Top 5 of all time...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Top 5 of all time...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:38 pm

4) Keswick - its lovely - would love to live round there if I make retirement (or below).
A few years ago myself and a few friends (who feel exactly the same about Keswick as you and I) looked into the possibility of buying a small place between us. The idea being that we'd each have it as a timeshare and use a lettings agency to let it out at other times. Anyway, there's basically a covenant on Keswick properties which stops the likes of me and my mates pitching up and doing exactly that. Quite right too really as beforehand locals were getting priced out of their own town.

For my retirement, in the feint hope that I might be able to afford it, I've earmarked Portinscale ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:28 pm

Been 5 times to Playa Del Carmen since 2001. We stay a short way out of Del Carmen in Playacar. It's still pretty perfect! But the "timeshare bandits" were a lot more prevalent last time out than first time out, when we didn't see a one, and we have noticed a drop in service and quality since...
It was Playacar where we stayed. Iberostar Tucan as I recall, and yes a short walk away from Playa del Carmen itself.

Me and Our Kid shared an apartment. The maid pretty swiftly sussed our drinking habits and made sure that our fridge was heartily replenished with beer every day :) Anyway, it was almost embarrassing the way she looked after us over the course of the fortnight, hanging our stuff up / out to dry and all sorts. So, on the last day we made a point of clocking when she was doing our place so that we could nip up to thank her. I'm not sure how much/little maids get paid in Mexico but she burst into tears when we gave her something like £50.
Stayed at the Tucan 4 times! Brill.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:46 pm

Ok, tough one this, we travelled abroad a bit before kids but since their arrival have been limited cost wise to the U.K. Still been to some lovely places though.

1. My friends farm in Devon. If I could go back anywhere it would be here. They don’t own it now sadly but had some amazing working holidays there helping with milking and calving. Very happy memories

2. Dominican Republic - amazing weather, beautiful beaches. Would love to go back to the Caribbean.

3. New York - would love to take the kids some day! I’d like to go at Christmas time next, bet it’s magical then.

4. Sweden. We visited Stockholm which was a beautiful clean city with such fresh air (compared to Toronto which we had been to just before that). I have a Swedish aunt and would love to explore more of Sweden. If I had to live in another country I’d chose there.

5. Tenby in wales just beat St Ives in Cornwall. We holidayed in Pembrokeshire last year and really recommend it. Youngest on one of Tenby’s beaches ⬇️
Attachments
18447CC5-7E0C-4A68-8A9E-740B06782705.jpeg
18447CC5-7E0C-4A68-8A9E-740B06782705.jpeg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 1112 times

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:53 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Maldives is a close runner up - and would make the list in all honesty if the effect of tourism there on the natural beauty and the planet generally was a bit less appalling.
It is an issue, but there are several resorts that really do take the issue seriously and do an awful lot to mitigate the impact. The same can be said for pretty much anywhere people visit, There are major issues in my part of the world, but without tourism life on these islands wouldn't be viable. It's about making tourism more sustainable. Less day trippers and short stayers and have folk stay longer would give us a better balance of people and income, which in term would benefit the environmental side.
Oh absolutely the problems are just more immediate, obvious and overt in the Maldives. With major beach erosion, rising sea levels, the huge 'rubbish island', fresh water supply issues, and of course the loss of natural habitat (especially coral reef). Tourism is amazing in terms of their economy but contributing to all the problems above to greater or lesser degrees. Not advocating people don't go - I have no idea what the answer is. Its just very 'in your face obvious' when you go that you are part of this problem...and I felt guilty in the small plane all the way until I was sipping the first cocktail on the balcony.........

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:53 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Maldives is a close runner up - and would make the list in all honesty if the effect of tourism there on the natural beauty and the planet generally was a bit less appalling.
It is an issue, but there are several resorts that really do take the issue seriously and do an awful lot to mitigate the impact. The same can be said for pretty much anywhere people visit, There are major issues in my part of the world, but without tourism life on these islands wouldn't be viable. It's about making tourism more sustainable. Less day trippers and short stayers and have folk stay longer would give us a better balance of people and income, which in term would benefit the environmental side.
Oh absolutely the problems are just more immediate, obvious and overt in the Maldives. With major beach erosion, rising sea levels, the huge 'rubbish island', fresh water supply issues, and of course the loss of natural habitat (especially coral reef). Tourism is amazing in terms of their economy but contributing to all the problems above to greater or lesser degrees. Not advocating people don't go - I have no idea what the answer is. Its just very 'in your face obvious' when you go that you are part of this problem...and I felt guilty in the small plane all the way until I was sipping the first cocktail on the balcony.........
Hopefully more of the tourist taxes will be spent on things like better waste management. Many resorts are doing a very good job minimising plastic and waste and hopefully the rest will catch up. As a place to just 'be' there is nowhere that comes close for me. The first visit I was worried what I'd do apart from eat and drink and that'd get bored, but definitely not a problem :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:51 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Hopefully more of the tourist taxes will be spent on things like better waste management. Many resorts are doing a very good job minimising plastic and waste and hopefully the rest will catch up. As a place to just 'be' there is nowhere that comes close for me. The first visit I was worried what I'd do apart from eat and drink and that'd get bored, but definitely not a problem :)
Agreed, the Maldives are absolutely unique in that you stay on a resort, but never ever are bored (though I'm not totally sure a non snorkeler or diver would enjoy it as much). Would love to go to Bali some day - not sure that will ever happen but sounds amazing.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:51 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Agreed, the Maldives are absolutely unique in that you stay on a resort, but never ever are bored (though I'm not totally sure a non snorkeler or diver would enjoy it as much). Would love to go to Bali some day - not sure that will ever happen but sounds amazing.
I'm a non snorkel er due to knacked knees. Still never been bored there. As long as I have a book, my camera and an appetite I'm good. Between walking. Photographing, eating, chatting to staff watching the fish from the deck or shallows there isn't enough time :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:40 pm

In no particular order
- Mayan Riviera
- Italy (especially Florence, Venice and Sicily)
- Caribbean (especially Barbados, Sint Maaerwn and Curacao)
- US National parks in Wyoming, South Dakota, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and California.
- Canadian Rockies.

50 quid is a lot in Mexico, Bruce (and this was back when the pound was worth ten shillings).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:43 pm

This is a tough ask;

1) Another vote for New York. I love the place. Each time we've been, we've gone further afield and to the lesser visited places. Theres just so much to do, you could go annually for years.

2) Argentina - Widely differing landscapes from north to south, Buenos Aires is an amazing city, food is great if you're a meat eater, the people were lovely.

3) Namibia - Loved it here. Remote, amazing wildlife, safe, lots to do.

4) The Dolomites- Probably the most beautiful place I've ever been to. Fantastic scenery, amazing walks, beautiful food.

5) Lots of places could have nicked my last spot but Berlin wins, just. Was disappointed when I went with a lads group several years ago, as it's not a place that lends itself to boozing from bar to bar. The history and cultural stuff is 2nd to none though. Driving a trabant along the old wall was a real buzz!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:05 am

How about favourite football shirts you have owned (or just liked)? You don’t have to be sad like me and put a photo montage together, I just have time as Mr GG doing school run today and given you’re not Arsenal fans you’d have no clue which I was talking about otherwise, as I suspect I won’t with yours. :wink:

Anyway from L-R

1. Maroon home shirt 05/06 we wore for the last season at Highbury. Love the colours, love the history

2. White away shirt 07/08 purely as I have some great memories of wearing it.

3. My first ever shirt away 95/96. Dad insisted I got Platt on the back and not our other summer signing ‘Bergkamp’ as less letters meant it was cheaper. Still bitter about this now.

4. The Shirt that my son got given as a kit with ‘Merci Arsene’ on the back when he was mascot for Wengers last game 17/18 season.

5. Double winning kit 97/98 because well, glorious happy Arsenal following Days!
Attachments
9453C9AE-5B7F-4E93-994E-AE8392E17AB4.jpeg
9453C9AE-5B7F-4E93-994E-AE8392E17AB4.jpeg (439.5 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:35 am

Like this one.

In no particular order, 5 of my favourites (either owned by me, or by my lad from cheapo Turkish kit shops on hols...)

- Lyon 2018-19
- Scotland Away 1992
- Bolton away 1995
- Germany 1990
- River Plate 2016
Attachments
Lyon 2019.jpg
Lyon 2019.jpg (31.69 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
Germany 1990.jpg
Germany 1990.jpg (14.1 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
River plate 2016.jpg
River plate 2016.jpg (77.11 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
Last edited by dave the minion on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:37 am

You’re a fan of a white kit then Dave?!

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am

there is a theme....

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:41 am

dave the minion wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 am
there is a theme....
I like the Lyon one!

Don’t really buy shirts for me anymore but the kids own a fair few between them.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:44 am

Think the Lyon one is my favourite of all time. Like a much better version of the classic England Hummel one...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:27 am

Well I cant post pictures, Enfield school of technology graduate, me :) so you'll have to use your imagination.

1) Ajax at home. A timeless classic. I had one as a kid.

2) Barcelona (H) 1970s. No sponsorship. Just a nice striped number.

3) Bolton 3rd 1990-92. The gingham classic. Looked good with a pair of jeans too if you weren't too old or fat!

4) West Germany (h) 1970s. Another classic.

5) East Germany (h) 1970s. I recently bought one off ebay. Lovely dark blue with white v neck collar and DDR across the front.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:27 am
Well I cant post pictures, Enfield school of technology graduate, me :) so you'll have to use your imagination.

3) Bolton 3rd 1990-92. The gingham classic. Looked good with a pair of jeans too if you weren't too old or fat!

5) East Germany (h) 1970s. I recently bought one off ebay. Lovely dark blue with white v neck collar and DDR across the front.
I love a bit of gingham but a gingham football shirt?! Really?! :shock:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:32 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:36 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:27 am

I love a bit of gingham but a gingham football shirt?! Really?! :shock:
Google BWFC Gingham shirt. It's that lovely pale blue number with Reebok on it. It's a belter.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:29 pm

Can’t be arsed with pics. Google if you want to know what they look like. 😉

1. BWFC home 1988-90 - White shirt with blue and red panels across the shoulders. A thing of beauty!

2. BWFC away 1988-90 - Red shirt with white and blue panels across the shoulders.

3. BWFC Umbro long sleeved home shirt 1977-80 My first Wanderers shirt! 😍

4. Juventus away 2015/16 - Black with gold markings - Lovely shirt

5. Peru 1978 World Cup home - White with a red sash - A timeless classic. Especially after seeing them thump the Jocks whilst wearing it!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:26 pm

Is this the Umbro long-sleeved one, BP? It's the only football shirt I own and was gift. It's buried somewhere in my chest of drawers; I must dig it out and wear it again as the cooler weather is upon us.
There's nothing like over-emphasising a brand on the product. :shock:

I have just ferreted it out. It's not quite the same as the image as it doesn't have the Umbro name beneath the logo on the right chest and the 'wings' under the club logo do not have the white highlights but dark blue.
Attachments
bwfc shirt - home 1977-1980 Umbro.jpg
bwfc shirt - home 1977-1980 Umbro.jpg (50.16 KiB) Viewed 1009 times