Science, Experiment, and the failure of Reality.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Science, Experiment, and the failure of Reality.

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:37 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:50 pm

When I say we need to start again, I don't mean to just ditch what it is we have learnt. Omar was good enough in the eleventh century, and can even be relevant in the twenty first. But, it's no longer a matter of faith and opinion. We have forged a better tool. We are unfortunately failing to weild it properly.
Indeed, and all the Omars' ever eventually reach a point where they are forced to admit : "I just don't know". Start again with what? Mankind get usually less than a hundred years to prove anything and nobody has yet found the elixer of life.
One way it may be part explainable for me is using the Yin/Yang theory which is pretty provable to exist in terms of right and wrong, good and evil. The wrong and evil are all around us and crime is happening a thousand fold even as we speak, sometimes resulting in massive obliteration of life, yet the good is minor by comparison and right, in many cases, is but a word to express domination or personal opinion. Why then, you might ask, does God not reveal all, perform one inarguable visible miracle to prove his existence?

I'll leave you with that question and the results of the answer to think on (allowing for the fact that you are atheist and our answers may well not be the same anyway... :wink:
I think you've just missed hitting the nail on the head and smacked it into your thumbnail instead. Ouch!
The existence or not of God does not concern me. "He's" so small fry that I'm not even concerned about the usual: you know, demiurge, trinity, heaven, hell and devils, veils of uncertainty, etc, etc.
Ying/Yang is a principle of beauty that I can adhere to. But it isn't truth. It's just a way of imagining what lies behind reality. It is not, however, even close to what constitutes reality. (To me it is a better model than any trinity. Duality will always tump Trinity. But, as a Buddhist, Unity trumps Duality.).
The biggest challenge that a brain can get around is this:
You Cannot possibly forge Something from Nothingness, and yet Here We Are!

Scientific endeavour is simply that: an endeavour to explain shit. We are failing. But our failure isn't due to an inferior take on the universe where Faith takes all! Faith explains even less than what a concerted effort to understand via scientific principles does.

I don't understand why we don't understand why we don't all understand anything. Or, sorry, I do understand why we don't understand why we don't understand: because our Science is going in the wrong direction. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Faith.

I can categorically claim that there is no appealing to metaphysical states that will trump a proper scientific explanation. None.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:45 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:59 pm

I can categorically claim that there is no appealing to metaphysical states that will trump a proper scientific explanation. None.
Except, in this case, when such an explanation is inexplainable . I'm quite happy to admit I don't know the answer and go with faith and belief...It's always worked okay for me. Again, Omar had a relevant comment:

"Myself when young did eagerly frequent
doctor and saint, and heard great argument
about it and about: but evermore
came out by the same door as in I went."
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:56 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:28 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:11 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:56 pm
Bandwagon!

You're the Buddhist, best I know I'm the only Supersymmetrist around.

8)
You got me there.
From mu to zenzen via zazen. I'll think about that tonight.

Take as long as you choose but never forget, if things don't change they stay the same.
:drink:
Nothing ever stays the same. Ever. Things change. That's the nature of reality...

(I did know this. But having reviewed it I can conclude I'm right.).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:45 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:59 pm

Except, in this case, when such an explanation is inexplainable . I'm quite happy to admit I don't know the answer and go with faith and belief...It's always worked okay for me. Again, Omar had a relevant comment:

"Myself when young did eagerly frequent
doctor and saint, and heard great argument
about it and about: but evermore
came out by the same door as in I went."
I have absolutely no doubt that Omar Khayyam was an outstanding human being and intellect.
But but. What you quote tells me he gave up. I have no intention of not trying. Just because nobody agrees doesn't mean we can't.

I fully agree that "an explanation is inexplainable". I'm also content that for you to be "happy to admit I don't know the answer and go with faith and belief..." is a reasonable option.
I'm not content with that however.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:21 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:56 pm
Enoch wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Bandwagon!

8)
You got me there.

