Rugby Union

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rugby Union 2022.

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:30 pm
Half time in the France v Ireland game just as we kick off at 3-oclock. Scotland v Wales at 4-45 just as we finish. Ha, this sporting life.. :D
We're tomorrow, TD...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:46 am
Is George Ford still injured? I thought we might see him included for this Six Nations squad. Surprised too at leaving Marcus Smith out?
I think these two questions are related, somewhat (and what Borthwick has done with Farrell gor today's match.) Ford hasn't for 8/9 months recovering from an achille's injury. He's fly half.

Farrell and Smith are also fly halves, albeit, we have had selection nosebleeds, trying to play them at the same time, so we've had Smith at 10 and Farrell at 12 (centre). There's been much debate as to whether they complement each other or get in each others way, metaphorically. My opinion is that they don't work well together. I'm undecided whether Smith is genuinely and consistently international class and Owen isn't getting any younger

We've also tinkered with lots of other positions, other than these two, especially in the pack back 5. If we add to this, Itoje isn't at his absolute best currently, and some of the older guard in for their scrummaging technique have had a couple of lessons handed out in the last 12 months, it's little wonder there's been poor and patchy form.

So, to finally get to the response, in a lengthier post than I was anticipating, Borthwick has "made some calls," certainly for today. He's picked players in their actual positions. This meant he had to call Smith or Farrell at 10, which he's done calling Farrell.

I think, looking at the prevailing views, most are happy that he's picked players to play where they normally do. Some Smith supporters aren't happy as they tend to blame Farrell (playing outside him) every time Smith has a quiet game - too often for my liking, needs to earn his spurs when we're backs to the wall.

Italy ran France a good game last time out, but we should win against Italy. The longer term problem is, if we do win, folks probably won't say it was all down to the selections, but rather Italy aren't a tier 1 team. So it won't settle the Smith v Farrell debate. We're we to lose, then Farrell's international days might well be more behind him than in front of him. The real test assuming we don't go back to two 10's, one playing at 12, will be who we select v Ireland, France and maybe Wales and how they play.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:43 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Half time in the France v Ireland game just as we kick off at 3-oclock. Scotland v Wales at 4-45 just as we finish. Ha, this sporting life.. :D
We're tomorrow, TD...
Aye, I know. I'll be watching... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:46 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:43 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
We're tomorrow, TD...
Aye, I know. I'll be watching... :oyea:
Ahh, we kick off as in Bolton rather than England...Gotcha.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:44 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:46 am
Is George Ford still injured? I thought we might see him included for this Six Nations squad. Surprised too at leaving Marcus Smith out?
I think these two questions are related, somewhat (and what Borthwick has done with Farrell gor today's match.) Ford hasn't for 8/9 months recovering from an achille's injury. He's fly half.

Farrell and Smith are also fly halves, albeit, we have had selection nosebleeds, trying to play them at the same time, so we've had Smith at 10 and Farrell at 12 (centre). There's been much debate as to whether they complement each other or get in each others way, metaphorically. My opinion is that they don't work well together. I'm undecided whether Smith is genuinely and consistently international class and Owen isn't getting any younger

We've also tinkered with lots of other positions, other than these two, especially in the pack back 5. If we add to this, Itoje isn't at his absolute best currently, and some of the older guard in for their scrummaging technique have had a couple of lessons handed out in the last 12 months, it's little wonder there's been poor and patchy form.

So, to finally get to the response, in a lengthier post than I was anticipating, Borthwick has "made some calls," certainly for today. He's picked players in their actual positions. This meant he had to call Smith or Farrell at 10, which he's done calling Farrell.

I think, looking at the prevailing views, most are happy that he's picked players to play where they normally do. Some Smith supporters aren't happy as they tend to blame Farrell (playing outside him) every time Smith has a quiet game - too often for my liking, needs to earn his spurs when we're backs to the wall.

Italy ran France a good game last time out, but we should win against Italy. The longer term problem is, if we do win, folks probably won't say it was all down to the selections, but rather Italy aren't a tier 1 team. So it won't settle the Smith v Farrell debate. We're we to lose, then Farrell's international days might well be more behind him than in front of him. The real test assuming we don't go back to two 10's, one playing at 12, will be who we select v Ireland, France and maybe Wales and how they play.
Cheers for the info Worthy. :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:01 pm

Two good games today, the France v Ireland was a cracker despite Ireland being without their talisman, Jonny Sexton, who was injured. The ding -dong 80 mins shows just why football times wasting is such a frustrating joke. Packed audiences and top entertainment.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:17 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:01 pm
Two good games today, the France v Ireland was a cracker despite Ireland being without their talisman, Jonny Sexton, who was injured. The ding -dong 80 mins shows just why football times wasting is such a frustrating joke. Packed audiences and top entertainment.
My best day out ever, doesn't have Bolton in it, nor does it have the Long Room at Lords...So many happy memories of Twickenham, some with my old fella. Thanks Dad.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:12 pm

Job done for England but it may just be me thinking we nearly let the Italians back at us. I'll stand educating but I got a bit nervous second half. (The Italians have been watching The Godfather, I think, and learned a few tricks.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:12 pm
Job done for England but it may just be me thinking we nearly let the Italians back at us. I'll stand educating but I got a bit nervous second half. (The Italians have been watching The Godfather, I think, and learned a few tricks.
I don't think our replacements really worked in our favour to be honest, lost a bit of direction and intent, so it wasn't your imagination TD :-) Overall we looked better for the first 50 mins, forwards steppes up a gear. But the acid tests will likely be the next three. Although Wales got beaten by a Scotland side who have been threatening for a couple of seasons, they never make it easy, France were beaten by the better team, but a decent away performance. Ireland are looking very impressive (as they did going into last RWC), but they seem to have some steel about them. Going to be a tough next three games for England, they need a lot more than we showed today...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:52 am

Could Mike Brown ( one of my favourite players)get back into the limelight at 39? He thinks so ?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:52 am
Could Mike Brown ( one of my favourite players)get back into the limelight at 39? He thinks so ?
Long route back for him. He's not had a club since May and is on a short term deal to cover international call-ups. To get an international call up on the basis on one excellent performance (only going off what I read) and with his last international 5 years ago, isn't going to happen barring a plague.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:16 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:31 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Long route back for him. He's not had a club since May and is on a short term deal to cover international call-ups. To get an international call up on the basis on one excellent performance (only going off what I read) and with his last international 5 years ago, isn't going to happen barring a plague.
Aye, I suppose so. Shame though, he went out of it too soon. Good luck o him anyway. :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:52 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:16 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:31 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Aye, I suppose so. Shame though, he went out of it too soon. Good luck o him anyway. :oyea:
I think we spend a lot of time (rightly) trying to get the right balance for the Rugby World Cup. So 2015 with Brown amongst others, we crashed out at home in the group stages. That's in the realms of "unforgiveable" - ok I've forgiven them :-) - England's worst performance ever at a RWC finals, and first time a team that had been previous champions got hoofed at the group stage. Cost Stuart Lancaster his job.

So we went into 2016/2017 with Eddie as boss. Grand Slam in six nations in 2016 and winners in 2017 - so far so good. And Brown was amongst those who hadn't been "retired" from 2015's disaster...

But along came 2018 and we finished 5th out of the 6 - with the next world cup just around the corner in 2019. Some jumped and others were pushed - there were 8 changes from the 2018 last match team (including other notables like Robshaw and Haskell) to the 2019 first match team in the six nations.

Brown was a bit of a weird one - to be fair - as we went from him to Elliot Daly (who played all across the back-line, but I think most would have regarded as a winger) - I think there were a few worried about what would happen if Daly were to come up against the All Blacks etc. But history shows that we made it to the 2019 final...So in the round, it's difficult to criticise the tough decisions taken at the end of the 2018 six nations...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:23 pm

Union seems to have moved on very quickly from the Wilkinson, De Lallio, Bod, O Gara era to loads of new faces. Bit of a surprise to see Dan Cole still in there, thought he'd retired. Hope we have enough current fire-power to compete. When I first started watching rugby meant Billy Boston and Eddie Waring. . Wade Dooley was in his prime. Even that seems a lifetime ago. :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:23 pm
Union seems to have moved on very quickly from the Wilkinson, De Lallio, Bod, O Gara era to loads of new faces. Bit of a surprise to see Dan Cole still in there, thought he'd retired. Hope we have enough current fire-power to compete. When I first started watching. Wade Dooley was in his prime. Even that seems a lifetime ago. :wink:
Yeah, remember big Wade (and Neary, Fran Cotton and the likes) - you suspect Dan Cole's been given a new lease of life, because the in the Autumn Internationals, our scrum pretty much collapsed in the big games. The Saffers walked it round Twickers like a Chihuahua...

I doubt the time itself has moved very quickly - Jonny's last match was 12 years ago, Dallaglio finished 16 years ago! Ronan and O'D a bit more recent...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:18 pm

There is one very apparent factor that emerges from Rugby to even the most biased "egg-chucker" mockers, particularly right now, and that is fitness. Supposedly super-fit footballers are falling all around regularly like out of date daffodils yet rugby players who take part weekly in mini world wars, soldier on bandaged up like Egyptian mummies. Your average "large"man on the street, ie anyone approaching fifteen stone, would probably invite a heart attack sprinting thirty yards for a bus, yet the "big lads" of a rugby union pack ( not to mention the rest) can be anything up to twenty stone and hurtle about a field for eighty minutes weekly.

Maybe we should send the Whites to Wigan, Leigh, Salford, Bury. Rochdale or Castleton for training? Billy Vinipola and co would have em for breakfast.. :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:32 pm

Big day today, Wales v England in Cardiff 4-45 on ITV 1 just as Bolton finish.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:32 pm
Big day today, Wales v England in Cardiff 4-45 on ITV 1 just as Bolton finish.
Yeah. I have a mixture of anticipation and trepidation. They're at home having been gubbed by a decent Scotland. Pride is at stake as well as the possibility that the loser might well finish 5th. Whatever their contract problems are and recent form, they'll look to put that behind them for England...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:11 pm

Dominant first 20 from England, but concerned we've not translated it enough on the scoreboard...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:36 pm

I should probably by happy going into HT with a 5 point lead, but I'm not too impressed. We've probably had 34 minutes of the 40, dominating ball and field. At best we'd have had an 11 point advantage. Instead we have 5, and they could've flipped it in the 4 minutes before the break. Two sides not at anywhere near their best. Needs more inspiration 2nd half.