Washing machine recommendations please

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Washing machine recommendations please

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:04 am

Our washing machine looks like it's giving up after 5 years of very mediocre service. It's a Siemens and I'm avoiding them in future having bought a cooker, washing machine and dish washer from them when we moved here. Most of the buttons don't work on the dish washer and the cooker turns the gas up whenever it feels like it. Thought Siemens were supposed to be decent quality!

So, any recommendations? Looking at Miele, who are the dogs knackers but eye wateringly expensive, wary of Bosch who are part of the same group as Siemens and I'm not touching Whirlpool, Hoover et al. Help!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Washing machine recommendations please

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:25 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:04 am
Our washing machine looks like it's giving up after 5 years of very mediocre service. It's a Siemens and I'm avoiding them in future having bought a cooker, washing machine and dish washer from them when we moved here. Most of the buttons don't work on the dish washer and the cooker turns the gas up whenever it feels like it. Thought Siemens were supposed to be decent quality!

So, any recommendations? Looking at Miele, who are the dogs knackers but eye wateringly expensive, wary of Bosch who are part of the same group as Siemens and I'm not touching Whirlpool, Hoover et al. Help!
Got a Miele condenser dryer, had it about 7 years, well equipped and still going strong.

Washing machine? Hoover 10kg load, good spec, 2 year old and the other half is chuffed to bits with its performance, overloading a bog standard model of any make is quite easy to do, just think in terms of a 20kg suitcase contents, this increases wear through excessive load.
TBH 5-7 years for any sort of constant household use ain't really that bad, freezers and fridges should be more than capable of 10 years plus in some cases although after that amount of time running costs will be higher than the latest kit.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:10 am

For what it's worth A.T: Asked the wife's view on this as we bought a new washing machine only two weeks ago. Our old machine was a Bosch and pretty decent, just suffered from old age (which can be anything from six months to ten years these days depending on which pot you get your luck from) and finally gave up. Anyway, we've bought a new "Zanussi" (her choice) and maybe we've always been lucky in the past (or her care and good maintenance?) so hoping that will continue. We've also had a "White Knight" dryer which is out in the garage, for over four years and has been terrific. Hope this helps.

ps, like the wife says, comparisons are difficult when users can be singles, couples or families with kids all with different usages. Hobson's..?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:24 am

The wife hasn't really broken down in 20 years. I'm not sure I'd recommend one though...

(How much bother would I be in if she saw this?) :-)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:24 am
The wife hasn't really broken down in 20 years. I'm not sure I'd recommend one though...

(How much bother would I be in if she saw this?) :-)
:lol:

My (new) wife drought her old Kenmore to our establishment 10 years ago and it still does a good job without complaint. Others strongly support Maytag. I have no idea if these are available in the sandy pert of the world.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:58 pm

I've always bought relatively cheap or mid range ones, on the basis that I don't think that more expensive ones necessarily guarantee longevity this day and age. They just add fancier features. It is a washing machine - I don't need it to work alongside an app on my phone!!!!

Had a Zanussi in the past which was good for the money. Have a Samsung one now that seems pretty good.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:57 pm

We've got th Samsung Adwash - the one where you can AD stuff to your WASH mid cycle (which is handy, when one of the kids decides to be a bellend when you've just put a wash on, or you've had a few and try and sneak a fart out that turns out to be a wet one)

It plays pretty little jingles and washes our clothes too.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:58 pm

"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:31 pm