A Challenge for Monty

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

A Challenge for Monty

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Hey up.
I'm wondering if (because you are Canadian and a researcher/librarian) you can point me in the right direction.
I'm doing some family history research and am up against a blank wall, can you help?
Using Archives and Library of Canada I've discovered as much as I can about a relative online, but I need more.
The background: back in the first world war my grandmother's two sisters married soldiers and then emigrated after the war. One branch in the USA we kept in touch with until they died out with no further generations. The other branch in Canada we believe are going strong but we've lost touch. I've tried many ways of contact but now believe back tracing the family is the most promising way.
What I know: My grandmother's sister Sarah Anne Wood married a Canadian George Wesley Chaney in Derbyshire in 1916 (English marriage cert. Family photos, Derbyshire newspaper cuttings).
His father is named as Archie Charney [sic] a farmer.
From Canada archives I know that George Chaney was a road grader living in a boarding house aged 16 in Saskatchewan in 1911, born in Ontario.
He enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary force in 1914 at camp Valcartier and lied about his age claiming to be 21. He was gassed in the famous 'Charge of the Canadians' at Ypres in 1915 and spent the next four years in the Royal Canadian Hospital based at Peak Hydro in Derbyshire. His wife Sarah transported with a child George aged 2 and an infant Robert aged 11 months on the troop's wives transport ship Minnedosa in April 1919.
In the census of 1921 George W, Sarah, and children George, William and Elizabeth are in Toronto.
49 years later Sarah and her American sister Liz met my grandmother Millie in Orangeville, Ontario [Orangeville Banner clipping circa 1968 titled Sisters Together After 49 Years].
My mother tells me her cousins were called Jean (who married Art) and
George and Len.

What I need to know is resolve the family: George, Robert/William, Elizabeth/Jean, Len.
This is probably best by 1931 census or birth certificates.

So my challenge is, can you point me yo online resources that I can search for either 1931 Census of Canada, and/or Canadian birth records.
Ta.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Challenge for Monty

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:07 pm
Hey up.
I'm wondering if (because you are Canadian and a researcher/librarian) you can point me in the right direction.
I'm doing some family history research and am up against a blank wall, can you help?
Using Archives and Library of Canada I've discovered as much as I can about a relative online, but I need more.
The background: back in the first world war my grandmother's two sisters married soldiers and then emigrated after the war. One branch in the USA we kept in touch with until they died out with no further generations. The other branch in Canada we believe are going strong but we've lost touch. I've tried many ways of contact but now believe back tracing the family is the most promising way.
What I know: My grandmother's sister Sarah Anne Wood married a Canadian George Wesley Chaney in Derbyshire in 1916 (English marriage cert. Family photos, Derbyshire newspaper cuttings).
His father is named as Archie Charney [sic] a farmer.
From Canada archives I know that George Chaney was a road grader living in a boarding house aged 16 in Saskatchewan in 1911, born in Ontario.
He enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary force in 1914 at camp Valcartier and lied about his age claiming to be 21. He was gassed in the famous 'Charge of the Canadians' at Ypres in 1915 and spent the next four years in the Royal Canadian Hospital based at Peak Hydro in Derbyshire. His wife Sarah transported with a child George aged 2 and an infant Robert aged 11 months on the troop's wives transport ship Minnedosa in April 1919.
In the census of 1921 George W, Sarah, and children George, William and Elizabeth are in Toronto.
49 years later Sarah and her American sister Liz met my grandmother Millie in Orangeville, Ontario [Orangeville Banner clipping circa 1968 titled Sisters Together After 49 Years].
My mother tells me her cousins were called Jean (who married Art) and
George and Len.

What I need to know is resolve the family: George, Robert/William, Elizabeth/Jean, Len.
This is probably best by 1931 census or birth certificates.

So my challenge is, can you point me yo online resources that I can search for either 1931 Census of Canada, and/or Canadian birth records.
Ta.
I'll reply by pm - probably some time tomorrow.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: A Challenge for Monty

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Cheers.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください