Satoshi Nakamoto's dangly bits

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Satoshi Nakamoto's dangly bits

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:33 pm
Hmmm. Not convinced at all, Spotty. In that diamonds and gold are tangible, physical, naturally occurring rarities, whereas this bitcoin appears to me to be something that somebody's decided exists.
Well Bruce, there are a number of things that actually exist in bitcoinage.
There is code, a blockchain, a bitcoin, and a nonce. The code is equivalent to a diamond market, the blockchain is similar to the ledgers in which merchants record their diamonds, the bitcoin is the currency exchange just like krugerrands or pounds, and the nonce os the equivalent of the actual diamond. There are differences of course, for example each nonce is the same 'size' whereas diamonds vary, but there are more similarities than differences, and as Prufrock pointed out, all currencies exist on the basis that those using it must believe it works, once that's in place it works like magic and not like science.
Science tells us diamonds a just a collection of carbon atoms, but diamond dealers use economic magic to assign a value to that collection of carbon atoms.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Apparently Visa has just withdrawn its precharged cards from a number of bitcoin operators. Oh, hum.
My initial £550 is now worth £645. And that's just day's worth. Makes my pension provision, savings accounts, housing investment, and ISA interest look like crumbs, never mind peanuts...
However, I'm still sticking out for an entire year's worth.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Meanwhile, on the real money scene: I've been collecting the different 50p coins of the realm. So far I have 25 different and quite a few twicers. Big money market player me... ae:) :oops:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Science tells us diamonds a just a collection of carbon atoms, but diamond dealers use economic magic to assign a value to that collection of carbon atoms.
And reality tells us that some are rarer than others - ergo, more sought after - more valuable.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:34 pm
Meanwhile, on the real money scene: I've been collecting the different 50p coins of the realm. So far I have 25 different and quite a few twicers. Big money market player me... ae:) :oops:
I'll give you £12.50 for the lot!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:29 pm

jimbo wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:51 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
:lol:

Reminds me of an ad once in the Sunday Times Magazine. 'Diana Memorial £5.00 coin. £10.00 inc p&p'.

Struck me as being rather a poor deal :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:15 pm

jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Ha, worse thing that can happen is I can get my face value at any time. No risk money marketing.... :D

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:49 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:15 pm
jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Ha, worse thing that can happen is I can get my face value at any time. No risk money marketing.... :D
Ah, on the contrary. They'll be losing their value year on year due to the joys of inflation!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:43 am

jimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:49 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Ah, on the contrary. They'll be losing their value year on year due to the joys of inflation!
I'll double your "Ah" and say the whole point is collector items. Even totally ignoring the daft sums claimed, time will make scarce items even scarcer still, and all at very cheap cost if you work at it... :wink:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:43 am
jimbo wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:49 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
jimbo wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
I'll double your "Ah" and say the whole point is collector items. Even totally ignoring the daft sums claimed, time will make scarce items even scarcer still, and all at very cheap cost if you work at it... :wink:
And you are correct. But you usually have to work at it.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 am
"Someone that somebody has decided exists" is a pretty spot on description of fiat currency and many of the fundamentals of a modern economy. That bit of paper in your wallet that says "£20" on us absolutely no value unless we all decide it does. Bitcoin itself is clearly a massive bubble, but it seems inevitable to me that some sort of cryptocurrency that can be used to buy and sell widely is going to come about. That the person buying it knows he'll be able to spend it is where is value comes from, like all currency.
Yeah but currency sprang up independently in lots of places because it serves a purpose. Primarily as a store of value as a means of exchange. It's value fluctuates based on things like interest rates or confidence in the performance of an economy. I don't really understand bitcoin, but it seems like it's increasing value is based on people's belief that it's going to go up in value and not much else. Certainly smells like a bubble, not least because it's got people who wouldn't otherwise invest involved, but I don't know how far the impact of it bursting would be.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:09 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 am
"Someone that somebody has decided exists" is a pretty spot on description of fiat currency and many of the fundamentals of a modern economy. That bit of paper in your wallet that says "£20" on us absolutely no value unless we all decide it does. Bitcoin itself is clearly a massive bubble, but it seems inevitable to me that some sort of cryptocurrency that can be used to buy and sell widely is going to come about. That the person buying it knows he'll be able to spend it is where is value comes from, like all currency.
Yeah but currency sprang up independently in lots of places because it serves a purpose. Primarily as a store of value as a means of exchange. It's value fluctuates based on things like interest rates or confidence in the performance of an economy. I don't really understand bitcoin, but it seems like it's increasing value is based on people's belief that it's going to go up in value and not much else. Certainly smells like a bubble, not least because it's got people who wouldn't otherwise invest involved, but I don't know how far the impact of it bursting would be.
It's increasing value is due to the reason you pointed out (belief) plus its increasing rarity - it is designed to get harder to mine. And while there are still people out there willing to 'pan' for bitcoin, then, similar to goldrushes, there will be coattail hangers on trading, exchanging, hoarding, and speculating.
And just like gold or tulips it's only worth what people will 'pay' for it. But while there are still 'free' bitcoins to be had, people will still try to find them, and therefore when the bubble bursts it will probably be more like the Californian model than the Alaskan one, and not at all akin to the Amsterdam one. (Or at least that's what I'm gambling on).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:52 pm

I just want Donald to keep his gob shut, as recently every time he has opened it, the Dollar has gone down and reduced my blighty kitty :whack:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:52 pm
I just want Donald to keep his gob shut, as recently every time he has opened it, the Dollar has gone down and reduced my blighty kitty :whack:
Why've you got your stash in Dollars when you could have dirhams?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:55 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Dirhams are pegged to the Dollar :( I need Ronald to shut up and Boris to really deck up over the next few months...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
They're dealing in Judiths' now? :shock:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Whoosh. (I'm going to have to look this up, aren't I?).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:45 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
OK..did a quick google. FFS, Tango, we're talking 1963!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:45 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
OK..did a quick google. FFS, Tango, we're talking 1963!
Seek 'er and ye shall find... Oh never mind.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Well well... Who'd athunk it. Less than a month after my initial investment of £550 had hit less than £210, it is now resurgent once more. OK, it's current value of ~£420 is not exactly setting the world on fire, watch this space. Eleven months to go and I'm re-feeling a positive outcome.
(PS still have no idea of how to actually convert my bitcoinage back into Actual Currency, as in dosh...)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください