The Open Championship 2017

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

The Open Championship 2017

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:46 pm

Assuming all golf fans are watching a quite riveting competition with McIlroy making a remarkable comeback from five over on day One? Good, it's entertaining stuff. Right then..
Haven't got Sky but I've been watching the day's play on BBC2 at 8-0 clock. That Speith lad is a hell of a golfer and really mature for a young bloke. Phil Mickelsen's 10 over and out shows was a savage foe a golf course can be. Birkdale is being Birkdale today and a few miles away from yesterday. Poulter and the other Brit lad Bland are still in there but Kuchar ( 5 under) is steady and he and Speith ( 6 under) will take some catching. Come on Mac, if you can give the Speith lad a five stroke lead and win you'll be some sort of hero. Get in. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Open Championship 2017

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:16 am

Aye - setting the cut at +5 added to the amount of players who are on +5 and +4 tells you how many are struggling with it. Was listening to Mcilroy's dreadful 'five over after six' start whilst driving up on Thursday in disbelief. I'm truly amazed that even a player of his talent can get to where he is now from there.
Got to fancy Speith who's well versed in getting these things over the line.
Would love to see Poulter have a 'Darren Clarke year' though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Speith looked unassailable a couple of years back, then went a little off the boil. I too was wondering wtf McIlroy was up to Thursday and similarly would like to see Poultry hold up in round 3, when so often he drifts into the semi-rough.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Dissapointing day today then. We have three players under par but Speith and Kuchar are striding away from the rest. Both McIlroy and Poulter looked to be threatenin g at one stage, but the composure and consistency of the cousins has to be respected. Unless something very unexpected happens, how it is seems to be how it will stay.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:37 pm

I may have missed something along the way here, chaps, but what's this groundswell of support for Kuchar all about?

Speith's made a very nervy start and looks like giving it away just now.

Two days ago Haotong would have equaled the Majors record of 63. Unlucky.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:38 pm

^^ You can just scream "Kooooooch" when you're pissed. :conf:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:44 am

Kuchar's a fairly likeable guy. I mean, he doesn't have a clue about anything outside of golf. He wears Skechers and calls the internet, without a shred of irony, the World Wide Web. What kind of 38 year old does those things? He's just a semi-elite player (4 Ryder Cups in this day in age is some achievement) and looks like Pob. What's not to like? He ain't one of the slowest players, has an awful looking swing (there's hope for all), always plays with a smile, never swears (instead says stuff like "Darn It, Ball,") and is respectful of the game. And I'd backed him at 60/1 so felt a little aggrieved at the outcome!

Is Poulter a likeable guy...? Is Mcilroy...? Is Spieth...?

Kuchar won the Bronze medal at the Olympics last summer with a final round 63/64. McIlroy and Spieth couldn't be f*cked going to Brazil because they might have caught Zika or something. (Here's a hint - there is no prize money at the Games).

Perhaps the groundswell of support for him on Sunday was the fact that the spectators wanted to see a battle rather than a procession? I dunno, I only tuned in for the back nine so didn't see any of Spieth's early bleeding. Sunday at the Majors is best when two players are going head to head in the same pair - like match play. Look at last year's Open with Stenson and Mickelson and this year's Masters with Rose and Garcia. Great Telly.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 am

And I tell you what's absolutely lovely. Live Golf will be on the BBC once again in three weeks when the PGA Championship in North Carolina gets underway. Live from 6pm on the Red Button (which I believe is channel 601 on a Freeview box) and the BBC Website and then on BBC2 later on for the final action of each day (10pm-ish on Saturday and Sunday, later on Thursday/Friday).

A Chance to see Jordan Spieth complete the Grand Slam before Roary McIlbrat. Get in.