Globalisation. Or, who needs to know all this stuff!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Globalisation. Or, who needs to know all this stuff!

Post by Enoch » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:13 am

Whilst some folk trouble over in/out and others fancy it's time for a good old shake about. Hot on the heels of 'The Investigatory Powers Act' being passed through Parliament last week, I'm more taken with a story that illustrates our inexorable shuffle, courtesy of a thirst for the world wide web, toward 1984.

Of course if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Globalisation. Or, who needs to know all this stuff!

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:18 am

Enoch wrote:Whilst some folk trouble over in/out and others fancy it's time for a good old shake about. Hot on the heels of 'The Investigatory Powers Act' being passed through Parliament last week, I'm more taken with a story that illustrates our inexorable shuffle, courtesy of a thirst for the world wide web, toward 1984.

Of course if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.
Wow. There again a lot of people forget what an authoritarian country it is. Nearly as bad as snooper Britain.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:24 am

BBC World Service have done a story on thsi.. Probably on some iPlayer somewhere.. Think it was that Tech thing they have on at dafgt o'clock in the morning beamed the world over

Anyway, they interviewed a student about it (face blurred and voice distorted) as you'd expect in a leafy suburb of Beijing. Highly worried about it he was, but he couldn;t say anything as you've guessed it. The thought police and the internet police will downgrade his credit worthiness and that of his families. It really is a fvcked up notion and something that is already happening over here. Mortgage lenders checking your statements, asking what the money you took out on the 10th October was for, asking to see families statements, because there was a large transaction from one family member to another etc. checking your facebook posts!

We're not far away from China.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:22 pm

How far away did you move? :-)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:43 am

Worthy4England wrote:How far away did you move? :-)
Walkden!! :lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:29 am

Chinese seem to have confused Black Mirror for Tommorow's World.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:58 pm

boltonboris wrote:BBC World Service have done a story on thsi.. Probably on some iPlayer somewhere.. Think it was that Tech thing they have on at dafgt o'clock in the morning beamed the world over

Anyway, they interviewed a student about it (face blurred and voice distorted) as you'd expect in a leafy suburb of Beijing. Highly worried about it he was, but he couldn;t say anything as you've guessed it. The thought police and the internet police will downgrade his credit worthiness and that of his families. It really is a fvcked up notion and something that is already happening over here. Mortgage lenders checking your statements, asking what the money you took out on the 10th October was for, asking to see families statements, because there was a large transaction from one family member to another etc. checking your facebook posts!

I don't know about the comparison with China. But it is another case of financial institutions fecking up majorly then passing the problem back down to everyone else. And people blaming everyone b but the source of the problem.

Infuriates me that this stuff goes on now, all because mortgage lenders were previously handing out huge mortgages to anyone who could sign on the dotted line. And WE bailed most of them out too.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:BBC World Service have done a story on thsi.. Probably on some iPlayer somewhere.. Think it was that Tech thing they have on at dafgt o'clock in the morning beamed the world over

I don't know about the comparison with China. But it is another case of financial institutions fecking up majorly then passing the problem back down to everyone else. And people blaming everyone b but the source of the problem.

Infuriates me that this stuff goes on now, all because mortgage lenders were previously handing out huge mortgages to anyone who could sign on the dotted line. And WE bailed most of them out too.
I can understand the affordability test, based on fixed DD's, childcare etc, but the personal intrusion was offensive and borderline illegal (probably not, but sure feels like it).

They even do stress tests now, to see if you can still handle the mortgage repayments if their interest rates go above 11%!!! Eleven fvckin percent.

There is being prudent and then there's being a bunch of absolute dicks

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:30 pm

I can remember rates around 15%. With May and Boris in charge I don't think it unreasonable to prepare for the worst!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:58 pm

They won't be after the next Gen-Elec you'd imagine!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:12 pm

I've given up predicting elections and referenda!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Prufrock wrote:Chinese seem to have confused Black Mirror for Tommorow's World.
Really!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:14 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I've given up predicting elections and referenda!
2016 was not my greatest prognostication year either. :oops:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.