Gruntled

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Gruntled

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:36 pm

I didn't study the post (in)tently enough.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I didn't study the post (in)tently enough.
Yes! You're in.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm going for:

Discombobulated and combobulated

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
clapton is god wrote:"Am I disfigured?"

"No, you were never figured in the first place."

That kind of thing?
Kind of...albeit the opening two were chosen precisely because without the prefix we are unsure whether it decreases or increases the value that the word with the prefix embodies.
Thus when somebody is gruntled does this mean they are less then disgruntledor does it mean being opposite to being disgruntled, i.e if gruntled is to disgruntled is it like ecstatic is to happy or is it like happy is to sad?
We were looking for words that fit that formula.
So far I like Disturb and Turb, Discombobulate and Combobulate.
Then I must contest the word 'scrutable' which is indeed the opposite of inscrutable.
OED wrote:scrutable, adj.

Pronunciation:
/ˈskruːtəb(ə)l/
Frequency (in current use):

Etymology: As if < Latin *scrūtābilis, < scrūtārī : see scrutator n. Compare Italian ... (Show More)

That can be understood by scrutiny. Chiefly opposed to inscrutable.

c1604 Charlemagne (1938) i. 12 If ye thoughte of men were scrutable to man, & mongst men.

1718 G. Hickes & R. Nelson Mem. J. Kettlewell ii. xlviii. 153 Magnifying the Providence of God, which is by Mortals Scrutable.

1856 E. B. Browning Aurora Leigh iv. 146 Cognisant Of the less scrutable majesties.

1878 Life G. Combe I. ii. 23 Nobody conceived the cause of these phenomena to be scrutable
Then too there is gruntled.
OED wrote:gruntled, adj.

Pronunciation:
/ˈɡrʌnt(ə)ld/
Frequency (in current use):

Etymology: Back-formation < disgruntled adj. at disgruntle v. Derivatives.

Pleased, satisfied, contented.

1938 P. G. Wodehouse Code of Woosters i. 9 He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

1962 ‘C. Rohan’ Delinquents 76 Come on, Brownie darling, be gruntled.

1966 New Statesman 11 Nov. 693/2 An action against a barrister for negligence..would open the door to every disgruntled client. Now gruntled clients are rare in the criminal courts.

1967 ‘E. McGirr’ Hearse with Horses i. 17 The Agency has a nice file of gruntled exes who have found their talents in a great variety of jobs.

"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:54 pm

You're not have "gruntled" given your earliest citation is Wodehouse. By that reasoning they're all disqualified by dint of being mentioned in this thread.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:You're not have "gruntled" given your earliest citation is Wodehouse. By that reasoning they're all disqualified by dint of being mentioned in this thread.
I accept gruntled was a recent coinage that others have copied - thus making it a word in current usage but only because disgruntled once stood alone. However scrutable has a long an honourable history as a word.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:51 pm

What about 'appointed" ?

Has you appointed ever been other that dissed ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:You're not have "gruntled" given your earliest citation is Wodehouse. By that reasoning they're all disqualified by dint of being mentioned in this thread.
plus I already explained the "gruntled - Wodehouse" connection many days ago... that was the spark for this thread... booooooooo!! 8)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I accept gruntled was a recent coinage that others have copied - thus making it a word in current usage but only because disgruntled once stood alone. However scrutable has a long an honourable history as a word.
Fair enough. I shall strike inscrutable from the record.

That still leaves:
Combobulated
Turned

I've just realised that both disturbed and perturbed lead back to turbed. Excellent!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:04 pm

bobo the clown wrote:What about 'appointed" ?

That works too, I think. Although appointed is a word, it doesn't have the same meaning/root as disappointment. So yeah, it joins the list.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:23 pm

on a similar vein..

ageless
countless
peerless

the imagine +ve versions: ageful, countful and peerful don't exist...

dishevelled??

Corbyn looks decidedly dishevelled whereas Cameron is looking proudly hevelled?? :conf:
Last edited by thebish on Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Dishevelled - hevelled. Classic, it's on the list.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:27 pm

Contemporaneous?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:What about 'appointed" ?

That works too, I think. Although appointed is a word, it doesn't have the same meaning/root as disappointment. So yeah, it joins the list.
I believe it originally would have had the opposite meaning. People were appointed to something and subsequently disappointed (fired). Naturally they were unhappy and the word took on a new meaning.

I'll check the old OED
OED for its first definition of disappoint wrote: 1. trans. To undo the appointment of; to deprive of an appointment, office, or possession; to dispossess, deprive. Obs. (exc. as nonce-wd.)

[1489 Caxton tr. C. de Pisan Bk. Fayttes of Armes iii. v. 175 Thoo that faille theyre lorde in thys behalffe ought to be dyspoynted of the landes that they soo holde.]

1586 T. Bowes tr. P. de la Primaudaye French Acad. I. 617 A Monarch..hath power..to appoint or to disappoint the greatest officers.

1824 Byron Don Juan: Canto XVI lxxv. 101 He would keep it, Till duly disappointed or dismissed.

1870 C. H. Spurgeon Treasury of David I. Ps. xi. 6 God's Anointed is appointed, and shall not be disappointed.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:32 pm

^ oh all right, it's binned off.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:^ oh all right, it's binned off.
Well, that was the original meaning but now pretty obsolete so there is an argument to keep it. We don't want a ballistic Bobo around.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:^ oh all right, it's binned off.
Well, that was the original meaning but now pretty obsolete so there is an argument to keep it. We don't want a ballistic Bobo around.
Nope, it's gone.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Ok, what about... Supercalifragilisticexpealidocuos? If one's merely califragilisticexpealidocous is one in a good place, or is one basically in limbo?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fair enough. I shall strike inscrutable from the record.

That still leaves:
Combobulated
Turned

I've just realised that both disturbed and perturbed lead back to turbed. Excellent!
Turbo, turbare is the Latin for to confuse. Disturbare is Latin for to throw into confusion (so essentially means the same). Perturbare is Latin for to derange, throw into confusion. So Turb certainly works. Discombobulated is an American humourous coinage (for which reason you may wish to chuck it).

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:48 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Ok, what about... Supercalifragilisticexpealidocuos? If one's merely califragilisticexpealidocous is one in a good place, or is one basically in limbo?
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious [sic] (you put an e after the p) is a nonsense word created by American songwriters - surely we are above that.