China

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

China

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Tomorrow I fly to China (14 miserable hours). I have to give the keynote address at an international conference on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights at Nankai University, Tianjin. The declaration will be 70 years old in December. Hopefully the topic of human rights will not be too controversial in today's China. After the Conference we will spend some 10 days on a private tour in Beijing, Xian (terracotta warrior chaps) and Shanghai. A private tour is just a car with driver and English-speaking guide, which is not as expensive as it sounds and allows much more flexibility. I should be back some time after Trafalgar Day. If I never post again you may assume my speech did not go quite as well as one might have hoped.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: China

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:16 pm
Tomorrow I fly to China (14 miserable hours). I have to give the keynote address at an international conference on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights at Nankai University, Tianjin. The declaration will be 70 years old in December. Hopefully the topic of human rights will not be too controversial in today's China. After the Conference we will spend some 10 days on a private tour in Beijing, Xian (terracotta warrior chaps) and Shanghai. A private tour is just a car with driver and English-speaking guide, which is not as expensive as it sounds and allows much more flexibility. I should be back some time after Trafalgar Day. If I never post again you may assume my speech did not go quite as well as one might have hoped.
Don't mention the Spratlys... or Ai Weiwei... or Tibet... or anything else, frankly, and you'll be alright.

(PS 14 hours? It only took me twelve from London, via Paris and Anchorage to get to Osaka. And you've got over a thousand mile advantage of westernness on me!)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:21 pm

... or Meng Hongwei.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:52 pm

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip Monty. Never been there but it looks fascinating.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:50 pm
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Don't mention the Spratlys... or Ai Weiwei... or Tibet... or anything else, frankly, and you'll be alright.

(PS 14 hours? It only took me twelve from London, via Paris and Anchorage to get to Osaka. And you've got over a thousand mile advantage of westernness on me!)
I have to get to Toronto - then it's 14 hours. I guess Beijing has westerness on Osaka.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Yes, by over a thousand miles
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:57 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:27 pm
Yes, by over a thousand miles
One thousand one hundred and eight to be precise.
And yet Toronto is One thousand seven hundred and eighty six miles further west than Paris.
Thus a fourteen hour flight takes longer than a twelve hour flight by two hours (quel surprise!) over a distance that is 678 miles less.
Thus London to Osaka, which is 5,988 miles in distance is covered at 499mph, in comparison to the 469mph flight of the 6579 mile long Montreal to Beijing flight. Hmmm...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
This may be too late, as you're there already: But, eat the pork.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 am

Hope you get/got home safely, human rights don't go down to well in some parts of the world.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:37 pm

Your front room, for one!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:37 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:37 pm
Your front room, for one!
[p with a re/quote]

The odds were shockingly poor to bet on who'd pop up with that reply.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:55 am

I used to eat at Bolton's first Chinese restaurant, The Tai Tung, opposite St Patrick's Church on Great Moor Street. Nearest I ever got to China. Just saying. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:38 am

It transpired Eastness and Westness were both wrong. From Toronto we headed due North out over James Bay. We were on the left (West side) of the plane. The sun continued to sink, but very slowly as we gained altitude and headed North. It just reached the horizon as we crossed the Pole. Suddenly without moving we were on the East side of the plane heading South, and the sun started rising, almost as if it bounced on the horizon. China time is 12 hours ahead of us so we went right into their time zone without crossing the other 11 in between. No need to change watches. It all seemed a bit odd.

China was pretty amazing but the government blocked access to counter-revolutionary sites like Google, Amazon, BBC, CNN and, alas, TW. So I've been a bit out of touch.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:38 am
It transpired Eastness and Westness were both wrong. From Toronto we headed due North out over James Bay. We were on the left (West side) of the plane. The sun continued to sink, but very slowly as we gained altitude and headed North. It just reached the horizon as we crossed the Pole. Suddenly without moving we were on the East side of the plane heading South, and the sun started rising, almost as if it bounced on the horizon. China time is 12 hours ahead of us so we went right into their time zone without crossing the other 11 in between. No need to change watches. It all seemed a bit odd.

China was pretty amazing but the government blocked access to counter-revolutionary sites like Google, Amazon, BBC, CNN and, alas, TW. So I've been a bit out of touch.
But still alive. And back with all organic bits intact. Well survived.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください