What Car - suggestions please

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

What Car - suggestions please

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 am

We're returning to the UK in a couple of months time and will be living in a fairly remote spot up in Scotland. As car choices are very different to here I'm after some suggestions as to what might be a good option. We're looking at second hand rather than new as most of our savings are going into a business and things are going to be tight for a while.

We will be living up a hill, down a single track road. All the roads are pretty much single track apart from 1 main road, so we want 4 wheel drive. We need decent boot space and as the petrol prices are a bit more than the 30p a litre I pay now, something fairly economical. Daily journeys will be fairly short, but with regular trips across the Highlands. Motorway travel will be minimal as there aren't any! Some options that seem available after looking online:

Mitsubishi Outlander Phev and diesel options - looks to be practical, if boring.
Land Rover Freelander
Volvo XC60
Mitsubishi L200 - pushing the budget
Ford Kuga - cheaper than the others
Subaru Forrester
VW Tiguan

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What Car - suggestions please

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 am

Can't help on specifics but don't buy diesel whatever you do!

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 am

Depends how competent at off-road, snow and ice you will really need. Some of the ones on your list are a bit too 'soft-road' to deal with harsh conditions.
I bought a used Discovery Sport for 'er indoors late last year and it can cope with anything she/we can throw at it and it's very well kitted out. If your budget is constrained the predecessor Freelander 2 is ok but feels a bit agricultural.
From what I've heard from friends you can't really go wrong with the XC60 and the Subarus are suprisingly good off-road and are really built to last.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:21 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 am
Depends how competent at off-road, snow and ice you will really need. Some of the ones on your list are a bit too 'soft-road' to deal with harsh conditions.
I bought a used Discovery Sport for 'er indoors late last year and it can cope with anything she/we can throw at it and it's very well kitted out. If your budget is constrained the predecessor Freelander 2 is ok but feels a bit agricultural.
From what I've heard from friends you can't really go wrong with the XC60 and the Subarus are suprisingly good off-road and are really built to last.
We wont be taking it off road, but it will need to get around single track roads in Scottish weather. I like the XC60, but it will be a case of finding one with the right mileage/age for our budget. We'll be buying it within days of getting off the plane, so trying to have a target list of cars to view.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:30 am

road2.jpg
road2.jpg (305.44 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
I've got to get it up this road and this bit is quite wide compared to the rest!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:30 am

Not being nosey but it helps if we had a rough idea of what you want to spend a low mileage xc60 can be had for 25-30ish
You need diesel if a 4x4 in the area/conditions you are going to.
The Volvo is good value due to an updated model just out. Nowt wrong with a 2017 though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:30 am
Not being nosey but it helps if we had a rough idea of what you want to spend a low mileage xc60 can be had for 25-30ish
You need diesel if a 4x4 in the area/conditions you are going to.
The Volvo is good value due to an updated model just out. Nowt wrong with a 2017 though.
Problem being you could be stung with £500 a year extra car tax and be banned from driving in cities by 2020. Plus it may be impossible to sell it.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:49 am

Rubbish!
You read too much into the power of the green lobby, diesel drivers have lots of votes as well matey.
Want budget? Suzuki vitara 1.4 booster jet all grip, not the poshest but reliable work horses and look pretty good.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:50 am

Trying to keep it less than 20k as we're not doing credit or owt. Also want to keep as much cash free as possible for the business. Considering the nearest proper city is over 5 hours drive I'm not so concerned about being banned from driving there. Just wish we could bring our car back with us. Far cheaper to buy here than the UK (about the only thing).

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:06 am

Research the Suzuki then read owners reviews etching you might find it well worth it going to have a gander myself at them

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:06 am
Research the Suzuki then read owners reviews etching you might find it well worth it going to have a gander myself at them
Hmmm, not sure about all grip...sounds a bit dodgy :shock:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:49 am
Rubbish!
You read too much into the power of the green lobby, diesel drivers have lots of votes as well matey.
Want budget? Suzuki vitara 1.4 booster jet all grip, not the poshest but reliable work horses and look pretty good.
I have a diesel. But its going to happen. Diesel sales are plummeting.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 am
Hoboh wrote:
Suzuki have a good reputation with there 4 wheel drive system's tried and tested over the years and have better reliability than land rover and quite a few others.
All grip more than good enough for what you say you want
https://www.parkers.co.uk/suzuki/sx4-s- ... w-and-mud/

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:07 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 am
Hoboh wrote:
Suzuki have a good reputation with there 4 wheel drive system's tried and tested over the years and have better reliability than land rover and quite a few others.
All grip more than good enough for what you say you want
https://www.parkers.co.uk/suzuki/sx4-s- ... w-and-mud/
T'was just my smutty mind :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Over here we have worse winters than Scotland and a lot of dirt roads in the country. I had a Suzuki for five years - front wheel drive only - with no problems. Great car but they stopped making them for the North American market. My nephew has a Subaru (they are all awd) which he says is great in snow and ice. My new car is a KIA - great car but with so many bells and whistles that you need a pilot's license to run it. Again no problems. However, we rotate winter and summer tyres which makes a huge difference. Steep icy narrow roads with all season radials would be a problem I suspect.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Why bother with second hand rather than new when if you buy new you get three years absolutely hassle free, no MOT, guaranteed service prices, and free breakdown cover for the entire three years.
Depending on exactly what you want I'd suggest looking at a Skoda, either the Karoq or the Kodiaq. Really. Why aren't they in your list?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:53 pm

Why can't you bring your car back with you?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 pm
Why bother with second hand rather than new when if you buy new you get three years absolutely hassle free, no MOT, guaranteed service prices, and free breakdown cover for the entire three years.
Depending on exactly what you want I'd suggest looking at a Skoda, either the Karoq or the Kodiaq. Really. Why aren't they in your list?
We want to buy outright and with the eye water quotes to get us home, along with the business costs, house costs etc all at once we just don't have circa 30k to spare to go new. We don't need fancy, just reliable and capable with decent boot space.

Monty, we'll be running seasonal tyres, but definitely want the 4 wheel drive as we can't afford to not be able to get around in bad weather.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:59 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:53 pm
Imagine you'd get utterly f*cked on import duty (and VAT).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:59 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:53 pm
The brand has no presence in the UK and we only bought the 2WD model.