltonrevisited.org.uk/a-palais.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:38 pm

I'll forgive Worthy's error but some other sneak jumped on the band waggon!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:43 pm

Right.
Take the facade off the facade.
Demolish the building behind the bare facadeless facade.
Build a new building behind the old facade.
Donate the present monstrosity facade along with the demolished rubble of the old building to North Korea with a note telling them that Ikon is Boltonian for "we love Kim"
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Right.
Take the facade off the facade.
Demolish the building behind the bare facadeless facade.
Build a new building behind the old facade.
Donate the present monstrosity facade along with the demolished rubble of the old building to North Korea with a note telling them that Ikon is Boltonian for "we love Kim"
Brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Hoboh wrote:Who the feck voted for more scruffy, smelly, urchin student accommodation?

me - on the basis that the poll questions are set up in a nakedly biased and slanted fashion! :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:00 pm

thebish wrote:

me - on the basis that the poll questions are set up in a nakedly biased and slanted fashion! :D
Aye, well possibly you haven't yet seen today's B.E.N about Great Moor Street.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:

Aye, well possibly you haven't yet seen today's B.E.N about Great Moor Street.
I suspect never a truer word spoken...

Realistically the Great Moor Street land is lobbing up some student flats on a piece of land pretty much unconnected to nowt. The Palais is "part of its multi-million pound redevelopment of the shopping centre, which will see a cinema and restaurant complex open later this year"

The two aren't connected.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Seemed like this was the best thread to post in without starting another. Saw a mate in Bolton yesterday who took part in the T.V programme on dance. He's a Lofthouse Lower S.T holder and a great bloke. All his mates in the L.L. have had t-shirts made: a picture of him and the legend, "Walter the dancing queen". In his usual fashion he had a good laugh telling me about it. :lol:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:06 pm

Façade looks similar to the old Odeon Cinema near Ashburner Street Market. They did a brilliant job of preserving that..............

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Façade looks similar to the old Odeon Cinema near Ashburner Street Market. They did a brilliant job of preserving that..............
Never mind, we've still got pictures..(from 1962/3 :(