Culture, erm

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Culture, erm

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I understand much more about bw2 from his opening gambit. It's all becoming clear now. Just for the record, that Stewart Lee fella is shit. Oh and David Mitchell too.

It's a pity really, because he seems to be the only man doing '70's style stand up right now...

I think we can all agree, the John Bishop of Cultural Relativism. :D
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Maybe if he tried sitting down, folks wouldn't confuse it with comedy?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Going to see Jack Whitehall in Leeds tonight. Not through choice I might add. It was a birthday present from Mrs BP. I used to despise him, but he's grown on me having watched him on A League of their Own. Not seen his stand up. Yet! Can't say that I am looking forward to it.
Change "Leeds" for "London" and "Mrs BP" for "not-Mrs Pru" and that's exactly my Sunday!

I had a quick peek of his stand-up on Netflix. Lasted about 5 mins. I'm not hopeful.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I understand much more about bw2 from his opening gambit. It's all becoming clear now. Just for the record, that Stewart Lee fella is shit. Oh and David Mitchell too.

It's a pity really, because he seems to be the only man doing '70's style stand up right now...

:pray:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:

Not only is he really, really unfunny he is really, really boring.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:15 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

Not only is he really, really unfunny he is really, really boring.
But apart from that, what did the Romans....

The quinoa scoffing left are about the same level as the can't laugh at anything that might be anti-Tory right. They probably need to get out more..

On another note, don't think we'll be seeing This is Spinal Tap in the short term

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:42 pm

FFS, put your concrete boots on and stop whining you f*cking snowflakz.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:27 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:
My original question was prompted by noticing an advert which set out around 40 dates around the country. 40? I wasn't advising anyone to go, by the way.
I'm afraid that comedy in general has been going down the tubes since the 1970/80s. TV comedy bowdlerised by political correctness and the highjacking of stand-up by the 'right-on' left. Stewart Lee epitomises this for me. However I am fairly certain that persons who shall be nameless and post on here love his depressing mix of political and depressing 'comedy'. The Usual Suspects.
What is it that political correctness actually prevents?

The overall assertion is completely wrong IMO. Since the 70s and 80s we've had some of the finest comedies ever produced in this country.
Apart from one or two possible and honourable exceptions such as Blackadder and maybe Black Books I'm struggling to think of these 'finest' comedies. So please help me out - name some.

Regards political correctness, people who used to work for the BBC but then saw the light such as Rod Liddle are very emphatic that there is a pervasive problem stopping innovation and avoiding risks. It was reported that of all the people who work on Newsnight, 0% read any newspaper other than The Grauniad. Don't you think that the same applies to comedy commissioning editors at the BBC, Sky and ITV?

The revival of Open All Hours, Are You Being Served, and others speaks of the paucity of new ideas and a desire not to take risks.
There have been a number of highly and widely critically regarded comedies since the 80's (I like some, and not others but that is down to taste).

To name but a few:
Ab Fab
The Office
Peep Show
Green wing
I'm Alan Partridge
Father Ted
The thick of it
The mighty boosh
The league of gentlemen
The royal family

That is off the top of my head. I don't like everything on that list. There is more than enough there to find something for everyone.
You are quite right in this case :shock:
How could I have forgotten Father Ted, The League of Gentlemen and the Thick of It? All very well written and performed.

The rest though are, IMO, mediocre. Noticed that all on your list were birthed in the 1990s with two exceptions?

Well done that man.