Take as long as you choose but never forget, if things don't change they stay the same.
Nothing ever stays the same. Ever. Things change. That's the nature of reality...

You will also be aware there is no route to happiness.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:21 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:56 pm
Enoch wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Bandwagon!

8)
You got me there.

You will also be aware there is no route to happiness.
Correct. The aspiration of a Buddhist is to have "right thinking". 8)
Those who are not content with just right thinking wish to be enlightened. :pissed:
The truly deluded want to achieve nirvana. :mrgreen:

I am firmly in the wanting enlightenment category. We have no illusion this leads to happiness.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:54 pm

I've spent the last few years taking time to meditate, thinking back over everything I did and have done wrongly in life. It's a tremendous amount. I haven't finished yet, I fear. :|

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:54 pm
I've spent the last few years taking time to meditate, thinking back over everything I did and have done wrongly in life. It's a tremendous amount. I haven't finished yet, I fear. :|
Thinking, or doing?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:02 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thinking, or doing?
Thinking mainly, although I'm almost sure to err somewhere. There is though, a strange sort of satisfaction in honesty.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 pm
Enoch wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thinking, or doing?
Thinking mainly, although I'm almost sure to err somewhere. There is though, a strange sort of satisfaction in honesty.
I did hear somewhere it's the best policy.

Though I'm minded to think there's only one person one needs to be truly honest with.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:43 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:59 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Enoch wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thinking, or doing?

Though I'm minded to think there's only one person one needs to be truly honest with.
Oh indeed, but it's so much easier to see that in retrospect. We all thinks we're making the right decisions, or at least tell ourselves we are, at the time.Arrogance, selfishness, pride, vanity and just plain pig-headdness. How may of us don't suffer all of them sometime?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:43 pm
Enoch wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:59 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Enoch wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thinking, or doing?

Oh indeed, but it's so much easier to see that in retrospect. We all thinks we're making the right decisions, or at least tell ourselves we are, at the time.Arrogance, selfishness, pride, vanity and just plain pig-headdness. How may of us don't suffer all of them sometime?
Quite often it's a matter of how many of them we don't suffer all at the same time for most of the time.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:09 pm

I am reliably told that next week (Wednesday) the first ever photograph of a black hole will be published.
I can quite confidently state it will be a big disappointment. It might be pretty. It will certainly be groundbreaking. But, like Theresa May, it will lack substance, be boring, but mostly it will be completely irrelevant.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:09 pm
I am reliably told that next week (Wednesday) the first ever photograph of a black hole will be published.
I can quite confidently state it will be a big disappointment. It might be pretty. It will certainly be groundbreaking. But, like Theresa May, it will lack substance, be boring, but mostly it will be completely irrelevant.
Been following the development of this breakthrough. I'm bound to agree with your assertion regard disappointment, unless they have photoshop.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:22 pm

Given a photograph is a representation of the light recorded being reflected through the lens, and given one of the characteristics of black holes is that they don't tend to let out a whole lot of light, should be a belter!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:42 pm

A photograph of a black hole?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:11 pm

A photo of one's accretion disk! :shock:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:11 pm
A photo of one's accretion disk! :shock:
I once tried to bed a cosmologist by asking her if I could explore her fundamental particles. I was turned down. It must be even harder for the younger generation : "can I probe your accretion disk?" : *Smack*.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:22 pm
Given a photograph is a representation of the light recorded being reflected through the lens, and given one of the characteristics of black holes is that they don't tend to let out a whole lot of light, should be a belter!
Here you go. An insight as to what you should see. If only we were Masters of the Galaxy.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2019/04/t ... black-hole
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Here you go. An insight as to what you should see. If only we were Masters of the Galaxy.

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2019/04/t ... black-hole
As a kid, I never fancied taking a Journey into Space. I was always far more comfortable riding the range on planet Wild West. Guess I'm more of a Christopher Columbus than a Dan Dare. I probably won't get to see a thousandth part of what's down here; I'll Get to know about what's out there soon enough most likely :lol: